S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Nav in 2014 S4

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav in 2014 S4

I'm getting ready to purchase my first Audi and I'm looking at what options to get in a 2014 S4. My biggest concern is whether to get the nav or not.

I don't think I need the navigation feature itself (maps on my cell phone are more than adequate) but I am very interested in any audio/music features that you need the nav option to get. I've searched the forums to get as much information as possible on this but with all the different mmi versions, and most of the information being about the nav versions, it's hard to find a clear list of what you don't get without the navigation.

Could anyone help me out? The specific things I'm curious about are:
  • Bluetooth audio streaming capability (salesman said the non nav version does this but I've found contradictory information here)
  • Any limitations related to playing MP3 files from an SD card
  • Displaying of album artwork (from ipod, bluetooth, or SD card)
  • Audio quality difference with the Bang & Olufsen option

If there are features that make the nav a must have I would love to know about them before I skip it and regret it down the road.

Any insight that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Also thanks to everyone here for all the great information this forum has already provided me.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boondagle
I'm getting ready to purchase my first Audi and I'm looking at what options to get in a 2014 S4. My biggest concern is whether to get the nav or not.

I don't think I need the navigation feature itself (maps on my cell phone are more than adequate) but I am very interested in any audio/music features that you need the nav option to get. I've searched the forums to get as much information as possible on this but with all the different mmi versions, and most of the information being about the nav versions, it's hard to find a clear list of what you don't get without the navigation.

Could anyone help me out? The specific things I'm curious about are:
  • Bluetooth audio streaming capability (salesman said the non nav version does this but I've found contradictory information here)
  • Any limitations related to playing MP3 files from an SD card
  • Displaying of album artwork (from ipod, bluetooth, or SD card)
  • Audio quality difference with the Bang & Olufsen option

If there are features that make the nav a must have I would love to know about them before I skip it and regret it down the road.

Any insight that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Also thanks to everyone here for all the great information this forum has already provided me.
Hi and welcome to Audi World!

To my knowledge you can only stream your songs from your smart phone using Bluetooth with the Navi.

Also you will not be able to take advantage of the individual drive select option without the Nav. I can't confirm if it's true since I have not tried it on a car without it.

You will also get the rear view camera with the Nav which is kind of cool however for an old school driver like me it takes time getting used to it.

I'm glad that I got my S4 with the Nav even though just for navigation purposes it seems like you can't justify the up charge!

Last edited by shivamerlin; 07-07-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I leased a 2101 s4 without Nav. or B&O. don't really miss it. BUT, I have a 2014 on order with both. Nav gives you a better B&O radio and ability to customize the sport dif setting along with some other features . If you can afford the Nav, I suggest you get it.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Starting with the 2013 model, the A4 Prestige or separately as options w/Premium Plus, provides for the full MMI 3G Nav+ features and B&O (see this link https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907 re the entertainment options), Bluetooth audio and hard drive Jukebox included.
(I believe Bluetooth Audio is only available as part of the 3G Nav+).

The Prestige trim gives you so much more than just Nav and B&O. You also will have the full digital MOST system which keeps the signals in the digital domain to the amplifiers (with SD cards and Jukebox). Then there's voice control, a much larger map integrated into the car vs. your phone, Audi Connect with Google online search, Advanced Key and lots of other great features. I had an '09 A4 Prestige which didn't have Bluetooth Audio, a much lamer Nav system, Audi Connect and I still never regretted it. The B&O was a terrific value as an option back then and now Nav with 3G Nav+ are included in the Prestige.

At the least I would recommend you go for the Prem+ and get Nav+ and B&O. The two together provide powerful features and great sound.

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-08-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You also miss the rear car camera.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone. It sounds like going with the nav is the way to go.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by boondagle
Thanks everyone. It sounds like going with the nav is the way to go.
I felt exactly the way you did, and ended up getting the nav so I could get HD radio, BT audio, and the rear view camera. Honestly though, I've really fallen in love with the nav system and voice commands. I never have to worry about my phone sliding all over or draining it's battery.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I felt exactly the way you did, and ended up getting the nav so I could get HD radio, BT audio, and the rear view camera. Honestly though, I've really fallen in love with the nav system and voice commands. I never have to worry about my phone sliding all over or draining it's battery.
Not to mention avoiding the added safety issue of operating nav on the phone while driving.