S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Need advice on negotiating on s4

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcdb4
I'm am seriously looking at the S4 and am looking for some advice on what the norm is for negotiating over invoice. What is the prevailing consensus on what dealers are willing to live with when it comes to the S4. i'm looking at the premium plus, with silk nappa seats, sports dif and i'm willing to order and wait.

Any insight much appreciated
I offered a flat 3% over invoice of the base car and then negotiated the price on each option individually. I ended up apying roughly 80-90% of each quoted option price. Some options have more "wiggle room" for the dealer to work with you on. Since I ordered my car as a special build it was easy to be more aggresive with negotiating since there was no financial risk on their part (buying a car from the parent company that they might not sell quickly). Good luck and 4 more short weeks till it gets here!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

put in an order on s4 using zags and got 300 over invoice, saved a bunch of time and run around. Now i have to simply wait. 'just got 16 inches of snow so not a problem. Brilliant black, silk nappa black/red, b&o, sport diff.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

To all who paid a certain $ over invoice, does the invoice price include anything beyond what you see on Edmunds.com or KBB.com? For example, did the dealer invoice include regional advertising fee, port fee, prep fee or any legitimate or bogus fees tacked on?

If anybody has bought in SoCal, how much is the regional advertising fee? For BMW, there is a $360 advertising fee plus a $180 service training fee on top of the KBB or Edmunds.com invoice prices on the base car and options. So we are talking about $500 or more tacked onto the invoice numbers available to consumers. Fortunately I placed a Euro delivery order and these fees did not apply to my car.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
To all who paid a certain $ over invoice, does the invoice price include anything beyond what you see on Edmunds.com or KBB.com? For example, did the dealer invoice include regional advertising fee, port fee, prep fee or any legitimate or bogus fees tacked on?

If anybody has bought in SoCal, how much is the regional advertising fee? For BMW, there is a $360 advertising fee plus a $180 service training fee on top of the KBB or Edmunds.com invoice prices on the base car and options. So we are talking about $500 or more tacked onto the invoice numbers available to consumers. Fortunately I placed a Euro delivery order and these fees did not apply to my car.
I'm wondering this too, as I think I may be possibly be signing a lease this weekend on an S4 using the Amex/Zag pricing. Selling price should be $300 over invoice.

Could any surprises be thrown in the up-front fees?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Euro Delivery

Excellent points everyone..

Anyone has any experience using Amex/Costco programs while negotiating for a Euro delivery order? Can we just ask for 5% off the Amex/Costco price?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aj25
I'm wondering this too, as I think I may be possibly be signing a lease this weekend on an S4 using the Amex/Zag pricing. Selling price should be $300 over invoice.

Could any surprises be thrown in the up-front fees?
My dealer has a sign that states $500 will be added to any negotiated price. It is for extra dealer profit, advertising, handling, etc. For example, if we settle on $300 over invoice, I will end up paying $800 over the Edmunds invoice.

Has anyone been able to negotiate this "extra" charge out?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My zag price included all that and the dealer honored 48,294, plus tax. There was 25 bucks for inspection and NYS tire fee, and 75 for processing title, and registration and that is it.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dpnx
My dealer has a sign that states $500 will be added to any negotiated price. It is for extra dealer profit, advertising, handling, etc. For example, if we settle on $300 over invoice, I will end up paying $800 over the Edmunds invoice.

Has anyone been able to negotiate this "extra" charge out?

This is absolutely nothing more than an additional bit of subterfuge by the dealer to boost their profit. I would tell them to take that out of the equation from the get go. Similar issues come up with trade-in allowances vs asking price for the new car. If they give on one end they try to get it back on the other. If they won't cooperate then offer them what you consider a fair price and tell them to divvy it up for their internal book keeping any way they want. If they turn it down keep looking. Nothing motivates them more than having customers walk out of the showroom.

Having vented all that, there was no extra charges in the offers I got from three different dealers in New England.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went to a dealer yesterday to kindly ask if they would match the zag price other dealers were honoring. They were offended Audi's were being sold "so cheap".

They ended up offering a lease that was $20 more a month, but after making me wait 90 minutes for a 5 minute test drive in a car with an empty gas tank, and witnessing their manager have a temper tantrum over $300 over invoice S4's, I decided to go elsewhere. Looks like I'll be signing a lease tonight at their competitor.

Anyway, moral of the story I suppose, not all dealers will even give light of day to the Zag pricing.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by aj25
I went to a dealer yesterday to kindly ask if they would match the zag price other dealers were honoring. They were offended Audi's were being sold "so cheap".

They ended up offering a lease that was $20 more a month, but after making me wait 90 minutes for a 5 minute test drive in a car with an empty gas tank, and witnessing their manager have a temper tantrum over $300 over invoice S4's, I decided to go elsewhere. Looks like I'll be signing a lease tonight at their competitor.

Anyway, moral of the story I suppose, not all dealers will even give light of day to the Zag pricing.
Can you share the name of the dealer? I am in the market and would like to avoid wasting my time if a dealer is not willing to negotiate

Quick Reply: Need advice on negotiating on s4