S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Need opinion on S4 CPO price.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinion on S4 CPO price.

Hi guys,

A local dealer has a 2011 S4, CPO, 24,000 miles, Premium Plus, DSG, Navigation, 19" wheels, carbon fiber interior, black exterior, black alcantara. Car looks to be in excellent condition, but the hood shows some minor micro scratches when looking closely - probably from carwash. One owner, carfax is clean. Right now the car is listed at $51,990 which I think is seriously overpriced when compared to brand new S4.

I'm also alternatively looking at 2012 A4 Avant Prestige CPO, 12,300 miles, S Line (with Alcantara trim), Titanium Package, Auto Transmission, excellent condition, one owner, clean carfax. Listed by dealer for $47,900 which again is not very attractive.

Buying new can allow me to get better loan rates, 1500 audi loyalty discount and hopefully close to invoice price. Buying CPO would make sense for saving some money and getting the extra CPO warranty. If I bought a new S4, I would probably get just the Premium Plus and Navigation and that's it.

The currently listed prices are not interesting to me at all and I'm not sure if that's just how the market is or if dealers are just putting these so high to create negotiation room. I understand that people list higher prices so that they can negotiate down, but to me these seem way too high. Your thoughts? What do you think would be a fair target price for these cars? I don't want to low-ball the dealer with uneducated guess.

I haven't been following S4 prices lately and any of your help would be greatly appreciated. I own two Audis and have been hanging out on these forums on and off for good 10 years, but don't post often - had to setup a new account today just to post as I don't remember my old one
Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Used cars are silly expensive right now. I ultimately decided I'd rather pay a little extra and get a brand new S4 optioned exactly the way I wanted. According to my dealer I will have it in about 6 weeks.

If you think the prices are too high, then they're too high. Try to negotiate them down. If you can't get them low enough to where you feel comfortable consider buying new or expanding your search radius and be patient.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also looked at the used/CPO market but couldn't find what I wanted or when close, couldn't get a deal done due to the almost new pricing and unwillingness to budge. In the end, I found a new dealer who was aggressively discounting and oulled the trigger on exactly what I wanted.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you type of person who keeps a car for a long time? If not, then who cares about the CPO! But yea, the way I usually do it is get the KBB price then knock a few g's off. Makes me feel better about myself if I'm buying below book value.

For reference, my non-CPO 2011 S4 with 20k miles was mid 40s. The car is a premium plus with most of the options you want.

Do your homework, it helps a lot with negotiating... Unless if they have the best price around, then it gets more difficult
Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Used cars are silly expensive right now. I ultimately decided I'd rather pay a little extra and get a brand new S4 optioned exactly the way I wanted. According to my dealer I will have it in about 6 weeks.
I agree on a car like an S4. Contrary to popular belief though, used car pricing profit-margin-wise is is a scam. The scam starts with KBB or NADA or even EDMUNDS and how they communicate that they are disclosing what cars are worth. Its a bunch of bs. These sources cater to dealerships who are trying to sell the car. Blackbook (aka auction price) is the true value of any car - ask anyone in te business who is willing to be honest (I know, an honest car salesman doesn exist)

As an example, a 2010 S4 Prestige DSG with 20K miles is worth $34-$40K black book ($40K being on the high side) So a dealer will offer at most $38-$40K as a trade (more likely $38K) if you had such a car that you wanted to trade fro a new model. Ofcourse the trade conceals the real value if the dealer is inflating the replacement car.

So what I ahve always done in the past 15 years is I Try to sell my trade Carmax and that will give me what my car truly is worth and it will also give me u an idea of what any dealer truly will pay for my car. Once the dealer buys my car at blackbook value, he will sell it for atleast 15% over blackbook (depending on the model of the car)

Remember though, dealers always establish a high ceiling on pre-owned pricing. They do this as a psychological ploy to make the buyer think they are getting a good deal. Your goal is to find out what a car is worth blackbook and then allow a 12-14% markup (you have to allow some markup to get the car in sellable condition).

The 12-14% you pay is your willingness to pay 12-14% more than the pre-owned car is truly worth in the market. That sux but thats the way it goes. Us owners get killed on blackbook. You could sell it outright but then you have to deal with state tax on a replacement

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 05-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for your responses. How do I find the black book value? I went to http://www.blackbookusa.com website and it looks they only sell subscriptions to business and not individuals.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Move on to a better deal, it'll come ...

Originally Posted by p6889k
Thanks everyone for your responses. How do I find the black book value? I went to http://www.blackbookusa.com website and it looks they only sell subscriptions to business and not individuals.
Keep looking, you'll find a much better CPO deal really! It took me 6 months & don't regret the decision.

For $45,900 (+$1K to ship) I just bought a CPO '11 S4 with 12K P+ Ti MMI B&O Nappa 6spd. It was listed for $47,900.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

if you're going to buy used, be patient and shop all over the country. in most cases, the additional shipping charge is nominal. $48k for a used A4 avant? LOL