S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Need some insight - Loss of power - engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some insight - Loss of power - engine won't start

Hi all, need some insight to see if anyone has had the same issue or may know what is going on with my car.

Last week when i was driving mid drive in about 3-4 gear all of a sudden the car lost power, engine power.. seems i step on the gas but there is no response then it came back again.
I didn't think anything of it till it happened again yesterday.
Now today when i tried to start my car after work, i could hear the engine making the start up noise but it wouldn't start, so it kept turning, tried a few times and same thing. Waited five minutes and it was fine, and now the car drives fine... bizarre... made it home and i started it again and started like normal.

wonder if this is worth a trip to the dealer? i don't want to go all the way there for them to tell me they cannot replicate anything as it is very very random, but i also don't want to be stuck somewhere either.

Any thoughts guys? thanks!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lack of response from the gas pedal is not normal and could be dangerous. I would have it checked by a dealer or at least someone with a vagcom cable. The car should have some info stored on this event. My first thoughts are fuel pump or a related sensor but I am no mechanic.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Zulujams is spot on about potential danger. If it were me I would be at a dealer yesterday (with my VAG-COM report in hand).
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey tofuking (tofu-king, or to-fuking, hmmm!), any updates on this? Please let us know if you get a scan of your car or have a dealer check it out. We definitely don't want to hear later that you turned in front of oncoming traffic and had the issue reoccur. Hope to hear back from you on this. Cars should go when you press the gas pedal--S4s more so than many other cars out there!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Alright so while trying to get to the dealer car wouldn't start... had to call roadside, flat bed to the dealer...
damn tow truck driver made a nice scratch on my bumper near the tow hitch while he was trying to open the plastic opening... then i found out he let the car scrape when letting off the truck...

anyway, should hear from the dealer tomorrow to see what is going on... hope it's nothing too major

Originally Posted by zulujams
Hey tofuking (tofu-king, or to-fuking, hmmm!), any updates on this? Please let us know if you get a scan of your car or have a dealer check it out. We definitely don't want to hear later that you turned in front of oncoming traffic and had the issue reoccur. Hope to hear back from you on this. Cars should go when you press the gas pedal--S4s more so than many other cars out there!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ouch. At least you weren't stranded away from home. Hope all goes well with this.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Fuel Pump
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds similar somewhat to what happened to me. The controller (chip) for my S4's fuel pump failed suddenly just when I was pulling out onto a four laner last winter. Luckily nobody was coming and a guy in a pickup who was behind me helped push me back to the curb. After several tries, I was able to start it and get it back to my driveway, but it wouldn't start again and had to tow it back to the dealer.

They replaced the chip in about a week. No trouble since, but scared the hell out of me. If the usual 55mph+ traffic were coming, I might have been hit.

The dealer's service rep said it was not a common issue, and they had to send back to Germany for the chip. If yours is the same issue, it may take them a bit to get the part. I hope not, and hope they resolve your issue quickly.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tofuking
Hi all, need some insight to see if anyone has had the same issue or may know what is going on with my car.

Last week when i was driving mid drive in about 3-4 gear all of a sudden the car lost power, engine power.. seems i step on the gas but there is no response then it came back again.
I didn't think anything of it till it happened again yesterday.
Now today when i tried to start my car after work, i could hear the engine making the start up noise but it wouldn't start, so it kept turning, tried a few times and same thing. Waited five minutes and it was fine, and now the car drives fine... bizarre... made it home and i started it again and started like normal.

wonder if this is worth a trip to the dealer? i don't want to go all the way there for them to tell me they cannot replicate anything as it is very very random, but i also don't want to be stuck somewhere either.

Any thoughts guys? thanks!!!
Back in June same thing happened to my 2012 B8 S4. Turned out that there was a misfire in cylinder 1 & 2.
Just today it happened again, after a cold start, Engine light came on, and i couldnt get much power out of the car nor get the rpm's past 3k with out it sound like it was going to blow. Another trip to the dealer, turns out cylinders 1,2,3, and 4 misfired, and there may be a questionable "leaky fuel injector"……so do i hit the "panic" button yet?