S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
Old 07-25-2016, 09:33 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

New car wash/detail process

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car wash/detail process

I just picked up my car this evening. This is a really nice car even nicer than what I expected.

One question regarding car wash/detailing. In normal process, we should do wash->clay->polish->wax. For the new car, do we use the same process?

Thank you.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!
If your car is brand new, it should have a good factory coating on it right now. In a month or two, you might consider waxing it. And claying is smart once a year or every other year. Do not ever take your car to a dealer or automated car wash. This is how swirls happen. Handwash your car with warm water, a non-abrasive spong, carwash soap, and start from top to bottom. Use a different sponge and bucket of water for your dirty rims. Wipe car off with a clean microfiber towel to avoid scratching. Do all this and your car will gleam for many years.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to check out Detailer's Domain for washing tips and advice:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/

The owner (Phil) is very knowledgeable and accessible. He should be able to answer your question...

In general, I agree with SFV A4's reply. Avoid dealer and automatic washes at all costs. Hand wash only, and only in shade/out of direct sunlight (not sure I agree with needing to use warm water). Use the "2 bucket method" (I like the Grit Guard Dual Bucket washing system). The right gear and products are a must! Detailer's Domain has these too, and no, I'm not on commission.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Congrats!
If your car is brand new, it should have a good factory coating on it right now. In a month or two, you might consider waxing it. And claying is smart once a year or every other year. Do not ever take your car to a dealer or automated car wash. This is how swirls happen. Handwash your car with warm water, a non-abrasive spong, carwash soap, and start from top to bottom. Use a different sponge and bucket of water for your dirty rims. Wipe car off with a clean microfiber towel to avoid scratching. Do all this and your car will gleam for many years.
Agree with your reply except I like dry the car with a chamois. I also treat all my windows (exterior) with rainx or similar. I tried the Mr. Clean system but it seems to take off the wax I apply. I agree, never take your car to the dealer or auto wash. The so called non touch uses a very harsh cleaner which strip your wax off. I cant believe how many enthusiasts don't hand wash their car. I wash all my cars once a week and that includes the cold winter here in the Great White North.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
Agree with your reply except I like dry the car with a chamois. I also treat all my windows (exterior) with rainx or similar. I tried the Mr. Clean system but it seems to take off the wax I apply. I agree, never take your car to the dealer or auto wash. The so called non touch uses a very harsh cleaner which strip your wax off. I cant believe how many enthusiasts don't hand wash their car. I wash all my cars once a week and that includes the cold winter here in the Great White North.
Having come from warm and sunny L.A., I have never quite figured out how to wash cars in the deep dark depths of winter here in Maryland. What is your method? Obviously you don't take it to a auto wash.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree re: Detailer's Domain.

Also, check out the Detailing Forum right here on AW!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by agpxo
I just picked up my car this evening. This is a really nice car even nicer than what I expected.

One question regarding car wash/detailing. In normal process, we should do wash->clay->polish->wax. For the new car, do we use the same process?

Thank you.
Absolutely. Even a brand new car will benefit from a good claying. You may not need the polishing step, but that is up to you.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by agpxo

Thank you.
Congrats! Glad you have the car!

On Saturday after I picked up my car this is what I did/used...
-good washing with Chemical Bros Citrus soap.
-Porter Cable application of Menzerna super finish (light polish) I judged that the car did not need to be clayed yet, but yours may.
-Porter Cable application of Menzerna Power lock sealant.
Next weekend I Plan to do another good washing followed by a hand wax coat of poor boys Natty blue paste wax.

Car looks great now, the sprint really pops!

Good luck! Enjoy the car.

Mike
Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@Mike... I took Monday off to pick up the car in order to win your beer. But it seems you got the car earlier than me. Congrats to you too. This is a really nice car.

I feel pretty smooth on the surface so I think I can skip claying for a while. I heard Meguiars products are good. Is Menzerna better?

Last edited by agpxo; 08-31-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
Congrats! Glad you have the car!

On Saturday after I picked up my car this is what I did/used...
-good washing with Chemical Bros Citrus soap.
-Porter Cable application of Menzerna super finish (light polish) I judged that the car did not need to be clayed yet, but yours may.
-Porter Cable application of Menzerna Power lock sealant.
Next weekend I Plan to do another good washing followed by a hand wax coat of poor boys Natty blue paste wax.

Car looks great now, the sprint really pops!

Good luck! Enjoy the car.

Mike
Hey, that's great to hear the Sprint popping!!! I got the Menzerna Final Polish (is that the same thing as yours?) but I went with the Wolfgang sealant. I ordered a clay bar but have not decided yet if I am going to use it for sure or not. I have not had a chance to wash the car yet so I will see this weekend.

Quick Reply: New car wash/detail process