S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
Old 07-25-2016, 09:33 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

New car wash/detail process

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Where in MD are you? In Montgomery county there are several detailers with indoor space who will do a wash and wax for much less than a full detail. Every car I've owned over the past 20 years has gone through the Flagship Touchless carwash on Shady Grove Rd. at 355. My '04 Allroad has been through there many times and it gleams. Haven't decided what I'm going to do this winter yet but one thing to keep in mind with all the salt and sludge is that a good carwash will do a far better job of cleaning the undercarriage than any hand wash will ever do.
I am in Harford county so MoCo would be a drive just to get a car wash. Thanks for the info, though.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
In the winter, as long as the temperature is above freezing I wash my car in my driveway. I use a pair of Platex gloves underneath the wash glove which helps to prevent frostbite. When below freezing I rinse the car at one of those do it yourself places with their power wand. I trust you have similar places in Maryland? By the way, when I last visited your great state I loved the idea of the fat tax on fast food. That should be implemented everywhere. And I am not one for increased taxes we have more than enough here in the Great White North.

Hahahaha!!! I must be softer than you are b/c I don't even want to touch cold water when it is cold outside. I think I am going to take some of the other suggestions and take it to a touchless wash during the winter.

As far as the fat tax, I am not sure about that. I don't really eat fast food much at all and on the rare occasions when I do, I don't recall any additional tax?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhytid
Hahahaha!!! I must be softer than you are b/c I don't even want to touch cold water when it is cold outside. I think I am going to take some of the other suggestions and take it to a touchless wash during the winter.

As far as the fat tax, I am not sure about that. I don't really eat fast food much at all and on the rare occasions when I do, I don't recall any additional tax?
On previous cars i have found after spending hours detailing my car the touch less car wash strips the wax off. Has anyone else noticed this? As far as the fat tax, it is not statewide. I found it in one county near D.C.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

On previous cars i have found after spending hours detailing my car the touch less car wash strips the wax off. Has anyone else noticed this? As far as the fat tax, it is not statewide. I found it in one county near D.C.
Oh!! That would not be good if it stripped off the wax in the middle of winter. Hmmm.... so I still don't see a good way of washing in the middle of winter.

In the past, I washed and sealed in the late fall and just suffered through until the spring thaw. Owned my last car for 9 years and it was still in good shape. I was just thinking of trying different things as I heard the paint is "softer" now? Not sure if that is true or not.

And if they had the fat tax in my county, they wouldn't need any other taxes.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh!! That would not be good if it stripped off the wax in the middle of winter. Hmmm.... so I still don't see a good way of washing in the middle of winter.
If you have a garage, or access to one at a friend's house you could give Optimum No Rinse a try. It's a rinseless carwash. Very quick and easy to use. You can wash a whole car inside a warm (or warmer at least) garage and not get water everywhere.

I've been using it for many years and find it works remarkably well. It definitely takes a little getting used to the process - "you mean I really just wipe it on with one microfiber cloth and wipe it off with another? Preposterous!"

It works by encapsulating dirt, which gets drawn into your "rinse" towel. I havent had any problems with scratches or swirls. The best way I can describe it is it dissolves the dirt and releases it from the surface of the car. Works wonders on taking brake dust off wheels, too.

Also handy in the summer if there are ever water restrictions due to drought.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In the past, I washed and sealed in the late fall and just suffered through until the spring thaw. Owned my last car for 9 years and it was still in good shape. I was just thinking of trying different things as I heard the paint is "softer" now? Not sure if that is true or not.

And if they had the fat tax in my county, they wouldn't need any other taxes.
They already take a lot off in taxes here that is why Canadians are a little and I mean a little skinnier than the Yanks, we don't have as disposable income to spend on fast food.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brandonb
If you have a garage, or access to one at a friend's house you could give Optimum No Rinse a try. It's a rinseless carwash. Very quick and easy to use. You can wash a whole car inside a warm (or warmer at least) garage and not get water everywhere.

I've been using it for many years and find it works remarkably well. It definitely takes a little getting used to the process - "you mean I really just wipe it on with one microfiber cloth and wipe it off with another? Preposterous!"

It works by encapsulating dirt, which gets drawn into your "rinse" towel. I havent had any problems with scratches or swirls. The best way I can describe it is it dissolves the dirt and releases it from the surface of the car. Works wonders on taking brake dust off wheels, too.

Also handy in the summer if there are ever water restrictions due to drought.
We never have water restrictions in our area as we live next to Lake Ontario. Where can you buy this cleaner as I live 25 minutes from New York State? That cleaner sounds like it would be great for the rims.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

We never have water restrictions in our area as we live next to Lake Ontario. Where can you buy this cleaner as I live 25 minutes from New York State? That cleaner sounds like it would be great for the rims.
I've only heard of it being in stores in places like Southern California and Arizona where water is an issue. I ordered mine some place online. One 32oz bottle has lasted many years. Not sure if it helps, but it looks like they have it at Amazon.