S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New to... Everything

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to... Everything

Hiya all.

I've never owned any car besides an 03 Merc Grand Marquis I inherited, but now I've jumped right into a CPO 2010 S4.

After a ton of research and 6 test drives, 7 dealerships, and 4 brands... I think the S4 is an amazing machine. CPO off a lease, where from the condition of the mechanicals looks to have been babied, is an amazing value. Getting mine fully loaded with the Diff, B&O, Magma/Black Nappa, MMI+, etc etc.

I haven't paid a full deposit yet, just paid a hold, or signed any papers, so I'm wondering if there are any warning signs or things to look for with this model car (signs of un-modding, abuse, typical trouble spots, horror stories to be on the lookout for, etc).

I'd appreciate pointing me in the right direction.

On another topic, what drew you folks to the S4?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome to the board Mechemykal! Exciting time with the purchase of your first really nice car. You picked a great one with the S4. Good luck and enjoy the hunt for your next car.

As a new person to the B8 S4 and having looked over a lot of the posts here from very experienced and helpful owners, my observation is the B8 S4 appears to be pretty reliable.

The 2010 S-tronic transmission seems to me to have more issues (with mechatronic unit) than other model years. Also saw comparatively more issues with brake noise on the 2010 models. I believe Audi issued TSB's on both of these problems. Other than that, i just see random issues that can occur with any car. No brand is immune to these types of problems in my experience.

Since you are new to premium brand cars, make sure you anticipate and factor in the higher maintenance and repair costs. It will definitely cost you a bit more than higher volume regular brands. The CPO is a big help on repairs, and if done properly by the dealer, should reduce your concerns of getting an abused car.

The S4 is a fantastic vehicle. The power, refined operation (and looks) and great handling drew me to the model. The S4 is just very entertaining and rewarding to drive.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mechemykal
Hiya all.

I've never owned any car besides an 03 Merc Grand Marquis I inherited, but now I've jumped right into a CPO 2010 S4.

After a ton of research and 6 test drives, 7 dealerships, and 4 brands... I think the S4 is an amazing machine. CPO off a lease, where from the condition of the mechanicals looks to have been babied, is an amazing value. Getting mine fully loaded with the Diff, B&O, Magma/Black Nappa, MMI+, etc etc.

I haven't paid a full deposit yet, just paid a hold, or signed any papers, so I'm wondering if there are any warning signs or things to look for with this model car (signs of un-modding, abuse, typical trouble spots, horror stories to be on the lookout for, etc).

I'd appreciate pointing me in the right direction.

On another topic, what drew you folks to the S4?
Things I would check.
How many miles are on the car now?
Did dealer replace the S4 with new tires?
Since is CPO, I assume the brakes and root could be new?
Ask the dealer since this is CPO, what parts were replaced or changed?

I was going to buy an Audi A6 after drive a LS400 for over 12 years. After a test drive on the S4, that was it. I wanted a S4, I almost got a 2010 S4 but after driving a 2014 S4. I end up buying a new S4.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I made sure to check on all of them before taking delivery. I LOVE this vehicle so far. Everything is top notch. Driving it is a dream. Fuel Mileage is slightly worrisome on the in-dash display, though I haven't had it long enough to get a true average consumption. Still, it's on track to equal the advertised mileage of my old car, while the S4 has 50% more HP under the hood. How far engines have come, phwew.

Incidentally, I went with the extended optional warranty. I'm too afraid of things going south on a car with 40k miles on it already where I don't know how it was treated, so it's cheap peace of mind. Means I shouldn't mod, but I do already like the stock look and performance anyway.

Despite the negative reviews, I'm loving the Drive Select so far. Its the car you want it to be depending on your mood. Steering is a bit heavy off Comfort mode though.

And despite the positive reviews, the B&O I'm finding muddies the mid-lows and doesn't have much follow-through on the true bass hits. Still great for a factory system, as I'm coming from a custom install with 1100 watts. The nav nags you a bit, but if I'm in truly unfamiliar territory I could see it being a blessing rather than a curse.

All-in-all, amazing vehicle, truly.
Now I can't wait to find an open stretch of empty highway and see how quick it hits the 130 limiter...
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congratulations on your S4. Enjoy!