S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New owner 2013 S4 with two questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner 2013 S4 with two questions

Picked up my S4 last weekend and love the thing, but have some basic questions.

1. How do I get the MMI to stop asking me if I want to make a data connection? Is their somewhere in the menus I can set this to yes so it will stop asking every time?

2. Gas Mileage: I'm coming from a 2010 A5 2.0T, actually an 09 Jetta in between while I was waiting for the S4... but anyway too the question. I'm going through gas like crazy. Now, I know I'm driving pretty aggressively right now, at the same time I'm keeping the RPM's low during break-in. I have only floored it two times and on both occasions just for short periods to see how it feels (it was awesome).

Does it get better, or should I expect this all the time. I use the S4 as my daily driver, if it' sucking up gas like this I might have to grab an old beater to get me back and forth during commutes. Wonder how this has been for others?

Love the car, will post pic's soon.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Also new S4 owner

Picked it up four days ago.

1: There is a setting where you can have it connect every time you drive your car.

2: I've already driven my car way too much in the past few days, but have learned a lot about the gas.

Assume the following: I always drive relatively aggressively, so you probably shouldn't get worse mileage than me. City/Highway 50/50.

When I drive conservatively (never floor it), I get 19.3 mpg.
When I drive aggressively (0-60, 50-100 sprints) only sometimes, I get 16.8 mpg.
I haven't found out about the worst of the worst because my car is still breaking in.

Your fuel mileage will improve gradually until your car is fully broken in, probably around 5 or 10,000 miles. From that point it should remain consistent until a component of your engine fails, such as a piston ring or a gasket.

I too expected better mileage, especially since Audi went with the forced induction V6 instead of the naturally aspirated V8. However, this is the price I must pay for driving such an awesome car, and I accept that.

The biggest contributing factor to the guzzling is the 3,935 lb curb weight. It is massively heavy for a car with only 333 hp. However, this high weight enhances the vehicles smooth ride and overall stability.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

over the past 2 weeks i've averaged 24mpg on highway drives and 18mpg in the city with some sprints
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by motivated1
Picked up my S4 last weekend and love the thing, but have some basic questions.

1. How do I get the MMI to stop asking me if I want to make a data connection? Is their somewhere in the menus I can set this to yes so it will stop asking every time?

2. Gas Mileage: I'm coming from a 2010 A5 2.0T, actually an 09 Jetta in between while I was waiting for the S4... but anyway too the question. I'm going through gas like crazy. Now, I know I'm driving pretty aggressively right now, at the same time I'm keeping the RPM's low during break-in. I have only floored it two times and on both occasions just for short periods to see how it feels (it was awesome).

Does it get better, or should I expect this all the time. I use the S4 as my daily driver, if it' sucking up gas like this I might have to grab an old beater to get me back and forth during commutes. Wonder how this has been for others?

Love the car, will post pic's soon.
It might help if you stated what your actual mileage is instead of "I'm going through gas like crazy"
also, calculate based on gallons used and miles driven not computer readout.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't expect to get great gas mileage with this car. You will be disappointed. Anything over 18mpg in town and 24 mpg on the highway @ 75mph would be exceptional. Some will chime in saying they get better than that. I haven't been able to. BTW, I'm 62 yrs old and don't drive like a maniac. BTW, you shouldn't have bought a supercharged 333 hp, 4K lb car and expect great gas mileage.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Don't expect to get great gas mileage with this car. You will be disappointed. Anything over 18mpg in town and 24 mpg on the highway @ 75mph would be exceptional. Some will chime in saying they get better than that. I haven't been able to. BTW, I'm 62 yrs old and don't drive like a maniac. BTW, you shouldn't have bought a supercharged 333 hp, 4K lb car and expect great gas mileage.
Are those measurements based on your own calculations at fillup or the trip computer? Have you found that the trip computer is pretty accurate or not?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2013 with under 4k miles. I get around 20-24 MPG. I'd say I drive medium aggressively. Manual or the DSG?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2013 with 4k miles now. I'm averaging 18-19 in a mix of city/highway. These engines are very tight at break-in so expect mileage to gradually improve through the first 2k miles or so.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have about 5,000 miles now and usually get around 24 MPG without trying to save gas. If I try to save gas, I can get 26, but that's about it. When you get on it though, the MPG drops to about 8, so if you are ripping up back roads, the thing's basically beer bonging gas. I've also noticed that being in "Comfort" mode, vs "Dynamic" mode gets you about another 1-2 MPG, at the cost of boredom... (to my personal experience)

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm averaging 20-21 MPG in mixed driving. Probably about 19 MPG in all city. Only took one long trip in it, and that was from the dealer I bought it from in Chicago to home (OHIO). With a green engine, no cruise control, I got 26 MPG. I bet I'd be closer to 27-28 MPG on that same trip now with 3K miles on it.

BTW....the S4 trip computer is woefully inaccurate with MPG. Do a manual calculation.

Quick Reply: New owner 2013 S4 with two questions