S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New phone, same bluetooth issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New phone, same bluetooth issues

I just bought the new Galaxy Nexus phone and seems the MMI/Bluetooth problems still exist. When answering an incoming call thru the steering wheel or navigation **** the call goes to mute.

If I answer with the phone everything works fine. So as a work around I have to keep my hands free phone within hands reach!

The funny thing is if I take the call, the radio gets muted when it rings until I answer. Then I have to fumble around the buttons to un-mute the call. Once I do that the display lists the call as being muted.

If I set everything to default erasing the bluetooth and all paired phones it may work a few times but reverts back to the "opposite" condition.

I spoke to a friend that has a 2010 S4 and he has the same problem with his android phone.

Anyone out there have the same issues or a fix? I doubt this is a dealer fixable problem, but maybe a software patch is in the works?

Any help out there?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

My Sirius and Garmin seem to interfere with the bluetooth connection to either the Iphone or the droid I now have
Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zooomart
My Sirius and Garmin seem to interfere with the bluetooth connection to either the Iphone or the droid I now have
Does your car answer on mute as well?

I have the trial Sirius still and not planning on renewing do to the many other music options and the cost. I am going to see if the traffic only option is available. Although I haven't had to use it yet I could see it being good to have when you do need it.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by StevehamS4
Does your car answer on mute as well?

I have the trial Sirius still and not planning on renewing do to the many other music options and the cost. I am going to see if the traffic only option is available. Although I haven't had to use it yet I could see it being good to have when you do need it.
I use my bluetooth in the car all the time and have Sirius... I haven't had any issues with my car answering on mute. I have a Bold 9900
Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only had a chance to use my Galaxy Nexus on the drive home from the Verizon store after I picked it up last Thursday, but it was working perfectly for me. Had it rooted and the bootloader unlocked by that night and headed out on vacation the next day to visit family in Iowa, but I'll post back if I start having problems after I get home this weekend.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just thinking on the fly here: is there a 'default' volume setting for the phone maybe? I know the NAV volume is separate from the radio/media volume, and you can adjust the NAV volume via the small **** on the console or the volume control on the steering wheel if you time it right when the NAV voice is active. You can also set the volume in MMI I believe, probably by pressing NAV and then Setup. Maybe if the volume is set as low as it will go, it is in mute mode? I just made a long trip and found that the NAV volume was lower than I'd like and previously I reduced the amount of radio/media fade so that the music would not get get fully muted. I personally have not had any issues answering the few phone calls I've received with the call coming through fine on volume and the radio/media muted until the call ends. MMI, the gift that keeps on giving...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

zulujams, thanks for your input.

I don't think that volume **** is the issue, although I will certainly give it a try. The reason why I think the issue is bluetooth related is I have no issues at all if I answer all incoming calls via the phone itself. The volume is lower than I would like but it does mute the MMI source when the call comes in. I am still trying to get used to the settings.

I only have a problem if I answer the incoming call by the left steering wheel button or the button in the dial on the console.

It always answers the call. It is a matter of the volume being muted or unmuted depending on what state the MMI Bluetooth is in when I answer.

When that happens there is a chance it might be unmuted or muted. I can now tell because it mutes all MMI sound activity as soon as I answer, but a second or two later if the music comes back on and I know I have to quick go to settings/mute to start talking before they hang up.

Once I hit the mute button the call is fine. Clear etc. However the wierd part is I am able to hear the call but the MMI displays I am muted.

When the car actually functions correctly and I can hear the car right away, the MMI lists the call as unmuted which is correct. I am convinced it is the car not my phone. Because it has happened so far with my Nextel Blacberry and my new Galaxy Nexus. I amslo know a friend from Fla has the same issue with his Android phone and 4S iPhone.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok good info. Anyone recall how we get the MMI 'version' number, or revision, release, whatever it may be called? From everything I've read, updates to MMI are few and far between, but if those with the problem are all on the same version than those without the problems, that info may help.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have an intermittent problem where the mmi doesn't connect to the phone at all. Turning the "airplane mode" button on and off fixes it, actually I've gotten in the habit of just doing it when I get in hte car, otherwise I'm never really sure if the bluetooth connection is going to work or not. Doubt it's related to your issue but maybe just see what happens if you try it.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't comment on the Galaxy Nexus - but I've never had a problem with my iPhones in my two Audi's with MMI and bluetooth. I had an iPhone 3G and currently have an iPhone4. I've got a 2010 A5 and 2012 S4 and don't have any of the problems you're experiencing in either of my cars. Sorry I can't help!

Quick Reply: New phone, same bluetooth issues