S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New phone, same bluetooth issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump of a slightly old thread. I have EXACTLY the same issue. Call goes to mute after answering from the steering wheel **** or MMI control ****, and the stereo audio comes on, even if the MMI does initially mute the stereo to ring. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough to be irritating. Of course, when at the dealers it works just fine.

This happens on both the A4 and the Q5. My wife and I are both on T-Mobile. She has an LG G2X running Gingerbread, I have an HTC Sensation running a rooted Revolution HD Ice Cream Sandwich ROM. We have different MMI versions FWIW:
Q5
Software version
HNav_US_P0114_D1
Nav database version
8R0060884P NAR 5.4.7

A4
Software version
HNav_US_P0118_D1
Nav database version
8R0060884AD NAR 5.5.5

I have seen some reports on Android forums of the Bluetooth stack being incomplete in Android ROMs.

I'll have to look at the mute vs unmute, but what works for us is to switch the audio back to the phone (on the phone's call screen), then switch it back to the MMI.

Steve, did you ever get this fixed?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821

Steve, did you ever get this fixed?
No it is still a problem. I have to keep my phone out and answer it to keep from losing calls sometimes. It takes a while to correct the issue while driving.

I have to hit answer.
then wait to see if it will be muted or not by the radio coming back on.
if so then I have to hit options quick
then press the MMI buttom while the selection is on "mute" then it goes to "muted" and say hello a few times and hopefully they didn't hang up.

Not bad for a 50k+ car huh?
I am due for the 5k service so hopefully it will do it when at the dealer.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've been on a number of conference calls in the car, and when I'm not speaking, it's on mute. The radio audio doesn't turn on of course during these times. So it seems that when this issue happens, the MMI gets confused about where to send the audio, and toggling mute on the MMI (which works for me too - thanks! This is quicker then fumbling with the phone itself) corrects this. This makes me think its more an Audi issue rather than the phone...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I took my car in for the 5k service yesterday and mention the problem. When I went to pick the car up they told me they reset 3 modules and the service tech tested the system with his phone.

I drove a few miles and tested it myself (Called my Samsung Nexus cell from my Nextel Blackberry work phone) and it is not fixed!

Not only that the wink is back, the seat belt chime is back. I didn't notice if the "Automatic Gear selection shown in DIS" is reset or not.

So basically they didn't do anything to fix it and I guess if I want the system to work properly I should ask if I can have the tech's phone because I never was asked to participate in the test. I work right across the street from the dealer.

I find it hard to believe they never heard of this problem when so many in the forums have seen this problem.

I think they don't have an answer and act like it is the first time they hear of this issue.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the problem with a variety of Android phones and iPhones. Now with my Galaxy Nexus I do NOT have the problem. It's a GSM nexus on t-mobile, 4.0.4
Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This problem is annoying. Forget about mention it to dealer since it is an Android Bluetooth issue that only Google can fix it.

I thought this problem should only happen on Android ICS. I am suprise to see Gingerbread also have this issue.

I believe the problem is not related to mute/unmute; the actual issue is the phone switch the voice channel back to the phone itself while you are answering the call.

My suggestion workaround is: answer the call from your steering wheel or console...if you see the MMI screen connected but the radio sound come back...click the Headset button on your phone 2 or 3 times and the voice channel should be connected back to the MMI.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Banned

I have a 2008 RS4 and a 2007 S4 was my previous DD so may not be totally applicable, but I can share some experience on the bluetooth issues. I also have a 2009 B8 A4 Avant.

The problem is almost always the software for the phone. I have never found it to be a car problem. I have had trouble with connecting/disconnecting/connecting/disconnecting. It's really frigging annoying, as you all know how loud the connect/disconnect noises are. I also had problems with sound...and problems with getting a call...and with the bluetooth answering a call, but transferring it to the handset.

In every single instance, an update of the phone's software cured the problem.

My most recent was a Samsung Galaxy SII LTE (you guys call it skyrocket in America) which was on Gingerbread 2.3. It would do the connect/disconnect every 2 minutes while I was in the car. Interrupting my music to make that loud annoying BRRING! I started threads here. I started threads on other Audi forums. I started threads on Android forums. Nobody had any advice...but a bunch of guys had the exact same problem.

When Ice Cream Sandwich was released for my phone, I upgraded and the problem went away.

I have had these problems with various blackberries and this Galaxy, on my S4, RS4 and A4...and every time, the software update for the phone fixed the issue.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue here

I seem to have the same issue as everyone else here on my Q7 2011, I had the Samsung Galaxy, it would happen randomly. Now I have the Samsung G3 and it will also randomly not answard from the steering wheel.

The car is in the shop right now and all they can find is that if you are signed into Skype it can cause a problem. Strange thing is that both my wife and I have the same issue.

I believe I am going to see if I can get it to happen right there at the shop so they can watch it happen. This has been getting worst after they did a software update to the MMI about 6 months ago.

I have Ice Cream 4.0.4.

Has any one been able to figure out what is causing this ?.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

stopped trying to figure it out. Getting good at hitting the buttons now. Only issue is when another call comes in. I can't swap calls.

I don't think it is an android issue cause I know someone that has an iPhone and it does the same thing.

You might find some threads here as I remember people sating they had issues with the 4s
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StevehamS4
stopped trying to figure it out. Getting good at hitting the buttons now. Only issue is when another call comes in. I can't swap calls.

I don't think it is an android issue cause I know someone that has an iPhone and it does the same thing.

You might find some threads here as I remember people sating they had issues with the 4s
are you running ICS?

As I mentioned above, software on the phone is often the problem.

Update the OS on your phone. You should be able to load jellybean by now.

Quick Reply: New phone, same bluetooth issues