S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New S4 owner interested in tracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S4 owner interested in tracking

I just got a new B8 S4 last weekend. So far so good. I got the Prestige package fully loaded with the s-tronic transmission and titanium package. This is my first Audi. My last car was a VW GTI where I fell in love with forced induction and and dual clutch transmissions, although I just read about the Lamborghini Aventador transmission which apparently takes automatic trannies ot the next level.

My car- http://www.caroverload.com/garage_car/193

Anyways, back to the point of this post. I'm in Nor Cal and there are plenty of tracks around here. In two weeks I'm heading up to Infineon Raceway for the Audi Sports Car Experience to take on the TTS, S4, and R8. After that I'd like to start tracking my S4.

The first mod i was planning on picking up were HP brake pads, then another set of tires + wheels. Tracking My daily tires freaks me out. Lol. What else should I be thinking about? Are there any critical upgrades I am leaving out?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you a newbie to tracking? The S4 is plenty capable at a track right out of the box. If you've never been to a track you wouldn't need any upgrade right now. The tires that it comes with are plenty good for the track. If you really want to spend some money on set of wheels I'd go with 18's for track duty, not 19's. The brakes tend to fade with heavy use on a track so upgrading the pads and fluids would be a good idea. But only if you are very fast on a track. Totally unnecessary if you are a newbie at a track, it will be a while before you are fast enough to fade out the brakes on a track. Race pad will be a pain to live with too. The most essential upgrade to the car is the radiator grill because our cars don't have any protection in front of the radiator. Almost everyone on this forum have done something about it. One impudent pebble can leave you stranded.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Muray
Are you a newbie to tracking? The S4 is plenty capable at a track right out of the box. If you've never been to a track you wouldn't need any upgrade right now. The tires that it comes with are plenty good for the track. If you really want to spend some money on set of wheels I'd go with 18's for track duty, not 19's. The brakes tend to fade with heavy use on a track so upgrading the pads and fluids would be a good idea. But only if you are very fast on a track. Totally unnecessary if you are a newbie at a track, it will be a while before you are fast enough to fade out the brakes on a track. Race pad will be a pain to live with too. The most essential upgrade to the car is the radiator grill because our cars don't have any protection in front of the radiator. Almost everyone on this forum have done something about it. One impudent pebble can leave you stranded.
I am a track newbie indeed. Why 18s over 19s? Any recommendations on the radiator grill upgrade? I'm less concerned about the stock tires' performance than I am of wearing them out for street use. Would using them on the track and street be ok? Would I just need to change them faster?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Grill screen: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2784308
Read the whole thread. There are some nicer looking alternatives towards the end if you are interested.

Tracking your street tires will wear them out quicker... Probably not necessary to buy a dedicated track wheel/tire setup yet.

18" wheel and tire would be lighter than the same 19" wheel and tire without any loss in traction/grip.

Get a gopro and make a video for us

HAVE FUN!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks!
How does insurance factor into tracking? If there is a crash will I be good to go? Any weird stipulations?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You need to get track insurance for the day. Lockton does it. As a newbie you wouldn't be driving too fast but there are a lot of things that can go wrong on a track. Like someone spilling oil on the track and you spinning out! It can be expensive. Few hundred dollars to get on the track, a few hundred more for the insurance. Tracking is definitely not a cheap hobby. New set of tires will seem cheap to you later on. I never worry about wearing out the tires because compared to other expenses tires are relatively inexpensive ha ha.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for this thread, Greydout, and all who responded, I just picked up my S4 about 3 weeks ago and I am thinking of the track as well, but I am pretty much new as to what it all involves as well, so this is helpful to me as well...
Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does anyone know of a good track in S.E. Michigan open to newbies >