S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Next Gen MMI in S4???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Gen MMI in S4???

When will Audi upgrade the MMI to the next gen Nvidia processor for the S4? I was talking about the version that is currently in the A7/A8...
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best guess would be with the refresh in 2013
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

If we knew that we would be working for audi...
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by helix139
My best guess would be with the refresh in 2013
Mine too. A/S4 get refreshed in '13 and B9 in '16. The refresh would be a great time to get the interiors if not just the Avionics up to par with the new A1/3/6/7/8.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Mine too. A/S4 get refreshed in '13 and B9 in '16. The refresh would be a great time to get the interiors if not just the Avionics up to par with the new A1/3/6/7/8.
bah... is it me or is the A/S4 taking longer for refreshes (exterior/interior mechanics) than BMW? I've seen the iDrive interface updated on the e90 several times already (which now includes iphone app integration)...
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angina
bah... is it me or is the A/S4 taking longer for refreshes (exterior/interior mechanics) than BMW? I've seen the iDrive interface updated on the e90 several times already (which now includes iphone app integration)...
In my 2011 S4, my iphone and/or ipod already fully integrate. My IPhone's directory and missed calls, etc. show up on the phone screens in the MMI, and I have all my itunes songs, playlists, etc on the screen for the music (not album art)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by urojohn
In my 2011 S4, my iphone and/or ipod already fully integrate. My IPhone's directory and missed calls, etc. show up on the phone screens in the MMI, and I have all my itunes songs, playlists, etc on the screen for the music (not album art)
I meant iphone application integration. The iDrive that came with the first 2 or so years of the e90 3-series had no iphone integration. Then they added iphone integration/3D maps/google maps from home/traffic. Then most recently they added iphone apps (pandora)/facebook/ipod album art integration.

now I'm not complaining about having useless features such as "facebook". Just saying that BMW doesn't wait for a "refresh" to make changes to their nav/headunits. With technology changing so quickly, if its a matter of changing out the headunits/software-only, why not do it as soon as possible?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angina
I meant iphone application integration. The iDrive that came with the first 2 or so years of the e90 3-series had no iphone integration. Then they added iphone integration/3D maps/google maps from home/traffic. Then most recently they added iphone apps (pandora)/facebook/ipod album art integration.

now I'm not complaining about having useless features such as "facebook". Just saying that BMW doesn't wait for a "refresh" to make changes to their nav/headunits. With technology changing so quickly, if its a matter of changing out the headunits/software-only, why not do it as soon as possible?
Duh, I see what you mean, a simple software update. After I posted my previous answer I looked up the BMW and saw the Pandora thing, that would be nice.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Considering that the 3G MMI debuted with the Q5 and Audi seems to be showing and mentioning a newer MMI in shots of the upcoming Q5 hybrid. That would lend credence to it being available for the MY 2013 A4/S4 and A5/S5.

http://www.audiusanews.com/pressrele...hybrid-quattro

Then again... I could be wrong.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hmmm... this press release regarding the 3G MMI seems to state that most new vehicles in 2012-2013 would have this new technology:

http://www.audiusanews.com/pressrele...ilizing-nvidia
The results of the Audi strategy in visual computing came to market with the launch of the Q5 crossover vehicle in early 2009. The third-generation multimedia interface, or 3G MMI, found the Q5 set new benchmarks for navigation graphics with photorealistic depictions of points of interest, 3D graphics and rapid refresh rates.

Only a few months later came even more advanced automotive graphics and functionality with the 3G MMI navigation plus system that will be included with the next-generation Audi A8 flagship luxury sedan. The 2011 Audi A8 will have the capability to display Google Earth mapping for navigation and point of interest search – a significant advance above traditional navigation systems.

During today’s press conference with NVIDIA, Audi continues to look ahead.

“We designed our new Tegra processor to provide a completely new experience, one that’s perfectly suited for the navigation, entertainment and safety demands of the road," said Jen-Hsun Huang, President and Chief Executive Officer, NVIDIA. “Audi is the most innovative company in the auto industry, and our partnership is based on a shared commitment to delivering the best mobile experience available on Earth.”

Automotive cycles are long, which has typically slowed the pace of innovation in automotive electronics. NVIDIA’s Next Generation Tegra processor provides a way for automotive companies to keep up with innovation.

New Audi vehicles in 2012-2013 will be powered by Tegra, which will allow 3D visuals that are richer than ever, unmatched multimedia and a complete web experience on a variety of devices. Better yet, this next-generation processor will offer increased system performance with 10x less power consumption to improve the efficiency of Audi vehicles.

Quick Reply: Next Gen MMI in S4???