S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

North American Nav Map Update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North American Nav Map Update?

Anyone know any more information about a pending North American map update for the 3g MMI nav? I've searched around and this question has come up a time or two without much answer other than "sometime in 2010 maybe".

The reason I ask is that I live in the St. Louis area and several miles of the main highway through the city (I-64/40) was closed for a couple years for a redo and just opened back up in December. The problem is my S4 navi still thinks it is closed! Needless to say this makes for some interesting route choices by the nav.

I'm guessing there isn't much detail to be known but I figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone knows something.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have an answer to your question, but be aware that the last map update for the 2G Nav cost $200. I wouldn't expect the 3G update to be any cheaper.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

My Acura nav update was $180 too. I think they're all in the 200 range.

My wish (which i know would never happen) would be to update the entire Nav software since the nav is so, so poorly designed from a design/use point of view. I'll probably write more about this when I post my full review of the car but the Nav software design is just so incredibly inane.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bscardin
Anyone know any more information about a pending North American map update for the 3g MMI nav? I've searched around and this question has come up a time or two without much answer other than "sometime in 2010 maybe".

The reason I ask is that I live in the St. Louis area and several miles of the main highway through the city (I-64/40) was closed for a couple years for a redo and just opened back up in December. The problem is my S4 navi still thinks it is closed! Needless to say this makes for some interesting route choices by the nav.

I'm guessing there isn't much detail to be known but I figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone knows something.
Since you're looking for the new map data specific to own point of interest (local), if you do get chance and decide to upgrade this year be sure to know in advance 'when' / 'what' cut-off date was used for latest map version. If it's similar to what I understand, it's usually end of year i.e. end '09 in your case. You 'could' potentially pay for an upgrade - whenever it is next released - only to find the the 2009 Dec new road opening missed the S/W update submission deadline for 2010 map upgrade?;-)
Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
My Acura nav update was $180 too. I think they're all in the 200 range.

My wish (which i know would never happen) would be to update the entire Nav software since the nav is so, so poorly designed from a design/use point of view. I'll probably write more about this when I post my full review of the car but the Nav software design is just so incredibly inane.
I'm looking forward to your nav system review since I think it is one of the easiest systems to use.