S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

The Northern Snow Leopard

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Northern Snow Leopard

I picked up my S4 a few weeks ago and finally managed to take a few pics today. Sorry the car is a little dirty and picture quality isn't the greatest.

I previously owned B6 and B7 A4's with sports package / S-Line suspension and the B8 is a step change improvement in handling and ride quality. There's not much to add about the engine that hasn't already been said. I personally really like the jet-like sound of the engine. The old V8 rumble sounded nice, but overall quietness of the car on the highway to me is a positive.

I'm amazed by the car every time I drive it. For anyone considering getting ADS I highly recommend it. Comfort mode seemingly makes rough roads smooth, while Dynamic completely transforms the car into a sporty beast. The rear sport differential is a must. In dynamic it's ridiculously fun in the snow.

The red interior is much nicer is person than most pictures as it's not as bright - the only pics I've seen that truly match the appearance are those on the Audi site.

Prior to delivery I was a little upset at myself for not getting Nav, however in person I'm very happy with the control layout (on dash) plus quality of MMI. It would be nice to have the controls on the center console, and a higher quality screen is likely a big improvement with Nav, but for general MMI usage it's really not required. For me it was the right decision given the high option price in Canada plus I seldom use my Garmin except on some long road trips.

The B&O upgrade is the best system I've heard, and is significantly better than the Bose stereo in my last two cars.

Winter wheel set-up (installed at dealer prior to delivery) is 18" Hartmann Hyper-Black HRS4's from Achtuning with Michelin 225/45/18 X-Ice-2's from Tire Rack. I'm very happy with the wheels to the point that I may install the 19" version in the summer instead of the OEM 5-tri-spoke 19's. This is a personal choice but I'm not a fan of the OEM 19's.

The only small changes are removal of the V6T badges, 40% tint, and WeatherTech winter floor liners. Like others I'm anxiously waiting to see what APR has in store.

Hope my feedback may assist anyone interested in an S4. Merry Christmas to all.
Attached Images    
Old 12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yea, I love those wheels...I might have to change mine out
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Oh yea, I love those wheels...I might have to change mine out
+1 on the wheels. they look like the RS4 wheels (which I think are way better than the stock 19's)
Old 12-24-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Very nice wheels, snow leopard, eh! Wish we had more snow. I am not a big fan of the OEM 18s either. My winter and summer setup.

Bruce
Attached Images   
Old 12-24-2009, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Love the RS4 reps as well
Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I must say this is pretty sweet looking. I'm still trying to accept the fact that an S4 can handle a cleveland winter, but I'm having a hard time beleiving that the ground clearance won't be an issue. Any problems dragging through snow? What about extremely rough roads? Sounds like the ADS really helps.

Sweet ride, I like the red more that I thought!!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has better ground clearance than my G35 coupe (with stock suspension and wheels). The lower valance is higher than the G35's lower bumper skirt - I clear curbs I used to scrape lightly on my G35 if that is any comfort.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
It has better ground clearance than my G35 coupe (with stock suspension and wheels). The lower valance is higher than the G35's lower bumper skirt - I clear curbs I used to scrape lightly on my G35 if that is any comfort.
That is helpful! Suprising too as the front valance looks Sooo low (sweet)! I have been trying to watch for s4's in garage to confim some of their approach angles, but they are pretty exclusive (a fact that I like). So now I have my eyes peeled for A4's, but from what I can gather, the S is about three quarters of an inch lower. Does that sound right? Forgot my tape measure at the dealer and auto show!!

thanks for the help! I am struggling between an A4, S4, and Q5! It would be sooooo much easier if I wasn't in the snow belt!! . Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sworksone
I picked up my S4 a few weeks ago and finally managed to take a few pics today. Sorry the car is a little dirty and picture quality isn't the greatest.

I previously owned B6 and B7 A4's with sports package / S-Line suspension and the B8 is a step change improvement in handling and ride quality. There's not much to add about the engine that hasn't already been said. I personally really like the jet-like sound of the engine. The old V8 rumble sounded nice, but overall quietness of the car on the highway to me is a positive.

I'm amazed by the car every time I drive it. For anyone considering getting ADS I highly recommend it. Comfort mode seemingly makes rough roads smooth, while Dynamic completely transforms the car into a sporty beast. The rear sport differential is a must. In dynamic it's ridiculously fun in the snow.

The red interior is much nicer is person than most pictures as it's not as bright - the only pics I've seen that truly match the appearance are those on the Audi site.

Prior to delivery I was a little upset at myself for not getting Nav, however in person I'm very happy with the control layout (on dash) plus quality of MMI. It would be nice to have the controls on the center console, and a higher quality screen is likely a big improvement with Nav, but for general MMI usage it's really not required. For me it was the right decision given the high option price in Canada plus I seldom use my Garmin except on some long road trips.

The B&O upgrade is the best system I've heard, and is significantly better than the Bose stereo in my last two cars.

Winter wheel set-up (installed at dealer prior to delivery) is 18" Hartmann Hyper-Black HRS4's from Achtuning with Michelin 225/45/18 X-Ice-2's from Tire Rack. I'm very happy with the wheels to the point that I may install the 19" version in the summer instead of the OEM 5-tri-spoke 19's. This is a personal choice but I'm not a fan of the OEM 19's.

The only small changes are removal of the V6T badges, 40% tint, and WeatherTech winter floor liners. Like others I'm anxiously waiting to see what APR has in store.

Hope my feedback may assist anyone interested in an S4. Merry Christmas to all.
Hey...LOVE those wheels! Those are the best looking wheels I've seen on snow's! Thank you for sharing. MY S4 will have the 19's on it and I'm looking for some good wheels for my winters...I think I've found them! Just wanted to confirm the size of the X-Ice's you are running. You mentioned 225/45 18's and I can't find that...closest I've found was 215/45 18.

How do you like them? Would you buy that size again for the S4? Anything you would do differently?

I think the X-ice are the best snow's out there right now.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by supraman66
That is helpful! Suprising too as the front valance looks Sooo low (sweet)! I have been trying to watch for s4's in garage to confim some of their approach angles, but they are pretty exclusive (a fact that I like). So now I have my eyes peeled for A4's, but from what I can gather, the S is about three quarters of an inch lower. Does that sound right? Forgot my tape measure at the dealer and auto show!!

thanks for the help! I am struggling between an A4, S4, and Q5! It would be sooooo much easier if I wasn't in the snow belt!! . Thanks again!
Hey... I live in Concord Ohio(just north of Chardon and heart of the snowbelt) and work in downtown Cleveland as does my wife. We drive her A4 all winter and haven't had any issues. In fact we got about 20+ inches last Thursday/Friday and my driveway has a pretty steep incline.... the A4 was able to go through it w/o any issues. My buddy came over that night with his Jetta and got stuck. I know a S4 sits a little lower but you won't have any issues as long as you get some good tires.... opt for the Sports Differential as that will help with traction as well..... where in Cleveland are you? Will you be buying from Baker, Stoddard, or Sunnyside? Just curious as I should be ordering mine this weekend from Stoddard..... Winter will be long over by the time I get it but if you haven't decided by then your more than welcome to check the car out and take it for a spin. Mine won't see winter though.... later Ron

Quick Reply: The Northern Snow Leopard