S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Oil change: suck or drain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Change Sucking oil out or drain oil pan from bottom plug.

Originally Posted by EF99
I only have about 2600 miles but I've had the car almost a year so I suppose I should do the first complementary oil change at the dealer.

They normally suck the oil out from the top, and claim they get more oil out that way.

Part of me thinks--if there is any debris in the oil pan--that a gravity drain would be better. But (depending on the shape of the oil pan) I suppose sucking the oil from the dipstick tube could get any debris as well.

Anyone have reason to prefer a gravity drain over a "vacuum out from the top" drain? Is your answer different for the first oil change versus all the subsequent ones?
For me as an old aircraft/racecar engine mechanic there is never a question of what's best of these two alternatives. It's always DRAIN FROM PAN BOTTOM PLUG! Why? The plug is there for two reasons, one to drain the oil and two to be able to see if any slug or metal shavings. if you don't have a magnetic pan plug install one and make sure you always drain from the pan plug and, as another member answered below, make use all oil is drained so let it stand draining/dripping for a while and then use an extra quart to flush with, some of this oil will come out darker in the beginning but if all comes out very dark do another quart for additional flush. Always use a new washer for the plug, make sure it's tightened to spec and always clean residual oil from bottom of pan to inspect for leak after engine run test.
The following users liked this post:
CharlieG (01-17-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 05:04 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

As started above almost 10 years ago...I have only drained only once on the first oil change. Zero issues.
For a racecar or an airplane, then maybe it makes sense to check for any damaged caused by extreme environments and use, but for a regular modern street car with synthetic oils...not so much.
It is proven for many many years and many makes that suction oil changes work just fine. Pouring an extra quart through to "flush" is also a bit silly. Anything it could possibly flush would also be caught in the new filter.
With the filter on top a suction change is a no-brainer. I suspect if Audi wasn't going all EVs the next thing to disappear after the dipstick would indeed be the oil drain plug.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 610 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by ukdn
For me as an old aircraft/racecar engine mechanic there is never a question of what's best of these two alternatives. It's always DRAIN FROM PAN BOTTOM PLUG! Why? The plug is there for two reasons, one to drain the oil and two to be able to see if any slug or metal shavings. if you don't have a magnetic pan plug install one and make sure you always drain from the pan plug and, as another member answered below, make use all oil is drained so let it stand draining/dripping for a while and then use an extra quart to flush with, some of this oil will come out darker in the beginning but if all comes out very dark do another quart for additional flush. Always use a new washer for the plug, make sure it's tightened to spec and always clean residual oil from bottom of pan to inspect for leak after engine run test.
You're replying to a 10 year old post. The person who posted it hasn't logged in for the last 6 years.

Originally Posted by gk1
As started above almost 10 years ago...I have only drained only once on the first oil change. Zero issues.
For a racecar or an airplane, then maybe it makes sense to check for any damaged caused by extreme environments and use, but for a regular modern street car with synthetic oils...not so much.
It is proven for many many years and many makes that suction oil changes work just fine. Pouring an extra quart through to "flush" is also a bit silly. Anything it could possibly flush would also be caught in the new filter.
With the filter on top a suction change is a no-brainer. I suspect if Audi wasn't going all EVs the next thing to disappear after the dipstick would indeed be the oil drain plug.
Yeah, as long as the oil is up to temperature and you're performing regular oil changes then using an extractor is fine. The engine was designed for that and it's how Audi specifies that oil changes be done. If the state of the engine is unknown, or if it's in really rough shape then yes, I'd drop the pan and flush it out.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 01-19-2022 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (01-19-2022)