S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

okay now im f'in pissed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
No offense intended here....but saying things like "what kind of pos does audi produce" because you had a problem with your car just makes you look silly. It's a sample size of 1 vehicle, and to be generalizing that all Audis are "pos" is ridiculous. Cars are mechanical devices, and complex ones at that. Sometimes things go wrong. It happens. If you can't handle the fact that, from time to time, mechanical devices have issues, then I respectfully suggest you choose something simpler as your primary form of transportation. A unicycle, perhaps. I can pretty much guarantee that a "check engine" light won't upset you that way.
well said.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok ok. sorry for the anger. Was just alil pissed that this happened. I have not been pushing the car too hard at all. Just to have an engine light come in with 215 miles on the car isnt a good sign of things to come. But hopefully its just a sensor.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lax854
ok ok. sorry for the anger. Was just alil pissed that this happened. I have not been pushing the car too hard at all. Just to have an engine light come in with 215 miles on the car isnt a good sign of things to come. But hopefully its just a sensor.
Even if it is more than a sensor, it is not necessarily a sign of things to come. My wife's Lexus GX470 had to have the right front axel replaced at about 300 miles and I was ready to get rid of it. 7 years later, it has had no other issues.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AlA4
Even if it is more than a sensor, it is not necessarily a sign of things to come. My wife's Lexus GX470 had to have the right front axel replaced at about 300 miles and I was ready to get rid of it. 7 years later, it has had no other issues.
Yeah - my 2001 330i had the same sort of thing (though not as major as an axle) - coolant light came on at a few hundred miles. It was just a faulty sensor. 9 years later the car was still largely trouble-free.

There's almost always going to be a thing or two that needs to be taken care of - that's why we have warraties.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lax854
Hey lax-

Yeah, seeing a problem creep up with a new car can be frustrating... but trust me, it's nothing to get upset about. My old A3 had an issue with the cylinder head shortly after I bought it and Audi replaced it... but over 4 years, it was the most trouble free car I've ever owned.

Hopefully, the check engine light on your S4 is something minor like others said. Just take it in and have them check it out.

I think you mentioned brake noise in your first post. The brake squeak is an issue at low temps and many of us get it. It's annoying but nothing major. Bedding the brakes a bit or doing a couple of hard brakes in reverse seems to help. For me, once the temp gets back above 40 degrees, the squeal is gone. I only get a tiny bit of squeak

Let us know what the check engine light was all about. Hope it works out!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts
Default many cars have initial flukes

I once had a 99 Mustang GT, which I bought nearly new at 6 months old and 6000 miles. One night I was driving and all the dash & headlights went out, the car was still running fine. Took it to the dealer and it turned out the bulkhead connector was loose and not completely locked in place. After they fixed this, I never had another warranty problem with that car.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A girl I worked with got a new BMW X3 and had to have the transmission completely replaced after 1 week. You hear about problems with any car brand, it's not just audi.

I feel your frustration though.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We had an X3 for 3+ years. No problems, except it was not that great in the snow/ice. We parked it and drove my Audi during a big snow storm here, lol.

Bruce
Old 01-31-2010, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can back the car reliability because I have put 8000 miles on this car since the end of August and I haven't had any problems.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If it makes you feel any better , from owning all three brands for 3 decades , the repair folders of my cars after about four years are usually 1 to 2 inches thick for the newer Mercedes and half to one inch thick for Porsches and Audis, not counting reg maintenance , LOL. One of the Porsches, a 996 Turbo had it's engine out twice and had been towed 3 times . It also came from the factory with two spark plugs with bent electrodes causing misfire upon delivery .
Interestingly, for me, each manufacturer has its own recurring issues over this time : MBZ : electronic control gremlins that seemingly cannot be solved even with software/hardware changes ; Porsche : motor issues ( ironic when you think about it ); Audi : suspensions prone to groans /squeaks/bushing wear and noisy or failure -prone pumps and actuators
All have been bought new and driven and cared for meticulously - it's a German car thing.

Last edited by Inclined; 01-31-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: okay now im f'in pissed