S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Is it okay to shift from 4th to 6th?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it okay to shift from 4th to 6th?

I shift from 4th to 6th in my 6MT all the time and really never use 5th. I heard some mention about syncro's wearing faster if you keep doing it, but it didn't make sense to me.

Anyone have any input on this???
Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

AND:

Is it safe to shift from 1st to 3rd on a manual?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, you can skip any gear that your want with a manual transmission. It's one of the tips to getting better MPG's.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all fine. Not mandatory that you hit each successive gear while accelerating. You can also skip gears when downshifting as well. Depending on your speed.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speed/RPM is the only important part. You are fine going from 2nd to 6th which I do all the time getting on the highway. Floor it in 2nd and then shift into 6th and cruise but you probably wouldnt want to go from highway speed in 6th and downshift to 2nd. Basically so long as your not going to push the RPMs up too high then your fine. My rule of thumb is I try to not down shift if its gonna push the RPMS above 5200-5400 cause once I step on it ill have to shift again too soon. Thats just me. Even though there is a rev limiter if you downshift from 6th at high speed(75-85mph) and instead of hitting 4th hit second instead your gonna go above the rev limiter and stand the chance to do some damage to your engine even though itll hit the fuel cut off, the internals will still be pushed to spin faster then you would want. Common sense and care is your friend but I skip a gear or two all the time upshifting or downshifting and Ive been doing it for 15 years. My dads been doing it for almost 50 years.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrGP
Its all fine. Not mandatory that you hit each successive gear while accelerating. You can also skip gears when downshifting as well. Depending on your speed.
Originally Posted by tenspeed
Yes, you can skip any gear that your want with a manual transmission. It's one of the tips to getting better MPG's.
Originally Posted by mkato13
Speed/RPM is the only important part. You are fine going from 2nd to 6th which I do all the time getting on the highway. Floor it in 2nd and then shift into 6th and cruise but you probably wouldnt want to go from highway speed in 6th and downshift to 2nd. Basically so long as your not going to push the RPMs up too high then your fine. My rule of thumb is I try to not down shift if its gonna push the RPMS above 5200-5400 cause once I step on it ill have to shift again too soon. Thats just me. Even though there is a rev limiter if you downshift from 6th at high speed(75-85mph) and instead of hitting 4th hit second instead your gonna go above the rev limiter and stand the chance to do some damage to your engine even though itll hit the fuel cut off, the internals will still be pushed to spin faster then you would want. Common sense and care is your friend but I skip a gear or two all the time upshifting or downshifting and Ive been doing it for 15 years. My dads been doing it for almost 50 years.
That is what I thought. There should be no harm in skipping gears as long as you wait the proper time so that the rpms drop and car doesn't buck or upshift and not rev match and cause clutch wear.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
That is what I thought. There should be no harm in skipping gears as long as you wait the proper time so that the rpms drop and car doesn't buck or upshift and not rev match and cause clutch wear.

Thanks for the input guys.
No prob. Most times I will rev match but when I am own shifting in an attempt to slow down I do not rev match. It may be harder on the car but in those cases its more of an emergency stop
Old 06-17-2012, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some GM cars used to lockout gears unless you were accelerating hard in order to meet their CAFE requirements for gas mileage. The car mags used to complain about this all the time. I don't know if they do this anymore.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know Corvettes used to do that. Had to go from 1st to 4th gear unless you were close to full throttle but they made simple plug in modules to get passed that too.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mkato13
I know Corvettes used to do that. Had to go from 1st to 4th gear unless you were close to full throttle but they made simple plug in modules to get passed that too.
Objectively, I find this incredibably hard to believe. . .

Quick Reply: Is it okay to shift from 4th to 6th?