S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Leather or Alcantara????
Leather all day!
45.59%
Alcantar is the way!
54.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

One more: Alcantar vs. Leather

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jMacB8S4
+1 on kids in the car.
Which is why I asked - I have a 3 year old and another due any day now, I have had puke in the back seat on the Alcantara, and it wiped right up. No residue or oder at all, just beaded up on the seat. Granted I also treating mine with Scotch Guard, but you can't do that with leather so just one more reason it's great.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have leather in my 2012 and after 2 months I kinda wish I had gone alcantara... although the leather adds a much more luxurious feel and look which is why I got it
Old 11-17-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have leather, but that was purely due to taking a car off the lot. I'd say that you can't go wrong either way but leather w/Magma (or Tuscan) is the best looking while Alcantara holds you in the seat best and seems to hold up to wear and tear even better than leather.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Which is why I asked - I have a 3 year old and another due any day now, I have had puke in the back seat on the Alcantara, and it wiped right up. No residue or oder at all, just beaded up on the seat. Granted I also treating mine with Scotch Guard, but you can't do that with leather so just one more reason it's great.
I actually can't speak from personal experience because I've not taken delivery of my S4 yet...11 more days. I tend to be harder on cars which is why I ordered leather. I figured with spills, etc. leather would be easier to keep clean.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't decide which way to go either; eventually decided to take the "other" route and went with Alcantara. Think the Alcantara is great, especially the grip, and it seems to breath well. Only down side, as a result of the grip, it does make it a little hard to slide in and out of the car in tights spaces. Certainly not a deal-breaker for me.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So for a daily driver - which do folks prefer. Funny thing is, in most other cars (G37, BMW 335, A4) this isn't a common discussion.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went with Nappa Leather mainly due to it being the only car on the lot. Audis leather seems thicker than other makes, and very comfy. Since we are on the topic, how often do people clean the leather and what do they use? In my prior cars I used Meguiars gold class, wondering if its good stuff to use on Nappa...
Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alex'S4
I have leather in my 2012 and after 2 months I kinda wish I had gone alcantara... although the leather adds a much more luxurious feel and look which is why I got it
Why? Just curious as a potential S4 buyer.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TP111
Why? Just curious as a potential S4 buyer.
Well before I had gotten the car I had been wanting alcantara inserts for quite some time but I ordered leather at the last moment in thinking that it would last and look better over the long haul. After 2 months it is already starting to look worn and even though it is miniscule, it bothers me when I look at it. Also as some others have said, alcantara holds your body better in the twisties, gives more of a sporty interior feel and isn't so cold in the winter when you get in.

Overall, I still love the look and feel of the leather and am happy with the decision.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alex'S4
Well before I had gotten the car I had been wanting alcantara inserts for quite some time but I ordered leather at the last moment in thinking that it would last and look better over the long haul. After 2 months it is already starting to look worn and even though it is miniscule, it bothers me when I look at it. Also as some others have said, alcantara holds your body better in the twisties, gives more of a sporty interior feel and isn't so cold in the winter when you get in.

Overall, I still love the look and feel of the leather and am happy with the decision.
Is it really hard to notice? Could you please describe the wear in more detail. Id appreciate it because I'm pretty focused on wear as well.

Quick Reply: One more: Alcantar vs. Leather