S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

ONEighty: Anatomized the Stock HEADLIGHTS & Grille - Custom Paint - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ONEighty: Anatomized the Stock HEADLIGHTS & Grille - Custom Paint - PICS

I was going to post this process in a work log I'm going to start for my S4, but I figured this could be useful to a lot of "DIYer's" so they could take a shot at this.

I didn't want to do the typical grille everyone is buying/painting, so my grille and headlights are completely disassembled for prep and paint work. I'm also doing a few custom modifications to the headlights.

Name:  DSC_3947.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  124.1 KB

Grille:

The grille consists of 44 pieces... the most detailed and labor intensive work I've ever done ! Every piece is going to be properly cleaned/prepped, painted, and reassembled back together. [headbang] All the chrome trim is hot glued from factory, so I had to sit there and remove the glue off each clip !

Started with removing all the hot glue...
Name:  b8_s4_grille2.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  61.7 KB

It became so overwheling, had some good ole NYC style Chinese food (sesame chicken <3 )
Name:  b8_s4_grille3.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  94.9 KB

Here's all the pieces the grille consists off. Believe it or not... the red boxes near the "S" emblems are actually vinyl decals, how cheap of Audi...considering Infiniti paint's their "S" on the rear badges. So if you're crafty, you can get some CF or any other color vinyl, carefully remove the factory RED decal, trace it around on the new piece of vinyl, carefully cut it out with a razor blade and stick it onto the emblem.

Name:  b8_s4_grille4.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  b8_s4_grille1.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  100.1 KB

Headlights:

Disclaimer... my company offers cosmetic modifications, including headlights, and I've been working on headlights everyday for the last 4+ years, so I have thousands of hours in experience. I've taken apart some of the most expensive headlights on the market, and these Audi headlights have been the hardest I've ever worked on. It took me nearly 1 hr to figure out how disassemble the housing on these headlights, and after all the paint work, I'm paranoid putting it all together because of the way the plastics are attached, these headlights are definitely assembled by a machine, and not a human. [wrench]

ONE headlight consists of 56 pieces (3 are not pictured- ballasts and small cap)

Name:  b8_xenon_headlights1.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  b8_xenon_headlights2.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  80.5 KB

Enjoy
Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

WOW! Good luck indeed putting the headlight back together.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wow - that's crazy - so what exactly are you doing?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow....
Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

1 eighty u are a sick ****...truly insane lol. But that is good ****. Cant wait to see the finished product. I know your work is on point so im sure Ill be paying you a visit when I see the end result.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm....since the LED's are out, you could change them
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
wow - that's crazy - so what exactly are you doing?
in terms of painting, I'm painting the main housing and the inside of the LED strip in Ibis White, some chrome accents and amber reflector in gun metal (shadow). The 2 strips that curve within the headlight will be painted gun metal on the sides, and the thin lines in front will be yellow. I'm doing a white, gloss black, and gunmetal/yellow accents throughout the car, the yellow to offset with the soon to be BBK, the yellow decals in the S4 badges, and a small hint of yellow in the mirrors. There's soooo many different ways to paint these headlights, and I don't want to just paint it black because the factory design is phenomenal and I want to keep the same look just without the flat black/chrome finish. I'm hoping we'll do Finesta's in all black and white, should look sick.

As for modifications... the projector lens is going to be swapped to a clear "euro" lens without the line across it. I'm also deleting the factory turn signal, it's going to be painted gunmetal to blend in with the housing, and the bulb will be removed. I'm putting low profile amber LED's between each slot inside the LED strip, so it'll be dual function turn signal and DTRL

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
1 eighty u are a sick ****...truly insane lol. But that is good ****. Cant wait to see the finished product. I know your work is on point so im sure Ill be paying you a visit when I see the end result.
Hehe thanks, def looking forward to doing some work with my triplet.

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Hmm....since the LED's are out, you could change them
Never, lol... there's no reason, they're highly reliable, pure white, fit the housing... they're just all around perfect.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

put some aluminum mesh behind the grille while you're at it. It'll look good, plus protect the intercooler/radiators. Something like this....

Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Former Vendor

Name:  DSC_3947.jpg
Views: 2899
Size:  124.1 KB

NYPD patrolling the area i see. lol
Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Been delaying things because I prioritize customer orders for my painter before mine, so I've only had a chance to paint all the gun metal pieces. Waiting for a free day to paint my grille black so I can put it all back together already.

I decided to have the amber reflector in the headlight wrapped in 1x1 matte CF, also the foglight rings, and as well as the thin strips across the foglight bezels. I didn't wanna do CF, but I'll keep it subtle, besides I just wanted to show it to you guys, worst case I'll sell em or get them repainted.

Here's what's done so far.

Projector lenses swapped
BEFORE
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_9" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="800"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">
</td><td class="td2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Name:  DSC_4254.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  57.2 KB

AFTER - gunna mess with it some more, see if I could get a sharper line
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_10" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="800"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">
</td><td class="td2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Name:  DSC_4256.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  50.7 KB

All the grille pieces in gun metal - first coat of sealer
Name:  IMG-20110411-00099.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  49.3 KB

Emblem, first coat of paint
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_11" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="800"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">
</td><td class="td2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Name:  IMG-20110411-00100.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  86.8 KB

Cleared
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_12" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="800"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">
</td><td class="td2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Name:  IMG-20110411-00101.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  112.0 KB

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_13" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="800"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">
</td><td class="td2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Name:  IMG-20110411-00102.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  112.4 KB

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_14" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="800"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">
</td><td class="td2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Name:  IMG-20110411-00104.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  147.5 KB

Last edited by 180Custom; 04-20-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: ONEighty: Anatomized the Stock HEADLIGHTS & Grille - Custom Paint - PICS