S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Only 400 miles on odo...ECU tune ok?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
At least two the B8 S4 3.0T engines self destructed (without an ECU tune) at less than 1k miles. The warranty discussion with the Dealer and Audi might have been a little more testy in those cases, if the ECU tune was present,at the the time. If Audi wants to know bad enough, they can figure out if the ECU was tuned.

Some people are risk takers some are not. That is for you to decide. Most likely you could get a tune right now and never have a problem, or you could be the one in 100,000 people, that has an issue (not even related to the ECU tune).

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2787539&page=2

It is really just a personal decision, to tune the ECU, with only 1k miles on the engine.
Let's be frank, both of those engines had large amounts of iron filings in the oil pan, no tune will cause that.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 282 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Let's be frank, both of those engines had large amounts of iron filings in the oil pan, no tune will cause that.
That is not the point. Audi could makes the fix a lot more difficult, if the ECU tune was in place.

One failed engine had a fractured connecting rod, probably a manufacturing defect, but a dealer could blame an ECU tune.

One is never 100% safe, infant mortality can happen on new engines.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
You have 2 weeks to put on 600 miles. Take a weekend trip to Montreal with your savings and get her done! I did my GTI when it was relatively new. It now has 172,000 km on the odometer, no issues.
How many times did the CB fairy visit you?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by m444
That is not the point. Audi could makes the fix a lot more difficult, if the ECU tune was in place.

One failed engine had a fractured connecting rod, probably a manufacturing defect, but a dealer could blame an ECU tune.

One is never 100% safe, infant mortality can happen on new engines.
And that car was doing ~50mph at 3,400 RPM's or some such very tame number which I don't remember exactly, but you get the gist. They were able to pull that info from diagnostics. They would have to suspect the ECU to even look that direction in the first place.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Any concerns about the chip-tuning being over-written at a future service? Audi seems to release quite a few updates, some that will reset the ECU. Find out about the company's policy for restoring your tune should it become an issue in the future.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Any concerns about the chip-tuning being over-written at a future service? Audi seems to release quite a few updates, some that will reset the ECU. Find out about the company's policy for restoring your tune should it become an issue in the future.
It happens, though very very infrequently. When it does, APR (for example) already has been aware in the past and has the reflash ready that incorporates the changes Audi made, which are likely for reliability, bug fixes, etc, on top of the original tune, and they always reflash for free. The trick is that right now that means shipping the ECU back and being with no car again for a few days.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
And that car was doing ~50mph at 3,400 RPM's or some such very tame number which I don't remember exactly, but you get the gist. They were able to pull that info from diagnostics. They would have to suspect the ECU to even look that direction in the first place.
IIRC, they hooked one of them up to some sort of special machine that verified that there was no tune on the ECU. Whether this supplies the encryption key and does an actual ECU checksum verification or just checks the flash counter bit that APR resets to zero, I have no idea. I suspect that in the case of catastrophic engine failure they may indeed look in that direction as it's a fairly costly repair, whether they suspect it or not, and the burden would then be on the owner to fight off in court.

In any case I do think the APR tune is safe, and I doubt there would be any sort of problem, but taking it past 1000 mi first isn't a bad idea at all if for nothing else than peace of mind.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 282 Likes on 205 Posts

Putting on 1,000 miles first, before ECU tune, would be prudent, to make sure you received a quality engine. One should not treat the unlikely as impossible (the black swan mistake of the financial sector collapse recently).
Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by helix139
IIRC, they hooked one of them up to some sort of special machine that verified that there was no tune on the ECU. Whether this supplies the encryption key and does an actual ECU checksum verification or just checks the flash counter bit that APR resets to zero, I have no idea. I suspect that in the case of catastrophic engine failure they may indeed look in that direction as it's a fairly costly repair, whether they suspect it or not, and the burden would then be on the owner to fight off in court.

In any case I do think the APR tune is safe, and I doubt there would be any sort of problem, but taking it past 1000 mi first isn't a bad idea at all if for nothing else than peace of mind.
Yes, the dealer has the ability to check the counter which shows how many times the ECU has been flashed.

APR (I can't speak for the others) always records whatever number is present before the flash it, and replace that same value there during the flash, so there is no incremental change in this number for them to note.