S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Ordered S4 but switching to E550 4matic...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered S4 but switching to E550 4matic...

It was a tough choice but I think I am going for the E550. The S4 is beautiful but just falls short in some areas. I know that's blasphemy on this site but the lack of technology, ie adaptive headlights, auto dimming for example pushed it. Plus, I have been an Audi guy my whole life so I thought I would give the dark side a try........
Old 11-30-2010, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did the same, but switched from BMW to Audi. I looked at MB as well, but they didn't have the style of car I was looking for.

I'm coming from an '08 BMW 335i. Loved the car, but need one a bit larger, and with AWD - and Audi's quattro is about the best their is; and I also wanted to sample a new brand. I was on my third BMW; my wife has an '06 530xi wagon. Great car for the family. Certainly not fast, or sporty, but it's great for vacations to Italy or wherever.. The S4 is basically "daddy's car"..
Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nica
It was a tough choice but I think I am going for the E550. The S4 is beautiful but just falls short in some areas. I know that's blasphemy on this site but the lack of technology, ie adaptive headlights, auto dimming for example pushed it. Plus, I have been an Audi guy my whole life so I thought I would give the dark side a try........

I see the occasional NA owners orders & takes delivery (pick up) from Ingolstadt - driving to port and seeing their car shipped to US ...or at least that what I interpret from comments. Not sure the latter has anything to do with vehicle orders that come with 'Audi Exclusive' add on options, BUT given that S4 does get built for certain region / markets with the features you noted 'and more' is there no way that you could push Audi NA to add / get the features you want using 'Audi Exclusive' sales window so to speak? None of the features you want are infringing FMVSS regulations or like so seems if there's a will there's a way (by Audi). Also, I thought Adaptive Headlights & Auto dimming was already spec'd on Canada vehicles .....might there be another route arranged by Audi NA through channels there?

E550 is a different breed however, so not sure the additional features you noted are alone what swayed your decision Happy driving nonetheless.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2011 seems to have auto dimming mirrors both inside and out
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree that Audi's decision to remove some luxury from the S4 (power folding mirrors, adaptive headlights, etc.) has me reconsidering it as an option.

It's especially annoying that my 2002 B6 A4 had rear heated seats and power folding mirrors, but my potential 2011 S4 will not.

It also annoys me to no end how Audi Financial dings Prestige buyers on the lease residuals.

As such, the X5 diesel has piqued my interest, and the only vehicles in the Audi line-up that would be of interest are the A6 but that redesign should be out next year, but not in time for when my current lease ends.

All that said, the S4 driving experience is still very attractive.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nica
not knocking your decision. E550 is a great car and it definitely has more tech available than the s4. But you know you can get a S4 in the prestige trim with auto dimming mirrors and that it's still about 3~4 grand cheaper than a base e550, yes?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had adaptive headlights in my BMW. I don't have them in my Audi. It still lights the road bright as day, you just need to aim them a little higher than factory if you're driving fast at night.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FastMarkA
It's especially annoying that my 2002 B6 A4 had rear heated seats and power folding mirrors, but my potential 2011 S4 will not.
Don't S4s have heated rear seats? I actually never even checked this on my car.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Heated rear seats are a special order factory item...as are adaptive headlights (at least here in Canada they are). In fact, adaptive headlights are standard on the Premium model S4.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one crucial thing all S4's come with that the E550's don't: A clutch (and sometimes a pair of them). A sports car with a torque converter just seems sacrilegious to me.

Quick Reply: Ordered S4 but switching to E550 4matic...