S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Ordering a 2012 S4

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a 2012 S4

Test drove the 2011 S4 manual and fell in love. Unfortunatley, limited choice at end of 2011 cycle, so dealer convinces me to order one from the factory with my exact specs (he tells me I'll have the car around 12 weeks later). While new specs and packages have come out, no prices yet and I remain on the fence, undecided between premium prestige (with assorted option: nav, sports diff, B&O stereo, advanced key) and pretige model. With 2011 model, it was a $2900 difference after taking nav & stereo into acct. I happen to like the 18" mags, and while the 19" five spoke are nice, I hear they are more prone to flats (and more expensive to replace). Without the prices, it's hard to decide whether the side assist, parking sensors, adaptive lights are worth the difference.
That raises the next issue, PAINT COLORS. Pretty limited choices in 2012. Decided I like the 2011 quartz gray and then then discontinue it. Really bummed. Everyone knows that black is the most beautiful color, until you drive the car off the lot and it gets dirty. Ruled out red and white and am left with silver (which I ordinarily don't like) moonlight blue (not sure about, but looks dark) or the monsoon gray metallic (which is where I'm leaning).
From a quick look around the forums, it appears as though there are some knowledgeable audiphiles out there. Any advice? Thanx
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Most people that custom order do so because they know exactly what they want and don't want to compromise. Sounds like you need to figure that stuff out first.

If you are set on Quartz gray go to cars.com and see what is out there from other dealerships.

Personally I think NAV, SD, B&O are musts. Advanced key is a plus and can be added to a P+ in 2012 but not the case for 2011's. Memory seats a bonus for 2012 P+ as well. Not so sure how useful adaptive headlights will be as the standard xenons are pretty dang bright. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone else was looking for a Quartz Gray in stock and there were VERY few if any. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2805038. But some thoughts. If you really Have to have QG, it can be had for $2500. Secondly Monsoon Gray looks decent but you have to like it. If you intend to lease, you will get a better rate on a Prem + because it has a higher residual. I know color is important to me. So if you don't like what Audi offers , then you will need to pony up $2500 to pick an alternative. BTW, Id rather spend the money on options. Just be glad that you can actually do it. Couldn't do such when I ordered my previous 335i. Otherwise, find a standard color that you can live with. Black always works but is never clean enough for me. FYI, the stock 18" Pirelli tires are very expensive to replace. No bargain there, but this car just looks "right" with 19s.

Last edited by DrGP; 05-18-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Someone else was looking for a Quartz Gray in stock and there were VERY few if any. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2805038. .

That was me and there is now one left in the US that met my criteria.I have already spoken with that dealer and they will not budge past $600 off MSRP. Too rich for my blood.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can almost guarantee you will not get it in 12 weeks.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I can almost guarantee you will not get it in 12 weeks.
I have new 2012 cars that will be here in less then 12 weeks. If anyone needs one let me know.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Order it and get exactly what you want and negotiate a fair price. You won't regret it. As for color, if you aren't sold on any of the normal colors, go Audi Exclusive and get something special like Daytona Gray, Suzuka Gray, or my personal favorite Sepang Blue. Figure out exactly what you want and negotiate a fair price to get it (somewhere in the neighborhood of invoice + $500-1000).

If you don't have the money now for the options you want, save up a couple extra months and order then and just make a bigger down payment (if purchasing) or use the money toward lease payments (don't make a down payment if leasing).
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy19
I have new 2012 cars that will be here in less then 12 weeks. If anyone needs one let me know.
I'm skeptical if these are special orders. If they are cars already being built, I'll believe it. For a special order to take 12 weeks, you would have to find one just before lock down and change the config to what you want.

Building a custom order from scratch has been 100 days on average since the car hit the US.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I'm skeptical if these are special orders. If they are cars already being built, I'll believe it. For a special order to take 12 weeks, you would have to find one just before lock down and change the config to what you want.

Building a custom order from scratch has been 100 days on average since the car hit the US.
Peoples experiences on here are because of dealers lying to them. An order should take 12 weeks maximum. Unless the dealer doesnt tell you the REAL production date/WEEK.

When I order an S4 or any car for for a customer, I give the customer the printout with the commission number and the CONFIRMED production week on the printout.

The fact that people get misled here by some shady dealers should't effect everyone's veiws on reality and sullen the reputation of dealers like mine that do business the right way.

Last edited by Carguy19; 05-19-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

To the OP,

I was in the exact same situation as you, until just about 2 hours ago (I'll explain)...

Test drove an S4 and the 335xi back to back 2 weekends ago. It was close, but the S4 won out with it's flat torque curve and awesome interior. The following weekend, went to dealer to negotiate a price. Took a copy of output from Amex Zag and got what I thought was a fair price. Shook hands and a deal was made! I was eyeing Quartz grey just like you. Not available for 2012. Well, deep sea blue is kinda nice. NA as well! But something called monsoon grey and moonlight blue are available. Any cars or chips to look at? Nope. So I left the dealer having chosen all my options except for exterior and interior colors. Did some research on monsoon grey and the color is nice. But I kept coming back to the brilliant black S4's with the alu mirrors. I just thought that combo looked so cool! But I know about the trials and tribulations of owning a black car. So emailed the dealer yesterday and told them to make mine monsoon grey.

I go home last night and I must have passed a dozen or so black cars, a handful of them Audi's. They look really good, even when not 100% clean! Did some more research last night on Brilliant black last night and emailed my dealer to change my order to BB! So now I have a 2012 BB S4 prestige that I was told would be available in, yes, 12 weeks time. We shall see.

I'm pretty excited! Will be my first Audi! Just bracing myself for the weekly car washes, detailing, etc.

Good luck on your decision. Either way you go, you'll be picking up an awesome car!

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2012 S4