S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Ordering 2013 S4 - Two quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering 2013 S4 - Two quick questions

So I've been shopping for a new car the last month and had gone back and forth around adding a weekend car (corvette or mustang) or just replacing current accord with a 335xi or S4. Test drove the s4 and pretty well set on this although as soon as hurricane sandy passes I will test drive a 335xi but given what I know of the car - I don't think the lack of suspension will be what I want - the sport differential on my s4 test drives was amazing.

I've read through 45 pages of the forums (yeah I'm back at the beginning of 2012) and have answered pretty much all quesitons but two. First off I can't seem to find any good pictures of a Glacier white with the red/black interior. Most of the threads around them tend to have pics that don't work. If anybody with this car can post pics, I'd be greatly appreciative (ibsis white would work as well).

I'm also stuck on the transmission. I drove back to back s4's in both versions. Both incredible drives. I had been set on the DSG just to try something different and sometimes an auto can be a very relaxing drive. However, I'd like to keep the car for 75,000 miles or so and quite frankly it looks like the DSG has some odd issues and even some blow transmissions covered under warranty. Quite frankly don't want to deal with a potential 12,000 repair down the road.

I know the DSG hasn't been out long in the s4 but is the reliability on the 6mt really that much better? I know this is a forum but it seems like almost everybody has some minor issue with the DSG.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had my DSG car for three days now and no issues so far. But seriously, I would make that decision based on your own driving habits and priorities rather than trying to guess which one might be more reliable. All the past data in the world doesn't mean you might not have problems with either one, and most likely would be fixed under warranty anyway. I opted for DSG becuase I do a lot of freeway and rush-hour commuting and less and less hardcore street driving so it fits my daily driver needs very well. Also, I wanted to try the latest and greatest transmission tech which dual-cluth most certainly is. It hasn't been very long but I really like it so far.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Ibis White with Magma/Black Nappa. What kind of picture you looking for? One from the outside that shows the seats?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was on the fence on the MT/DSG issue. The DSG is the first AT I seriously considered when given a choice (my last car had no MT option), as it shifts fast and has a good manual mode. Ended up with MT because of DSG reliability concerns. One thing I did not pay attention too is that the MT top gear ratio is significantly lower than that for DSG, so on a highway an MT S4 consumes more gas and is slightly noisier.

Still, I find MT driving more involving and enjoyable.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4wdFan
+1 my short answer
Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slasher016
I have the Ibis White with Magma/Black Nappa. What kind of picture you looking for? One from the outside that shows the seats?
You hit the nail on the head. I'm just curious how it matches up with the white. I have a feeling fantastic but jsut looking to confirm. My dealer has not a single split color of any model on the floor. I've been going back and forth with the magma red or silver option. Either would look fine but red obviously matches better.

Originally Posted by 4wdFan
I was on the fence on the MT/DSG issue. The DSG is the first AT I seriously considered when given a choice (my last car had no MT option), as it shifts fast and has a good manual mode. Ended up with MT because of DSG reliability concerns. One thing I did not pay attention too is that the MT top gear ratio is significantly lower than that for DSG, so on a highway an MT S4 consumes more gas and is slightly noisier.

I'm not really concerned about gas mileage because quite frankly I average 20mpg in my v6 accord (hwy is 28 or so). If I'm spending 60k on a car i just don't care about the extra 300 a year it will cost in gas.

Never considered the noise factor though. howeever it's a fairly quiet car anyway. DSG reliability is about the only concern I truly have. I feel like the DSG would be much easier for spirited driving on twisty roads. Still there is something to be said for a manual as well and my current commute is easy from the house i live at now compared to the last car I had a manual with.

Sigh transmission piece is driving me up a wall. Only thing keeping me from placing an order today. Well and I need ot figure out my RIM piece too. I don't mind the 19s but I'd prefer to just get 18 with a/s and then buy the TI replica (looks so nice on white). However, I'm not sure how I feel about the rev limiter.

I appreciate all the advice. This purchase is driving me up a wall which is funny because I purchased my first house at 25 with about 10 minutes of thought into it. Car on the other hand days....
Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

1. My wife cannot drive a manual.
2. I live in Seattle and I am too old to have my DD be a manual. If this were a fun second car, manual all the way.
3. I ordered the 18" with summer tires. I already bought Blizzaks for the wheels, and am going to just sell the tires on Craiglslist to help offset the cost. I bought some new 19" TSW's and Michelin PSS for the summer. Its obviously cheaper to buy the car and use the set of summer tires it comes with, but then again, its a $60K car.

Originally Posted by Mike00
You hit the nail on the head. I'm just curious how it matches up with the white. I have a feeling fantastic but jsut looking to confirm. My dealer has not a single split color of any model on the floor. I've been going back and forth with the magma red or silver option. Either would look fine but red obviously matches better.

I'm not really concerned about gas mileage because quite frankly I average 20mpg in my v6 accord (hwy is 28 or so). If I'm spending 60k on a car i just don't care about the extra 300 a year it will cost in gas.

Never considered the noise factor though. howeever it's a fairly quiet car anyway. DSG reliability is about the only concern I truly have. I feel like the DSG would be much easier for spirited driving on twisty roads. Still there is something to be said for a manual as well and my current commute is easy from the house i live at now compared to the last car I had a manual with.

Sigh transmission piece is driving me up a wall. Only thing keeping me from placing an order today. Well and I need ot figure out my RIM piece too. I don't mind the 19s but I'd prefer to just get 18 with a/s and then buy the TI replica (looks so nice on white). However, I'm not sure how I feel about the rev limiter.

I appreciate all the advice. This purchase is driving me up a wall which is funny because I purchased my first house at 25 with about 10 minutes of thought into it. Car on the other hand days....
Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had an AT 2007 X3. It shifted like crap. So bad in fact I sued and won against BMW and replaced it with a MT X3. They tried to tell me that all drive by wire AT's shift that way. BS.

I was going to get another MT with this S4, but decided because of multiple injuries I have incurred over the years from martial arts, moto-cross, and other rough sports I would chance an AT again.

The S4 shifts are so transparent they are almost linear. I have had the S4 over a month now with 2,500 miles and no issues. The paddles make up for when I want to play and respond well. Nice to as I just sprained a wrist while helping a buddy take his 3'rd kyu exam in Aikido.

ps dont get the A/S they put a limiter on the darn car if you do.

Last edited by Evlengr; 10-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Motocross injuries is also one of my reasons :lol:

Originally Posted by Evlengr
I had an AT 2007 X3. It shifted like crap. So bad in fact I sued and won against BMW and replaced it with a MT X3. They tried to tell me that all drive by wire AT's shift that way. BS.

I was going to get another MT with this S4, but decided because of multiple injuries I have incurred over the years from martial arts, moto-cross, and other rough sports I would chance an AT again.

The S4 shifts are so transparent they are almost linear. I have had the S4 over a month now with 2,500 miles and no issues. The paddles make up for when I want to play and respond well. Nice to as I just sprained a wrist while helping a buddy take his 3'rd kyu exam in Aikido.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr

I'm 28 but my knees are a bit beat up from sports - some heavy taffic can hurt. I'm leaning towards the DSG now I just really hate the idea of having to pay 12k for a transmission under 100k miles. hopefully won't happen.

As to tires. I've done a little more research, I'll probably go with 18's summer tires and then purchase the rims/tires I want later. I can always sell the 18 rubbers to cover some of the cost for winter tires.

With this thread here I'm pretty close to being comfortable with the DSG. Now I just need to figure out color options. I've been bouncing back and forth between red magma or just keep it simple with silver/black alcantra.

Quick Reply: Ordering 2013 S4 - Two quick questions