S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Ordering an S4 but guaranteeing a price over invoice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shop around. Talk to another dealer. You might want to mention your general location. Someone might be able to point you to someone at a different dealer willing to deal.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm in Dallas, TX. Anyone have dealer recommendations for the area?
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SMUS4
I've been communicating with a dealer via email and they told me they had a 2013 S4 coming in within the week. It has a few more options than I want and they want MSRP for it. I also asked about ordering one and they wanted $2,000 deposit and MSRP for it as well.

From reading this thread, it sounds like this offer isn't reasonable at all. I could maybe see MSRP for a car that's arriving soon but MSRP and $2k deposit seems a bit steep for an ordered car.

Thoughts?
MSRP isnt even a thought anymore. My last 4 new cars have been no more than 1% over invocie with the avg dealer fee on the B.O. My 2011 S4 was pre-ordered right at Invoice with a $1500 AUDI Incentive and I split the $699 dealer fee. I generally pre-order a car as I dont like getting options I dont want. There is no value in that and I dont coax myslef into thinking there is. I am also very picky aout interior combos and options. That's just the way i am. So its rare that the exact car i want is incoming

My suggestion is that depending on your geographical market (supply & demand) you live in, you may have to travel to get a great deal. I've done it many times and its worth it. Just take into account plane fare and gas costs

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 05-21-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

My thoughts are: "No way!"

No way to MSRP.
No way to a $2k deposit.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM
9BG
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by waffles
"You're making 2k above invoice, and you're going to risk losing the sale over haggling for $100? You need to figure out when to stop selling and when to start closing."
That, Sir, is GOLD. Thank you for the ammo!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
9BG
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mmarcski
Wow. That is just Nuts!! Must be a really small time dealer, no?

I ordered my 2012 S4 in 1/12, picked it up 3/14. I stopped by the dealer a few times while it was on order and had my SA pull up the car on the computer and I saw the entire thing from it being in the factory to the ship to port to dealer etc.

I didn't put a dime down!

Granted it was my 3rd car from this dealer and the 2nd from this particular SA. But when I picked it up, the business mgr said, my SA never takes any money down. Lol.
Nope - Tysons Corner Audi and Chantilly Audi are BOTH owned by Penske. They have cornered the market here in (Western) Northern Virginia - unless you want to deal with Audi Arlington or Audi Alexandria.

I got the same story: $1000 Non-Refundable deposit. They are now down to $500, but it's still non-refundable ("unless the car is damaged"). And that's for an A4 2.0, not the S4.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
MSRP isnt even a thought anymore. My last 4 new cars have been no more than 1% over invocie with the avg dealer fee on the B.O. My 2011 S4 was pre-ordered right at Invoice with a $1500 AUDI Incentive and I split the $699 dealer fee. I generally pre-order a car as I dont like getting options I dont want. There is no value in that and I dont coax myslef into thinking there is. I am also very picky aout interior combos and options. That's just the way i am. So its rare that the exact car i want is incoming

My suggestion is that depending on your geographical market (supply & demand) you live in, you may have to travel to get a great deal. I've done it many times and its worth it. Just take into account plane fare and gas costs
Mark,

I take since service is such a cash cow the local dealers will still take it in for warranty repairs regardless of where you purchased it?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Mark,

I take since service is such a cash cow the local dealers will still take it in for warranty repairs regardless of where you purchased it?
Typically yes. Dealers make much more money on the service end. In fact, the dealer I service my S4 at always gives me a loaner and I did not buy the car from them (Its the same way with Lexus).

At the same time, Its important to reciprocate. I always try to give my servicer high marks on the survey (which they pretty much beg you to do as they hand the keys back to you) Its the old "I scratch your back, you scratch mine"

Once in a while I hear stories that a dealer wont go out of their way for an owner who didnt purchase there but at that point, AoA would get a phone call if that happened to me. Still some dealers dont GAF but there are very few of them. It really makes no sense to me though because its really bad business and that will come back to bite them

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 05-22-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just spoke with another dealer and they wanted a $500 NON-refundable deposit. Which isn't a big deal sinceI'm ordering a specific car so I am going to buy it, but it just seemed odd..even if I didn't buy it I'm sure they could sell it easily.
I asked them about making it refundable and they wouldn't budge either. They're giving me the best deal though so I may just have to pay it.