S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Owners with out sports diff.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, 60% split is still present. The Diff moves power from the slipping rear wheel to the one with grip.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Yes, 60% split is still present. The Diff moves power from the slipping rear wheel to the one with grip.
In addition to moving the power, you have 3 settings: Auto, Dynamic, and Comfort. These settings adjust the steering feedback, as well as (I think) how aggressively the sport diff intervenes and how responsive the throttle is.

I believe the only difference between the sports rear diff and the Audi Drive Select is the suspension adjustment.

Brian
Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh ok so there is still the split, i guess thats fair enough

thanks a lot
Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A few thoughts for you...

I wound up having no diff, I still love the car. It understeers far less than I had anticipated it would. The 60/40 split along with some weight distribution changes rearward in comparison to previous models have both made significant improvements in handling of the base vehicle. The diff improves this even further. (I have driven both and personally concluded this is a spectacular machine with or without the diff.)

Despite the fact that I'm pretty happy with the handling I have now, the advice of many of the other members here holds water as this option is very much worth the money, and we all anticipate it being a sought after option in the used market a few years down the road.

Ultimately only you can decide what will fit you best.. test drive what's available, and drive it hard.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Many with SD say this is the feature that makes the S4 special. Does that infer that previous S4's were not special including the RS4? If you are ordering the car, get the SD. Like me, if you purchased from inventory without SD you will be happy but maybe not as happy. The rear bias is improved in the B8 and it handles better than previous generations that were or were not special. I believe the SD is superior but I am still waiting for someone to show me on paper the difference is slalom or skidpad results. I recall arguing that the quarter mile time was better than most thought. I was proved correct. I am confident that the skidpad results will not be much better but I am not so sure about slalom which I agree is ultimately the the determining factor. The driver may be the ultimate factor. I disagree about the SD being a material factor in the used car market. There are plenty of cars in the past with some form of variable suspension settings that don't add any value now. In fact, those options are perceived more as a problem then a benefit. True or False?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it
Many with SD say this is the feature that makes the S4 special. Does that infer that previous S4's were not special including the RS4? If you are ordering the car, get the SD. Like me, if you purchased from inventory without SD you will be happy but maybe not as happy. The rear bias is improved in the B8 and it handles better than previous generations that were or were not special. I believe the SD is superior but I am still waiting for someone to show me on paper the difference is slalom or skidpad results. I recall arguing that the quarter mile time was better than most thought. I was proved correct. I am confident that the skidpad results will not be much better but I am not so sure about slalom which I agree is ultimately the the determining factor. The driver may be the ultimate factor. I disagree about the SD being a material factor in the used car market. There are plenty of cars in the past with some form of variable suspension settings that don't add any value now. In fact, those options are perceived more as a problem then a benefit. True or False?
True.

The 4C active chassis in the '04-'07 Volvo R series is really not well executed in that particular car. Plus, it's tied into the whole system of the car (AWD, yaw control, etc, etc.) and you can not replace the shocks with anything other than OEM - at $800 each plus labor.

But as for the sport diff....I wouldn't forsee any type of issues like that in the future. But I've learned my lesson from the Volvo and wouldn't order ADS with the active suspension. Just the sport diff.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am one of those.

+1
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Change your order. Add the sport diff, plenty of time right now. I had a B5 S4 with no sport diff and it understeered, still cornered very well. This car with the sport diff is amazing! Very flat cornering, like you are on rails and neutral steering. Well worth it. My 0.02.

Bruce
Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seems like a no-brainer to get SD, it's only $1,100 for such a good perf update. Now if only the TTS has this option.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
Change your order. Add the sport diff, plenty of time right now. I had a B5 S4 with no sport diff and it understeered, still cornered very well. This car with the sport diff is amazing! Very flat cornering, like you are on rails and neutral steering. Well worth it. My 0.02.

Bruce
How is flat cornering related to the SD? As mentioned previously, the B5 is not comparable to the B8 in that the torque bias with the 8 is 40/60 F to R and the engine has also been moved back (4" in comparison to the B7).

Quick Reply: Owners with out sports diff.