S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Pacific NW

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I don't know a lot about the Audi's yet, but can someone please explain what it means to De-wink? I know I know, stupid noob questions, but I gotta start somewhere
Old 12-27-2011, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pepsiguy
Ok, I don't know a lot about the Audi's yet, but can someone please explain what it means to De-wink? I know I know, stupid noob questions, but I gotta start somewhere
keeping your LED DRL lights on when you turn on your turn signal... from the factory the side that has the turn blinker "blinking" will have it's DRL off while doing so... probably so people can better see you signaling a turn.

Probably one of the most common VAG com corrections.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
keeping your LED DRL lights on when you turn on your turn signal... from the factory the side that has the turn blinker "blinking" will have it's DRL off while doing so... probably so people can better see you signaling a turn.

Probably one of the most common VAG com corrections.
I did notice it turn off when you use the turn sigmal, really didnt think much of it, guess its a big deal to some?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did notice it turn off when you use the turn sigmal, really didnt think much of it, guess its a big deal to some?
Yeah... just a matter of "taste". Some people can't stand front plates... some need tint, some need their cars lowered... it's all a matter of what you think looks best.

Talk to Neal, he's a wizard with the vag-com and can do all sorts of fun stuff. (turn off your seat belt chime, up the intensity of your LED's, stop the winking, add the oil temp, etc etc.)

(Thanks Neal!)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing settings with VAGCOM is really easy for the most part. If you can use a computer you can do it! I highly recommend getting a cable, or meet up with someone who has one the first time to check it out and then decide. Some may only want to make a couple changes one time only, so getting help may be better. Most of my changes are in my signature line. There are a number of detailed threads on this forum and elsewhere that walk you through the steps.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I did a little of research about Vag-com and the cable itself can be had for a pretty descent price, but do I need software? I would think so. I think I would like to possibly meet up with someone who has some experience before I venture into playing with the programming on this car. Anyone in the Seattle area free in about two or three weeks???
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I did a little of research about Vag-com and the cable itself can be had for a pretty descent price, but do I need software? I would think so. I think I would like to possibly meet up with someone who has some experience before I venture into playing with the programming on this car. Anyone in the Seattle area free in about two or three weeks???
Yep
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Yep
Very cool. So how much do you charge for your services? I really just need to learn how things work, I take it you have to have some software to go with it, correct ?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool. So how much do you charge for your services? I really just need to learn how things work, I take it you have to have some software to go with it, correct ?
I don't charge people anything, this is an enthusiast community, and it didn't cost me any more to buy the cable for my personal use than to help others.

I have the authentic cable from Ross-Tech, not the China knock offs, which are garbage. The cable is what you pay for, because it has a chip in it that allows use of the software for free. You get lifetime updates to the software by having a legit cable. So yes, I have the software as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I don't charge people anything, this is an enthusiast community, and it didn't cost me any more to buy the cable for my personal use than to help others.

I have the authentic cable from Ross-Tech, not the China knock offs, which are garbage. The cable is what you pay for, because it has a chip in it that allows use of the software for free. You get lifetime updates to the software by having a legit cable. So yes, I have the software as well.
Got it, not something I was able to do with my Acuras, so this is all new to me. I kinda figured there were knock offs, but wasn't sure what made the difference. If its ok, I will contact you once my car arrives in Seattle, it is in transit from Houston, or so I am told.

Quick Reply: Pacific NW