S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Passenger Side Mirror no longer moving down when in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Side Mirror no longer moving down when in Reverse

So my passenger side mirror used to move down (although not as much as our BMW) when in Reverse. However, it has stopped doing it for some reason. I have tried moving the mirror control toggle to all three positions and am not sure if it has something to do with memory seat control buttons. Anyone else have this issue on a 2012?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've tried the steps in VCDS to get this to work on my B8S4 to no avail - hoping someone here can help you (us) out.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carbines
I've tried the steps in VCDS to get this to work on my B8S4 to no avail - hoping someone here can help you (us) out.
Did you check the box for folding mirrors also? I know we don't have that option in the US, but the instructions I followed said to check this box as well as another box (for the dip itself but I forget the wording). Mine works. It is weird that some B8s have the mirror dip right from the factory or dealer while others don't. Note that I don't have memory seats.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Stupid question, do we have to enable this feature in VCDS or it's standard? I don't remember seeing my mirror moving down in reverse.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinHee
Stupid question, do we have to enable this feature in VCDS or it's standard? I don't remember seeing my mirror moving down in reverse.
I think we need toeneble it in vcds, unless the dealer (or someone) already enabled it.

Curiously, I had the start engine needle sweep enabled from the dealer, which I don't think is 'standard' for the US market. Could be wrong, but I've read about a lot of folks wanting to enable it. Oh well.

I will double-check the setting for 'folding mirrors' when I get home. I can't remember whether I enabled that or not. Will post the results. Thanks for the tip, zulujams!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

If you have memory seats, you have the dipping mirror. The mirror **** needs to be set to the right mirror, car in reverse.

If you don't have memory seats, you need to enable the function via VCDS.

It's not perfect when you enable it with VCDS. The mirror doesn't always return to the proper position when it tilts back up. I guess the cars with the memory seats get a different mirror drive mechanism.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kevin, it seems a bit random on who has it already and who had to set it with vagcom. Make sure your mirror selector is set to passenger as this is the only setting that will trigger it in reverse. If it still doesn't work, you need to vag it. Note that it is a little quirky anyway once you get it enabled. If you don't have memory seats (which gives you memory mirrors, right?), the mirror will move back up when in drive but maybe not to the exact setting you had it at before. Still, it is a nice feature if you need to get really close to a curb on a narrow street or for other reasons. I almost always forget to select the passenger mirror before backing up though since I need my mirror at the normal position for backing into my garage.

Carbines, the same thing seems to happen with the needle sweep--some have it from the start and others need to enable it. That is the only vagcom mod my car came with. I'm guessing the dealer set it to try to seal the deal for a sale! Let us know if the folding mirror check helps you.

Edit: lol, thanks uberwgn, you beat me to some of it while I was typing away!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Uberwgn and zulujams: You guys are right on - turn out I did have 'folding mirrors' enabled along with the 'mirror dip' option.

my mirror selector was on the left mirror, however. Duh.

I noticed the dip once I paid attention to it, it's less pronounced that the mirror tilt on my 3rdGen Acura TL.

I looked for the tilted mirror to return, but didn't see it. I couldn't drive tonight, so maybe it doesn't return until you start travelling forward - can anyone confirm?

Thanks again, gents, for the assistance.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Carbines
Uberwgn and zulujams: You guys are right on - turn out I did have 'folding mirrors' enabled along with the 'mirror dip' option.

my mirror selector was on the left mirror, however. Duh.

I noticed the dip once I paid attention to it, it's less pronounced that the mirror tilt on my 3rdGen Acura TL.

I looked for the tilted mirror to return, but didn't see it. I couldn't drive tonight, so maybe it doesn't return until you start travelling forward - can anyone confirm?

Thanks again, gents, for the assistance.
If you have the memory seats, you can adjust how far the mirror dips. When in reverse - and with the mirror dipped, just adjust it with the **** until it's where you want it. It will then always move to that position when in reverse and when the **** is switched to passenger. Most of our controls work like this, if your satnav talks to you and it's too loud or quiet, adjust the volume when it's speaking and it will remember the setting for next time etc.

The manual is full of useful info like this (I know real men don't read the manual ) - did you know that the aircon switches off when you use full throttle to give you more power for example?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Carbines, I'm pretty positive that you need to drive forward, probably for a few feet at least, and speed may be a factor. The mirror stays in the down position in case you're going back and forth slightly in case you hacked the parallel parking attempt lol.

Troccy, the manual is definitely full of useful info, but it also takes a lot to read it and it is hard to remember everything at least for me. It is a good reference guide though. I just learned something today: you can press the radio button multiple times in a row and it will switch between bands. Not useful for me, but I thought this was easier than going to one of the quadrant buttons and then using the ****. Now that I've had the car for around 9 months I should read the manual again, particularly the NAV section.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Mirror no longer moving down when in Reverse