S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

pitfalls of leasing

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lease was up last August and the inspection process took about 10 minutes.

The inspector came out, looked inside the car, around the car and had me start the car. I had a number of relatively minor scratches and dings from parking lots and highway driving. I even had some curb rash on three of the wheels. No problems, questions or hassles.

I turned in a Land Rover LR3 a few months before that and it was the same. Again, there were some scratches and dings, but the whole process took 10 minutes with no hassle.

I have heard horror stories from other friends though about their lease turn-ins, so YMMV.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by canyon carver
I am still debating this myself. I've leased cars for myself and my wife and for the past 10 years have paid cash for my two A4s.

For me, the big downside with leasing is that when the lease is up, it is UP. Time to get a new vehicle. It really sucks if something new is around the corner and you have to get something else because you need a new vehicle to drive when your lease is up.

Also, there's a tremendous amount of satisfaction in paying cash for a vehicle and driving it payment free for as many years as you choose.

On the flip side, you are protected from some depreciation issues when you lease a car (the depreciation is locked in at the front end) and as others said, if the car has issues, has been wrecked, is a lemon, etc, then you can hand the keys back at lease end and walk away.

My wife's current car is leased for 3 years and has 12 months left on the lease. The car has had zero maintenance issues and is perfect for her, so we will probably buy it out at the end of the lease. I am considering doing something similar with my S4 purchase, although Audi depreciation makes it a tough pill to swallow.
Couple of points. If you actually expect to buy the car at lease end, you are better off buying it initially. Secondly, if you buy it initially and you don't like the car or it has issues, you're stuck with it. Or you will take a hit trading it.One of the many reasons that I am going to lease an S4 rather than another 335i is that, as you mentioned, there is a new model around the corner. I could buy my car and then trade it in, but that is not usually a good way to do it.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jj o'malley
My lease was up last August and the inspection process took about 10 minutes.

The inspector came out, looked inside the car, around the car and had me start the car. I had a number of relatively minor scratches and dings from parking lots and highway driving. I even had some curb rash on three of the wheels. No problems, questions or hassles.

I turned in a Land Rover LR3 a few months before that and it was the same. Again, there were some scratches and dings, but the whole process took 10 minutes with no hassle.

I have heard horror stories from other friends though about their lease turn-ins, so YMMV.
I bet the horror stories involved leasing from a bank or leasing company rather then from the manufacturer's financial arm.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by canyoncarver
I am still debating this myself. I've leased cars for myself and my wife and for the past 10 years have paid cash for my two A4s.

For me, the big downside with leasing is that when the lease is up, it is UP. Time to get a new vehicle. It really sucks if something new is around the corner and you have to get something else because you need a new vehicle to drive when your lease is up.
You can easily extend your lease without any hassles. My brother just did this for his 335i coupe because it is up in a few months before the 335iS comes out.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zillmc
You can easily extend your lease without any hassles. My brother just did this for his 335i coupe because it is up in a few months before the 335iS comes out.
It depends. The lease company may try to gouge you with a higher rate.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've always leased cars other than my first two (young, cars were sub $5,000). Leasing is great for all the reasons listed already. I'm starting to re-consider... and here is why. About 15 months ago, I decided to lease a new car for my Ol'Lady. We decided on a ML320 Diesel because we liked the car and MB was giving some pretty special deals (never seen anything like it prior or since then). We agreed on a lease and out of curiosity I asked the finance manager to convert the "money factor" into an APR. She came up with something around 9%, which I found to be high for a new car. I found out that I can buy the car for about $100 more per month on a 5 year finance. That was a no brainer for me. My current car (Cayman) is coming of a lease and I'm pretty sure with the S4, I will buy.

Here is the thing: not all cars, even within the same manufacturer, lease the same. I remember about 8 years back, an A4 was about $420 to lease (give or take). That same dealer (which I like and respect) was quoting me over $550 for an A3. I very much doubt that the S4 is even close to competitive compared to financing. I could be wrong but the S4 is a small volume (almost specialty vehicle) and leasing is too expensive from my experience. Leasing is the way to go if you're buying another 3 series, C class, A4 and the like. Once you step up to very low volume cars like the S4, I think financing is the way to go. One more thing: if you choose to finance, it's a good idea to consider gap insurance (very cheap) to cover and salvage damage you might incur during ownership. Leases have this already build in to the payments.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you can take the money you'd otherwise pay in cash and put it to work (i.e. invest it) it makes sense to lease a depreciating asset.

Or, as they say, if it floats, flies, or f**ks, rent it.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Almost all lease return companies and those who deal in used cars have an army of " minor dings/chips/curb rash" guys who make all those things " go away " on any returned car in a blink of the eye . Of course , many of the fixes, such as paint chips /wheel curb rash are done quick and cheap and not always properly as you would insist if it were your own car , but it will last long enough to move the metal to the next sucke....I mean ... buyer on the lot .
Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bumpjump
If you can take the money you'd otherwise pay in cash and put it to work (i.e. invest it) it makes sense to lease a depreciating asset.

Or, as they say, if it floats, flies, or f**ks, rent it.
X2!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Be Honest...

Be honest...leasing is the only way to drive the newest and shiniest and most advanced car every 3 years (give or take)!

Some general statements...
Advantages:
1. see above
2. lower monthly payments
3. almost always, the "value" of the car at the end of the lease is much higher than it's true market(read wholesale)value. So the leasing company eats the difference.
4. tax write off for some
5. in some cases you can negotiate to buy the car at a lower price than the amount determined at the signing of the lease....so it MAY cost less overall than buying it new (many variables however)

Disadvantages:
1. you don't own the car
2. FORGET about getting out of MOST leases early cause you will be in BIG time negative equity.
3. FEAR of getting gauged for wear and tear when you turn it in....but this has never happened to me after several leases.

But always remember to be honest! You really want a new car every 3 years don't you?!?

Quick Reply: pitfalls of leasing