S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: What transmission did you get
6 speed manual
44.40%
That trick automatic
51.29%
I don't own or didn't order a B8 S4
4.31%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Is your B8 S4 manual or auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to start a flame war or anything.

I chose this car specially because it's one of the few modern vehicles you can get a manual tranny in. I like saving a couple grand, I like saving the weight, I like that a manual will last longer, and I like that it has less drivetrain loss (more power to the wheels).

That said, I realize the dealer orders mostly automatics, therefore they end up on the lot, therefore people buy them. He took me for a ride in one. It did sound pretty amazing, the way it blips the downshifts. By far one of the coolest automatics I've seen.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts
Default AMG transmission has P N R D+/-, plus S/W switch

The AMG transmission has P R N D+/-, plus S/W switch and it is an automatic, that can be operated manually.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
Not trying to start a flame war or anything.

I chose this car specially because it's one of the few modern vehicles you can get a manual tranny in. I like saving a couple grand, I like saving the weight, I like that a manual will last longer, and I like that it has less drivetrain loss (more power to the wheels).

That said, I realize the dealer orders mostly automatics, therefore they end up on the lot, therefore people buy them. He took me for a ride in one. It did sound pretty amazing, the way it blips the downshifts. By far one of the coolest automatics I've seen.
No problem, Westwest. I think it's great that Audi still offers the 6MT. I've probably become lazy nowadays, too, especially with traffic around here in the NY area. A bonus is that my wife can drive the S-tronic, too.

By the way, the S-tronic has no more drivetrain losses than the 6MT. The clutches work just like a manual. There's no torque conversion like on an automatic. So the 6MT and S-tronic have the same power to the ground.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm the kind of person that thinks these cars shouldn't come with an automatic, at least for the first year. I'm curious how many people actually order the auto.
Why does it matter if multiple transmissions are available?

I'm a diehard 6MT fan, but I don't think it makes any difference if they offer a car with an automatic transmission or a dual-clutch automated manual. It's simple really, just don't buy it. I think that dual-clutch technology is great, and superior in many ways..but I personally prefer being involved in shifting Not to mention that the performance differences are negligible.

As for whether DSG is an automatic, semi-manual, automated manual, or manual, that's widely up to opinion and interpretation.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nal13
This is from the automotive dictionary, the first hit if you type those terms in google http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/MA.HTM

Manual Transmission
(MT or M/T) A Transmission system in which gears are selected by the Driver by means of a hand-operated Gearshift and a foot-operated Clutch. In a Motorcycle the Clutch is hand-operated and the gearshift is foot-operated. Contrasts with an Automatic transmission. Also called a standard transmission.

No foot clutch = automatic. Not a opinion. Actually a fact. The S tronic is great very tech savy tranny, and I understand why people would buy it. Probably smoother and i believe it matches up shifts and downshifts. But no foot clutch = no manual.
From your same dictionary:

http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/AU.HTM

Automatic transmission
A mechanism of the Drivetrain which takes the power from the engine and transfers it to the driveshaft or wheels.
Without using a clutch, it uses a torque converter and fluid coupler to change the gear ratio.
•It automatically effects gear changes to meet varying road and load conditions.
•Gear changing is done through a series of oil operated Clutches and Bands.
I'm not saying it a manual. What I am saying is that it is not an automatic.

1) It has a clutch, 2 of them actually

2) DSG lacks the afrementioned torque converter and fluid coupler. It uses wet clutch plates.

3) DSG has no bands. It uses twin clutched with the gears split between 2 shafts, one inside the other.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm the kind of person that thinks these cars shouldn't come with an automatic, at least for the first year. I'm curious how many people actually order the auto.
LOL This is a 4DOOR SEDAN not some sports car. It is also meant as a DD so I don't understand why you think that this car should only come in a manual. Some of you guys need to realize that this is meant to be atmost a GT car not a sports car. If Ferrari's and F1 cars eliminated the clutch with the left foot than that is good enough for me. Learn to adapt. I do have a manual A4 and I find it fun also but if you live in a big city with lots of traffic jams than I would rather have the S-Tronic. I think manual transmissions should be left to real sports cars like a P-car.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Drive what you like and be happy that it is offered in both. I don't understand why manual lovers always knock on people who prefer auto. Maybe because the auto industry is focusing its enhancements on auto technology. Perhaps the stick drivers would be happier if they offered a 7 or 8 speed manual so they can shift all day until their arms fall off.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 6MT in my S4. I had a S-Tronic in my TT. I thought i would like going back to the 6MT, but to be honest now that i dont have the S-Tronic anymore, i miss it...
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Also, wouldn't "true" drivers actually scoff at the S4 with all of it's technological aids? A "real" driver would take a car with no technical aids and truly shine, like taking an old-school rear-drive Toyota AE86 and drift circles around everyone.
Call Bernie and tell him that all F1 drivers are not "true" drivers, because they don't drive a manual car anymore. While I understand the pleasure of rowing my own gears (I love manual gearboxes and most of my cars were manuals), please don't say that one is not a real driver because he chose a car with more advanced technology. Sequential manuals are the choice for the newest and fastest sports cars and exotics and whether you like it or not, a standard gearbox is becoming a thing of the past.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it makes sense for Audi to have two types of transmissions for this wonderful car - as someone mentioned earlier, the market to sell manual cars is shrinking, and Audi needs to capture any willing paying customer for this car.

So I think to each his own - but IMHO, chicks dig sticks

Quick Reply: Poll: Is your B8 S4 manual or auto