S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: What transmission did you get
6 speed manual
44.40%
That trick automatic
51.29%
I don't own or didn't order a B8 S4
4.31%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Is your B8 S4 manual or auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the transmission has a mode that you do not have to shift while driving, it is an automatic transmission in my book. If you always have to shift, it is a manual transmission. Certainly most auto transmissions have a manual mode though.

Bruce
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

We just had this argument like 2 months ago. Who cares what it's called? It is what it is.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
We just had this argument like 2 months ago. Who cares what it's called? It is what it is.
Thank you
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder why pilots don't complain about being unable to start their planes manually anymore (hand on propellor)?

Regardless, in the poll S-Tronic outnumber manual rowers almost 2-1!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drrick89
Regardless, in the poll S-Tronic outnumber manual rowers almost 2-1!
I have no problem with people buying the S-Tronic (why should I?), but the percentage of people on this (enthusiast) forum that have chosen it makes me a little worried that Audi will stop offering the manual transmission altogether one day. All I have to say is that until I'm ready to join the AARP, I expect to buy cars with manual transmissions, so I'll buy from whoever's making them.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by koobah
Call Bernie and tell him that all F1 drivers are not "true" drivers, because they don't drive a manual car anymore. While I understand the pleasure of rowing my own gears (I love manual gearboxes and most of my cars were manuals), please don't say that one is not a real driver because he chose a car with more advanced technology. Sequential manuals are the choice for the newest and fastest sports cars and exotics and whether you like it or not, a standard gearbox is becoming a thing of the past.
I think the DSG used in $19k VW's is not comparable to the $3000 DTG transmission option from the BMW M3. It's def a cool tranny, but not in the same league.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

6spd manual all the way for me.... I just like the deliberateness of the shifts where as with the paddles..... well i feel like i am playing with a woman with silicon..... it just isn't real....
Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow... almost 60% have S-Tronic.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
Call Bernie and tell him that all F1 drivers are not "true" drivers, because they don't drive a manual car anymore. While I understand the pleasure of rowing my own gears (I love manual gearboxes and most of my cars were manuals), please don't say that one is not a real driver because he chose a car with more advanced technology. Sequential manuals are the choice for the newest and fastest sports cars and exotics and whether you like it or not, a standard gearbox is becoming a thing of the past.
I was being sarcastic... I drive an S-Tronic and like advanced technology. Hehe.

What I was talking about is how anyone can call anyone not a true driver for any reason that doesn't really make any sense.

Last edited by McGriddle; 06-12-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're going to find this average result with most cars in the U.S. Automatic transmission will have better resale value compared to manual due to its demand. If you go to Europe or other countries, it's the opposite. Go try and rent a car in Europe and see if you can find an automatic. You actually have to pay more for one. I'm talking about cars and automatic trans in general.

7-speed S-Tronic vs. 6 MT

Almost all new cars today are driven by computers and drive-by-wire. New advancement in technology make our cars perform better and you just have to accept the fact that you can't make a car better without technological aids. How can you make a manual transmission better? Feel and throw perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that even the best driver has a limit on how fast they can actually shift gears. The S-Tronic / DSG transmission can change gears faster than you can blink, literally in milliseconds and is guaranteed to never miss a shift, always engaged, and provide consistent power delivery. It basically makes you a better driver whereas with a manual, you have to be a very skilled driver to hit everything just right, but no human is perfect. This is why race cars use them to have every possible edge and minimize human error.

We're not comparing 6MT with a conventional auto here but with the 7-speed s-tronic. This is the same 7-speed s-tronic in the new RS5 and is the same PDK transmission in the Porsche 911.

If you want to have full control of your transmission, save money, and perhaps save your manhood and machismo ego, then by all means go drive a 6MT. Stop putting down those who choose to go with DSG. Don't put us in the same category as conventional autos as many of us were once 6MT drivers who sees the benefit of modern technology.

Quick Reply: Poll: Is your B8 S4 manual or auto