S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Possible Oil Sensor Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree too much oil is very harmful. I don't trust not having a dip stick. I check my oil levels weekly. My GTI sucks it back like cold Coca Cola on a hot summer day. Therefore I buy it in the large jug. My S4 has 25,000 km, so far no oil has been added between my oil changes. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
agree too much oil is very harmful. I don't trust not having a dip stick. I check my oil levels weekly. My GTI sucks it back like cold Coca Cola on a hot summer day. Therefore I buy it in the large jug. My S4 has 25,000 km, so far no oil has been added between my oil changes. Good luck.

Have you considered an after market "catch can" for your 20. turbo excessive oil usage?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Partial thread hijack, but related to oil level sensing/indication:

Once or twice a week, randomly as I'm driving along, my MFD will switch to an oil level display - it's NOT the red display you get when checking the level via MMI - it's all-white text and graphic, but with a similar min-max bar - the level shows at max, and there's no error or instruction.

This appears for 2-3 seconds and then goes away. It can happen at any time, regardless of where/how I'm driving, what mode the MMI is in, etc. . . . has anyone else seen this?
Construct: my car did this once about 2 weeks ago. About 45 minutes into a drive the middle display randomly changed over to a cool little oil level display (all white text and graphic) then went back to the normal display. It wasn't a warning (everying was normal). Not sure why that happened, but mines only done it that one time.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

So took the car in this morning for the oil issue and also a couple other things (2 tsbs one for clutch one forengine shuddering and also for a couple of rattles since I'm almost at 12k miles).

Turns out it was as NWS4GUY thought, broken hood sensor causing it. The tech said the oil level was fine and not overfilled even with the 2 quarts I put in. they will do more road testing to be sure tomorrow when they test the clutch a well.

Fortunately it doesn't look like a harmed the car, thx all for the feedback
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zillmc
So took the car in this morning for the oil issue and also a couple other things (2 tsbs one for clutch one forengine shuddering and also for a couple of rattles since I'm almost at 12k miles).

Turns out it was as NWS4GUY thought, broken hood sensor causing it. The tech said the oil level was fine and not overfilled even with the 2 quarts I put in. they will do more road testing to be sure tomorrow when they test the clutch a well.

Good deal, glad you didn't overfill and they isolated the issue to the faulty hood sensor.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zillmc

Hey Zill: what's the TSB for the clutch?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. Given zillmc's root cause, maybe this is also correllated w/ open hood somehow. Maybe it displays after the engine is up to temp, rather than immediately? I have had the hood open quite a bit lately to make sure my dodgy intake hasn't imploded yet . . . Anyhow, glad I'm not just imagining it.

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
Construct: my car did this once about 2 weeks ago. About 45 minutes into a drive the middle display randomly changed over to a cool little oil level display (all white text and graphic) then went back to the normal display. It wasn't a warning (everying was normal). Not sure why that happened, but mines only done it that one time.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tsb for the clutch is 2022990/1, feels nice and doesn't make noise anymore
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default TSB for Engine Shudder

Mine idles pretty rough and always has, TSB??
Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
I've had this happen once to me while I was driving on the highway. Only happened once when the car was only a few weeks old and hasn't done it since.

Quick Reply: Possible Oil Sensor Failure?