S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Possible Special Order - Stripped-Down B8.5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clau
The Audi MMI comes with parking assistance system and rear view camera. This could be a useful feature. I need the MMI because my wife must have the camera feature to help her park the car.
That's a really good point. I'd be much more inclined to that justification if the front had sensors as well...
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by isles1
I would not consider without NAV stripped down. Your list of options is quite extensive, and is going to yield a sticker and sales price well over $50K. Quartz and Daytona are customer colors in the US and will be a $2500 option; Monsoon is $475.

Have you sat in a car with Alcantara and the Nappa? Nappa is more popular, but I'd try out both before dropping $1,250 on a higher grade of leather.

Hard to justify $3,050 for NAV that many complain is subpar; but some sware by the traffic updates. 95% of the time, I know where I'm going; for the 5% I do not, we have an iPhone and a portable GPS unit.

I'd also suggest that that you test drive a car with and without ADS. I'm happy with the ride without multiple suspension setting to toggle between.

The sport diff is a must; the consensus is that the B&O sound upgrade is a bargain.

You can look at my special order configuration in my signature. I am very happy with my decision.
I should have mentioned $50k is the net cost I'm looking to beat after having sold the other Audi in my signature. I figure it's probably worth between $8k or so on a trade.

I've tested both the B8 and B8.5 with regular and ADS suspension; ADS seems to ride a lot like the old RS6. Compliant and floaty over broken pavement, but corners flat. So I'm definately sold on that option (as well as the sport diff).

Nappa feels worth it over regular leather, and while I do like the extra grip of Alcantara, some people have said it wrinkles pants(?).

Always felt NAV was a waste because technology like this obsoletes itself, and I have a great 4G phone/hotspot/Nav already. Like you, (however much my passengers disagree), I know where I'm going at least 95% of the time

Admittedly, $2000 bucks is a lot for paint...

Hard to make these choices!

Last edited by Cloudripper; 03-27-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by StasisS4
It also gives you the Individual setting for customizing your drive select controls, higher resolution screen, different screen between your tach and speedo.
Forgive my ignorance on this, but does the 'regular' version of drive select just have two settings for everything (ie choose ALL comfort or dynamic)?

I actually like the old school red display, but that's just me I guess
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by isles1
You are going to get a lot of opinions on the NAV and differences in the MMI with NAV versus without it. Only you know how much you will use and value these functions, such as the backup camera, configuring "individual" drive select settings, and the subtle differences in the MMI screen and screen between Tach and Speedometer.

On a 36 month lease, the NAV option will add about $45 to the monthly payment. On a purchase, it simply adds approx. $3,050 to the cost of the car.
I know, I know I'm trying to draw the line somewhere...Tell me why I shouldn't get one fully loaded!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cloudripper
I know, I know I'm trying to draw the line somewhere...Tell me why I shouldn't get one fully loaded!
You should buy a fully loaded used one!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's a really good point. I'd be much more inclined to that justification if the front had sensors as well...
MMI's parking assistance system emits warning beeps whenever the car is too close to an obstacle. There are sensors in both the front and rear bumper. This is useful to my wife whenever she needs to park the car into a tight spot. The rear view camera lets you see what is behind the car from the MMI screen. She relies heavily on the camera every time when she needs to back up to a parking. In my situation MMI is a necessity as opposed to something nice to have.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgive my ignorance on this, but does the 'regular' version of drive select just have two settings for everything (ie choose ALL comfort or dynamic)?

I actually like the old school red display, but that's just me I guess
I like the old red display too, but not as much as the high resolution color.

Both the Sports Diff and the full ADS packages give you the three options of (Comfort, Auto and Dynamic). However without the Navigation it does not let you change individual components. For example if you get the full ADS without navigation you have to set everything (Throttle, Steering, Suspension, Shift Speed (S-tronic only), Engine sound, Sports Differential) at the same time to Dynamic, Auto or Comfort.

With Navigation you get an "Individual Setting" that lets you pick and choose how you want each component to react through the MMI screen.

Side note: I had a navigation system in my 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B, and it was a complete P.O.S. I hardly used it for anything. I also have a navigation system in my Toyota Sequoia which is also a P.O.S. I had no intention of getting Navigation in my S4, but in Canada it comes standard with the premium models for 2013 so I got it by default. After having it I really like it and am very glad I went with it. I still don't use it to find things very often but the map looks great, and the MMI is awesome. I'm not 100% sure but I also think that you need Nav for the Bluetooth music to work. Either way get it, you are already spending a boat load on a Luxury Sedan, you may as well Spec it accordingly.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by StasisS4
I'm not 100% sure but I also think that you need Nav for the Bluetooth music to work.
That is correct, it's another reason why I bit the bullet and got the MMI/NAV package on mine too. You get BT phone without it, but BT audio has to have NAV/MMI.

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 03-26-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
That is correct, it's another reason why I bit the bullet and got the MMI/NAV package on mine too. You get BT phone without it, but BT audio has to have NAV/MMI.
Oh man, I'm so glad you mentioned that...that means you can play music over BT? I wrongly assumed basic BT already did that.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Oh man, I'm so glad you mentioned that...that means you can play music over BT? I wrongly assumed basic BT already did that.
Correct, basic BT works for phone, but not audio media. It seems insane, but it's actually two different hardware devices in both your phone and the car.

Quick Reply: Possible Special Order - Stripped-Down B8.5?