S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Prestige - think I want to drop the 19's before I take delivery

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troposphere
Agreed,
19's are much better in all respects.
that is just patently false

do they look better? maybe but that is subjective

do they perform better? I'd bet they are worse in nearly every measurable performance area except maybe skid-pad where the larger contact patch & stiffer sidewall should help

unsprung weight is bad, unsprung rotational weight is even worse

Last edited by StumpJumper; 02-04-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Handling and road/steering feel may be subjective, but I notice a difference.

Can it be measured? Who cares, it just makes driving more fun.

Any difference in unsprung weight is not noticeable, at least to me.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I remember an early review stating the 18s were perfect and the 19s were a little harsh. (inside line?)

The 18s seem more practical, and in a snowy area you could have one set of rims and rotate tires instead of having a summer/winter set of rims.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by StumpJumper
any thoughts on this? the roads here are terrible and IMHO they offer no performance increase... heck it's probably a decrease since they should be heavier than the 18's and there's no question that the ride will be worse

so I'm thinking about either asking the dealer if they want to swap with a premium plus or putting them up for sale and buying some aftermarket 18's

any thoughts on this? I did not get drive select, I don't want another adjustable suspension in my garage
The 19" look great and if you're coming from BMW don't worry they are 1" bigger in tire diameter. Don't worry about the weight - the brake rotors are made of iron the the calipers steel. Components other than wheels+tires make up 60% of the unsprung weight.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by westwest888
The 19" look great and if you're coming from BMW don't worry they are 1" bigger in tire diameter. Don't worry about the weight - the brake rotors are made of iron the the calipers steel. Components other than wheels+tires make up 60% of the unsprung weight.
Don't worry about weight? He wants performance.

Comparing the chassis or unsprung weight to the rotating mass in the wheels/tires is absurd. They're not even remotely similar, as far as an effect on the car goes. Changing to light weight rotors will have another big effect on this car. Changing brake calipers - almost none. Anyway, if the attitude is 'don't bother because you can only change a small portion of the unsprung weight'...why would anyone ever mod the car? Don't bother with a tune...you're only going to gain 7%. Don't bother with a de-cat. You're only going to gain 3.5%. All these little changes add up to a very serious impact on the car. Some would say a complete transformation. Same is true for rotating weight. When you guys have JHM LW flywheel + LW rotors + LWtires/wheels on a B8, to go along with the obvious power mods like tune + full exhaust, you'll see another level of awesome performance from these cars.

Stock wheels are around 30lbs + 27 lb Dunlops in many casse. That's 57 lbs per corner. Getting into some 21 lb wheels and 24 lb Michelin Pilot Super Sports will cut 48 lbs rotating mass off the car...and it's rotating quite a ways away from the hub. It will feel like shedding over a couple hundred pounds.

p.s. the two fastest B8 S4s in the world are primetime and 81bear...and both achieved their fast times with lw wheels to compliment their other mods. A boatload of other guys can't get close to them. Why? because they say 'don't bother' to the little things.

Last edited by sakimano; 02-09-2012 at 05:40 AM.