S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Punctured Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Punctured Radiator

Great forum... I have read for a while, but never posted until now. I need help!

I have a 2010 S4.... It is the best car i have ever owned.

It has 43000 miles.

I was driving down the interstate today after lunch when the coolant warning light came on and said to turn off the car immediately. I was two exits from work, so I got off and parked in my work parking garage. I immediately noticed the sickly sweet smell of burning coolant upon getting out and noticed coolant leaking on the ground. Oh no!!!!!

I called my local Audi service guy and he said to call Audi roadside assistance and have them get a flatbed and haul it back to the dealership so they can look at it. The flatbed showed up in 30 mins. We rolled the car in neutral out of the garage and away my lovely S4 went to the dealership.

An hour later, my service guy calls and says there is a puncture in the radiator. He says there must have been some kind of impact. Yet, i ran into nothing and heard nothing. He also said the cost of the radiator is $826 installed.

Does this make sense? Have other people had this happen without seeing or hearing anything? I have asked the service guy to show me the puncture in the radiator when they replace it. Has anyone here had a similar experience? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 PM

This is a problem a number of folks here have encountered. The sticky at the top of the forum lists this preventive fix, and is something you'll want to do before it happens again ...

The DIY Protection Screen thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2784308
Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tpwoofs
An hour later, my service guy calls and says there is a puncture in the radiator. He says there must have been some kind of impact. Yet, i ran into nothing and heard nothing. He also said the cost of the radiator is $826 installed.
He meant to say.......intercooler radiator.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Common problem. Happened to me about 2 yrs ago. Dealer charged me $450 to replace. That's $350 less than you dealer wants. Bend over! I did the DIY screen protector and it was easy. Recommend you do the same. BTW, mine happened on PA turnpike. No idea that anything hit the car. But obviously it was caused by a stone or something similar that hit the IC radiator

Last edited by DrGP; 07-28-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tpwoofs
....I was driving down the interstate today after lunch when the coolant warning light came on and said to turn off the car immediately. I was two exits from work, so I got off and parked in my work parking garage. I immediately noticed the sickly sweet smell of burning coolant upon getting out and noticed coolant leaking on the ground. Oh no!...Has anyone here had a similar experience? Thanks in advance.
Happened to me, too, but I was close enough to a dealer to be able to drive it over there. It was covered under my insurance's "comprehensive" coverage, and Audi automatically installed the (now-standard) protective screen when they replaced it.

My suggestion would be to contact your insurance agent. Since this is a comprehensive claim, it won't affect your rates.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Happened to me, too, but I was close enough to a dealer to be able to drive it over there. It was covered under my insurance's "comprehensive" coverage, and Audi automatically installed the (now-standard) protective screen when they replaced it.

My suggestion would be to contact your insurance agent. Since this is a comprehensive claim, it won't affect your rates.
I was under the impression that the protective screen is still not standard on the S4 but is on the A6/A7. But I'll find out for sure in another 3 weeks.