S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Question for the key memory thing. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocker55
OK...so, what are the memory buttons on the door for? If you the car/key fob remembers your last setting (after this function is turned on vis MMI) then what's left for the memory buttons to do?

Do the memory buttons remember favorite radio stations, climate settings, mirror settings, etc etc?

Thanks guy...
The memory buttons on the door are associated with a person and are handy if the wrong settings are accidentally stored on a key. Say for instance someone else drives your car with your key and then store their settings to the key when locking the car upon exiting. The next time you go to use the car all you have to do is hit whatever button on the door to get your settings back and then lock the car when finished driving to store them back on your key.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sworksone
The memory buttons on the door are associated with a person and are handy if the wrong settings are accidentally stored on a key. Say for instance someone else drives your car with your key and then store their settings to the key when locking the car upon exiting. The next time you go to use the car all you have to do is hit whatever button on the door to get your settings back and then lock the car when finished driving to store them back on your key.
Great info...very smart. I like this approach much better than what Infiniti does. They try to link a specific key fob to a driver via their memory system. Limiting you to 2 drivers...or spend ~$250 on another key fob.

The Audi system is just much more flexible and better engineered. Love it.

Thanx...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK...so, what are the memory buttons on the door for? If you the car/key fob remembers your last setting (after this function is turned on vis MMI) then what's left for the memory buttons to do?

Do the memory buttons remember favorite radio stations, climate settings, mirror settings, etc etc?

Thanks guy...
The memory buttons are for when you give your key to someone else, i.e. the service department. If they move your seat and lock the doors, you can use the memory buttons to get your seat and mirrors back to where you had them set to. I'm not sure about the radio stations and climate settings. I know the key does remember them if it is turned on in the MMI.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guy...
Let's say you have the memory set properly to #1 and hand the key over to a friend for a ride. No worry even if he locks the door. When you go to drive the car simply unlock the car press and hold the number 1 setting and you are back in business.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'm still confused

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
The keys remember the settings PER key. Locking the car with one key, makes that key remember the settings. Unlocking it with that key restores settings that were stored when that key locked the car. If she uses your key it will do this. Give her the spare.
There are two keys and two buttons on the door. Does each key store the settings for both door buttons? If I unlock the door with my key, does the car apply my settings immediately, after starting the car, or only after pressing one of the door buttons?

I've read the manual and I still am unclear on this.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You let your girlfriend drive your car?

Originally Posted by Tg912
Ok my car just hit the 1500 miles mark> I drive it the most, but when my girlfriend wants to drive it the seats, mirrors and just about every option i put for myself, she changes it for her. It is very annoying to put everything back into to my position. So, I was wondering even though i dont have the comfort access settings but i do have two keys. Does 1 key save settings for each driver?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Muray
You let your girlfriend drive your car?
lol... concur...
Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Avant_to_remember
There are two keys and two buttons on the door. Does each key store the settings for both door buttons? If I unlock the door with my key, does the car apply my settings immediately, after starting the car, or only after pressing one of the door buttons?

I've read the manual and I still am unclear on this.
The buttons on the door and totally seperate from the keys.

Think of the buttons as a permanent setting holder, unless someone purposely changes the memory on these using the Set button. These are what you can use to restore your settings if you let someone borrow YOUR key.

Here is how the keys work. Whenever the doors are LOCKED, the key remembers where the seats, mirrors, etc are. EVERY time it's locked with that key - so if they don't change it still logs those settings and overwrites whatever was there the last time it locked the car. When it unlocks the car, it tells the car the settings for when it last locked the car, and to restore those.

This is why you need to use YOUR key when you drive. Likewise, if your girlfriend/wife has her key on her and unlocks the car for you but you are driving, it will set things to whatever it last was when SHE locked the car with HER key. You will need to unlock the car a second time to get your settings there. Also if you lock the car with your key and she has been driving it with her settings, you just saved her settings to your key.

This is why the memory buttons exist - to restore what you want the key to remember when you lock the car the next time.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That helps but...

NWS4Guy,
Thanks, that helps a lot; but I am still unclear on a couple of things. Does the car restore my settings when I unlock the car, when I start the engine, or ?
So far I haven't been able to confirm that car sets itself on unlocking after turning on the setting for key memory in the MMI.
Also, the manual says the seat, the steering wheel, side mirrors, individual drive select settings, and radio preferences are all stored in the key. I suppose the seat memory buttons don't store all those? And can the car really adjust the steering wheel position? The manual latch mechanism under the steering column doesn't seem to be something the car could open and close again by itself.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let me make sure I'm still understanding properly too - does the premium plus have memory keys? I know it doesn't have memory seats, but, now this has has me curious... Side note, I'm pretty annoyed a 50k plus 2010 car doesn't have memory seats standard, its the ONE thing I want from the Prestige package.

Quick Reply: Question for the key memory thing. Please help.