S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Radio comes on every time I start the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Comso
Does your car remember that it was muted when you turn it on?
I'm not sure, and dont have the car right now (european delivery). I know that as long as the iPod was left connected it remembered where it was in what song and playlist (i never listen to radio, really). But im not sure if it remembered mute :-/
Old 01-14-2010, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work nights, so I usually lower my volume when I enter my neighborhood.
I then turn it down to almost no sound manually when I'm parking... the car remembers the volume level the next day.

Tonight when I arrived @ work, I turned the radio off - I guess I'll see if it remembers that when I start the car after my shift @ work.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not sure but I think you can just turn the volume all the way down and it will stay there when you restart the car. I remember having to turn the volume up sometimes after starting my car to hear anything.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by giuntaja
I'm not sure but I think you can just turn the volume all the way down and it will stay there when you restart the car. I remember having to turn the volume up sometimes after starting my car to hear anything.
This is completely opposite for me. I turn the volume near off when I get in my neighborhood and when i start the car each morning its way louder than it was when I pulled in the night before.

I will say that the radio/sound/media anomalies were the first thing I noticed in this car that weren't near perfect, besides the first 1k miles of squealing brakes that made you want to crawl into a corner and die each stop light.

It forgets to remember a lot of things, shuffle, volume, map mode, last sport diff/ads setting, etc. I wonder if that could be remedied with a future software update?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zillmc
This is completely opposite for me. I turn the volume near off when I get in my neighborhood and when i start the car each morning its way louder than it was when I pulled in the night before.

I will say that the radio/sound/media anomalies were the first thing I noticed in this car that weren't near perfect, besides the first 1k miles of squealing brakes that made you want to crawl into a corner and die each stop light.

It forgets to remember a lot of things, shuffle, volume, map mode, last sport diff/ads setting, etc. I wonder if that could be remedied with a future software update?
I'll see if I can come up with anything tomorrow morning. I'll let you know.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is, I don't always leave the radio on in my car. This means I have to include shutting the radio off as part of starting the car.

Seriously ... there has to be more to this.

The radio is off when I shut off the car - it should still be off when I turn the car back on.

On my 335i, there was no "off" setting for the radio, just mute. At least it remembered that it was on mute when I turned the car back on.
Does your car remember that it was muted when you turn it on?
IIRC, it does not stay in mute when you restart the car. It will be on the "On" setting unless you shut off the whole MMI system all together.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi
IIRC, it does not stay in mute when you restart the car. It will be on the "On" setting unless you shut off the whole MMI system all together.
Is this an MMI 3G thing, or older MMI too?

Annoying.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Annoying.
I don't know.

Maybe there is a way to Vag-Com this out.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 2G MMI and if I mute the radio before turning off the car it will remain muted when I next start the car. I just tested this last night to be sure. I muted the radio when I got home from work, and it was muted when I started the car this morning.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Annoying.

It was more annoying on my 2007 3.2 A4 as the volume always went back to regular volume. On my 2010 S4, it comes back on a lot quieter and the mute button is easier to reach near the center console shifter. Still a pain, but not quite as bad.

Quick Reply: Radio comes on every time I start the car?