S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Rattles already???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rattles already???

Hi all,

I'm approaching the 2-week mark since taking delivery of my factory order. First off, gotta say, LOVE the car. No major issues, but I've started to hear some interior rattles here and there; namely, on the driver's door or driver's side somewhere near the B-pillar (haven't isolated the exact location yet), and 1-2 spots on the silver plastic trim around the instrument cluster (in particular, the silver plastic just below the MMI screen). No noticeable noises on smooth roads, but when it gets a little rough, or on highways with bumpy seams, the rattles/ticks start up -- the driver's door has more of a rattle, the silver plastic has more of a tick.

This is a bit surprising in that I've babied the car so far (i.e., breaking in slowly, avoiding potholes, handling the interior with kid gloves). I have less than 500 miles on the car, and started hearing the door rattle almost from the get-go. FWIW, running 19s with Dunlops.

I realize some of you have several thousand miles and no issues at all, but anyone else have these kinds of noises early on? Wondering if the noises are likely to get worse over time, or go away (or come and go)? Also wondering what if anything to do about them?

I can make the tick below the MMI screen go away by holding my finger to the plastic, but wouldn't exactly call that a fix. I bet my dealer would though.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issues here! Started after 500 miles. Took it to the dealer about the "ticking" sound below the MMI and they said that they have some tape for these issues. Didn't work...figured that if they take the dash apart trying to find the problem that more rattles would start.

Had an 2008 R32 and had rattles/ticks. Everytime I thought I fixed it another would show up!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ronnirons
Same issues here! Started after 500 miles. Took it to the dealer about the "ticking" sound below the MMI and they said that they have some tape for these issues. Didn't work...figured that if they take the dash apart trying to find the problem that more rattles would start.

Had an 2008 R32 and had rattles/ticks. Everytime I thought I fixed it another would show up!
Sorry to hear you have this too -- and sorry the tape didn't work. Also concerned about making these things worse by trying the fix them, especially if they might go away on their own. (Do they ever? Fingers crossed.)

Just curious, how many miles do you have now? Has the "ticking" worsened or improved at all since it started?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a rattle on the front passenger side door. I started a thread about it last week and was informed by another poster it may be the B&0 speaker. I'm just waiting till my 5k checkup to have it looked it.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aj25
I have a rattle on the front passenger side door. I started a thread about it last week and was informed by another poster it may be the B&0 speaker. I'm just waiting till my 5k checkup to have it looked it.
Thanks. I saw your post when I searched for "rattle". Don't think my rattle is from the speaker though. When driving/facing forward, the rattle is just behind me to my left, and it's high up -- either just below/at/above ear level. Again, not yet sure if it's coming from the door or somewhere on the B-pillar (maybe even the seatbelt mechanism). Definitely plan to isolate it.

Appreciate your reply...
Old 05-03-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Smith837
Sorry to hear you have this too -- and sorry the tape didn't work. Also concerned about making these things worse by trying the fix them, especially if they might go away on their own. (Do they ever? Fingers crossed.)

Just curious, how many miles do you have now? Has the "ticking" worsened or improved at all since it started?
I have 3200 miles now and its been a week since the dealer tried to fix the problem. The "ticking" is still there but has not gotten worse...waiting for the next rattle issue. Always happens!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ronnirons
I have 3200 miles now and its been a week since the dealer tried to fix the problem. The "ticking" is still there but has not gotten worse...waiting for the next rattle issue. Always happens!
Well I guess that's the silver lining, I mean, silver plastic for ya.

Wonder if replacing the plastic piece altogether would be a better fix. (Curious whether the cause is the part design itself, material properties, or how the part is attached to the dash.)

Also, wondering why some cars have this "tick" and other don't? I realize all cars have build differences, different "journeys" to the dealer, different owners/drivers, different climates, roads, etc., but the fact that this is happening on new cars suggests a design or manufacturing flaw.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have both these rattles as well. When i took mine in they said one of the clamps around the MMI screen was loose and they adjusted it which helped. The driver side door rattle is there but its slight, the MMI one was relaly bad but its much better now.

I also asked that they didnt take out the plastic to find the problem as more would probably start =(
Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zillmc
I have both these rattles as well. When i took mine in they said one of the clamps around the MMI screen was loose and they adjusted it which helped. The driver side door rattle is there but its slight, the MMI one was relaly bad but its much better now.

I also asked that they didnt take out the plastic to find the problem as more would probably start =(
Thanks for the info! How did they adjust the clamp around the MMI (without taking off the plastic)? And just to confirm, was/is your noise coming from the silver plastic around the MMI, or from the MMI screen itself?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My experience has shown me that asking the dealer to fix the rattle is normally worse than doing nothing. Once they start taking things apart, other issues come up and you may end up with more rattles in the end. My advice is to avoid at all costs the dealer fix and try to isolate and fix the rattle yourself or live with it and hope that it will go away. The season/weather will affect the on/off nature of the rattle too.

Quick Reply: Rattles already???