S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Realworld experiences with mods and AUDI dealerships (audicare/warranty service)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modifications void warranties - in general that is and always will be true. Are there extenuating circumstances = YES using stasis, an understanding dealership SURE.

But overall there are set policies and rules and it seems all to often on the board people focus on their personal feelings and exceptions versus the standards of practice and policies most will encounter.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by giovanni0330
Modifications void warranties - in general that is and always will be true. Are there extenuating circumstances = YES using stasis, an understanding dealership SURE.

But overall there are set policies and rules and it seems all to often on the board people focus on their personal feelings and exceptions versus the standards of practice and policies most will encounter.
Hopefully the EMCS and being able to tune back to stock will help a lot of us out in not voiding our warranty. However the fact that you can now change the tune with a combination of cruise control stalk inputs makes one wonder: wouldn't that make it easier for the dealer to find out that you have a tune?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Hopefully the EMCS and being able to tune back to stock will help a lot of us out in not voiding our warranty. However the fact that you can now change the tune with a combination of cruise control stalk inputs makes one wonder: wouldn't that make it easier for the dealer to find out that you have a tune?
Great question, and one I asked as well a while back. Apparently the ECU (with program-switching) has a lock-out mode which, when enabled, will not allow any inputs from the control stalk. The only way to enable the program-switching is by entering in your passcode (though I'm not sure how one inputs their passcode). Does that make sense?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

With EMCS and the security code feature, the dealer would literally have to sit there and go through every 4 digit combination until they got to your particular passcode in order for your car to do anything out of the ordinary. Here is how it will work:

http://www.goapr.com/support/emcs/mk5-dual.php

The odds of the dealer actually doing that are next to nil.

That said, if your engine goes boom and Audi decides to truly investigate and dig deep into your ECU, it's doubtful EMCS will help you.

Last edited by helix139; 07-31-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
With EMCS and the security code feature, the dealer would literally have to sit there and go through every 4 digit combination until they got to your particular passcode in order for your car to do anything out of the ordinary. Here is how it will work:

http://www.goapr.com/support/emcs/mk5-dual.php

The odds of the dealer actually doing that are next to nil.

That said, if your engine goes boom and Audi decides to truly investigate and dig deep into your ECU, it's doubtful EMCS will help you.
I see. That answers the question then. So when they dig deep into the ECU then I'm sure they will find the changes we have made.

Unfortunately our cars are very new, and we still don't know the long term effects of what the tune might do. Guess we can only cross fingers and pray.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

So you just go stasis and dont worry quite as much short term. It all depends if you want to currenty do the pulley or not. Warranty is the main reason to go Stasis plus with stasis you dont have to worry as much telling any dealer OR you have to go APR now if you want the Pulley. Everything else is a much smaller mute point. Other mods have their implications too. Bottom line it will be the specific dealer's and Audi's choice to be as cooperative or detailed and picky ans they want to be given circumstances and individual situations. Bottom line is any mod is a risk and each individual needs to determine their level of risk, modding and accordingly their choices.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
I see. That answers the question then. So when they dig deep into the ECU then I'm sure they will find the changes we have made.

Unfortunately our cars are very new, and we still don't know the long term effects of what the tune might do. Guess we can only cross fingers and pray.
Well, when it comes to long term effects, anything beyond 50,000 miles puts you out of warranty anyways. At that point, it won't matter whether you have Stasis, APR, or a stock tune, youre going to be in the same boat. That said, APR (who makes both their own tune and Stasis' tune) has done a buttload of testing both on their race car and on the owner's personal car that go beyond what most ordinary drivers will see. You can be reasonably confident that either tune is safe both short and long term. It then becomes a question of what you value:

1. a third party warranty (Stasis)

or

2. Multiple octane options, program switching with security lockout, and a Stage II pulley option (APR)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by giovanni0330
So you just go stasis and dont worry quite as much short term. It all depends if you want to currenty do the pulley or not. Warranty is the main reason to go Stasis plus with stasis you dont have to worry as much telling any dealer OR you have to go APR now if you want the Pulley. Everything else is a much smaller mute point. Other mods have their implications too. Bottom line it will be the specific dealer's and Audi's choice to be as cooperative or detailed and picky ans they want to be given circumstances and individual situations. Bottom line is any mod is a risk and each individual needs to determine their level of risk, modding and accordingly their choices.
I actually don't have to worry at all about telling my dealer about the APR tune, and to be honest, unless you are taking the car in for an issue which might even remnotely be related to having a tune on the car, there is no compelling reason to mention it to the dealer anyway. It would be like taking the car in for an oil change and mentioning that you used armor-all for tire dressing on the car - the don't care, and it will have no bearing on the work being performed.

mute - a person who cannot speak
moot - not relevant or unimportant
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think anyone has mentioned this yet....

The MM act does not stop a dealer/mfg from just saying NO to a repair requiring YOU to get a lawyer, go to court, and hope you have the proof to win.... meanwhile your broken car sits !

Yes, extreme case, but know of some on other mfg forums that have run into this...

Tuning to the max is a fine line over to broken

(but I will say I will be tuning our 2.0T fairly soon, just like my 4 other turbo'ed cars have been)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

IMO tunes have been fairly reliable from APR. The only area that really comes into question is the DSG transmission. 6MT cars don't have to worry. How often do you have an engine blow up? The SD should also be reliable. So the only question is still the DSG. This being a very new and expensive part is the only thing in question for long term. If the mechatronics fails than I think Audi will not have a problem but if the clutches fail than Audi might start to question why?

Quick Reply: Realworld experiences with mods and AUDI dealerships (audicare/warranty service)?