S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Realworld experiences with mods and AUDI dealerships (audicare/warranty service)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad you have no worries that is great for you - congratulations =) Unless one has a crystal ball one never knows everything. Hopefully in the midst of one of your non worry repairs there is no need for the dealer to do anything with the ECU. But then of course you have everything planned out and under control...lol =)

and just to make you feel good "APR Rules Dude" ...lol (did that just for you).

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I actually don't have to worry at all about telling my dealer about the APR tune, and to be honest, unless you are taking the car in for an issue which might even remnotely be related to having a tune on the car, there is no compelling reason to mention it to the dealer anyway. It would be like taking the car in for an oil change and mentioning that you used armor-all for tire dressing on the car - the don't care, and it will have no bearing on the work being performed.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by giovanni0330
I am glad you have no worries that is great for you - congratulations =) Unless one has a crystal ball one never knows everything. Hopefully in the midst of one of your non worry repairs there is no need for the dealer to do anything with the ECU. But then of course you have everything planned out and under control...lol =)

and just to make you feel good "APR Rules Dude" ...lol (did that just for you).
The dealer could not tell you have a flash unless they take the car out and log boost to redline (they would do this why?) or unless AoA gets involved with the repair (i.e. catastrophic failure) and decides to pull the ECU and run a checksum of its contents. Otherwise, it appears stock. After EMCS is officially available, the dealer can't even log boost to redline.

The ECU flash counter is maintained at its current number with APR and the same encryption that keeps people out that APR has cracked will keep the dealer from directly checking to see if you are tuned. They aren't just given the encryption keys with cart blanche to read ECU. Their VAG tool cannot detect it.

Yes, in the event of catastrophic engine failure, you are likely hosed with APR, and less likely to be hosed with Stasis. However, assuming either tune is safe and not likely to cause catastrophic failure (which I think we have established) how many engine failures do you know of that don't either happen almost right away due to manufacturing defect, (certainly within the first 10k miles) or after a considerably long period of time (certainly out of warranty) due to wear of components? I would guess the odds are fairly small, and about the same chance as getting left holding the bag with Stasis and Audi blaming each other for the cause of a failure.

I have neither tune so I have no horse in this game, but I've done my research and most of your fears seem unfounded.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think any of this really involves around "fears" versus some people legitimately want to avoid the possibility of complications more than others on a 50K plus car and thye have the right to that choice without lies and innuendo's. It's really that simple. As you stated (and are correct) either tune has shown positive numbers and no issues to date. Anything "could" happen with either or not. For the first 50K the potential of better compliance support is with stasis and the statement about Audi and Stasis arguing betwen them is simply just that a statement... So really after another thread about this beating a dead horse again - You get Stasis for the WARRANTY AND SECURITY and you currently get APR if you want the PULLEY and ADDITIONAL TUNE OPTIONS. Not sure why so many people have an issue with the honesty on this one.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The warranty and security is a red herring. AOA president said in an interview just last week, stating that Stasis work VOIDS the Audi warranty. The relationship between Audi and Stasis does not exist. Period. It's a deal struck between dealerships on an individual basis, and I have seen firsthand (and commented on the issues on the Audizine thread) the issues which can and do exist when there are disagreements of ownership over issues that Audi believes to be caused by aftermarket parts.

I know you think I am pro APR, and while I do like them, what I want people to understand is that the only way to modify a car and retain your warranty is NOT to modify it. If you mod your car, you are taking a gamble, and by taking this gamble, a chance something bad will happen that you have to pay for. The best way to modify the car is to be informed about the parts, company, and risk you are taking on, not by going with a company that has a warranty.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
... the only way to modify a car and retain your warranty is NOT to modify it. ....
Correctly stated !

You certainly can do whatever you want to YOUR car before or after warranty expiration.

If done before,
you have to be "not forthcoming" about it to your dealer in the case of a warranty need that THEY may infer warranty voided....

If done after,
you have to be "not forthcoming" to your significant other if you break their car

In my case I will wait about 10k miles to break in the car then enjoy the benefits of better performance, making it a 'new' car again...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 08-02-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Correctly stated !

You certainly can do whatever you want to YOUR car before or after warranty expiration.

If done before,
you have to be "not forthcoming" about it to your dealer in the case of a warranty need that THEY may infer warranty voided....

If done after,
you have to be "not forthcoming" to your significant other if you break their car

In my case I will wait about 10k miles to break in the car then enjoy the benefits of better performance, making it a 'new' car again...
Exactly John. With APR (and soon to have EMCS) you can put the car to stock mode, never say a word and cross the bridge of "do you have a tune that might be causing these issues" if you ever come to it. With Stasis, you will absolutely have a mark on your record stating that your warranty with Audi is now void, because you certainly have a tune - the dealer had to do the install for it to be certified.