S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Rear backup camera clarification

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear backup camera clarification

I have a order on a 2012 Ibis white, due to arrive 12/12. I ordered a Prem+, Nav, 19"s, and sports diff.

Spoke with dealer today, about clarifying the issue with the rear backup cameras not being installed at the factory.

He claims the the shortage has been met, and that even though I didn't specify the rear backup sensors, the car will indeed be equipped with a rear back camera.

Can anyone confirm this please? Not the end of the world if my car doesn't come with one, but if possible, for the extra 5 bills it's an option I'd like to have. I just want to make sure who is right here...since for the most part SA are clueless.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think 2011 model when you added Nav you also got the backup camera. 2012 model requires you to add the Nav and the camera to get both.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no stand alone camera option with Nav, do you mean the rear parking sensors?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would count on ordering the rear sensors. All kinds of stories, but for sure you get the camera with the rear sensors. If you can spring the extra $550 i would get the sensors to be safe. Plus you get audible and visual aids.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sducotey
You are correct. It appears that the camera comes with Nav but the parking sensors do not according to AudiUSA.com. THIS IS NOT TRUE!!
Please don't make the mistake I did! It cost me 5 more weeks of waiting. AudiUSA is incorrect in it's description. 2011's camera and sensors came with the Nav for $2500. In 2012 they broke it up 2000 and 550. However the dealer told me the camera was with the nav and that is not the case and had to reorder. The camera comes with the parking sensor option. And yes took delivery on mine this past Wednesday and it has the camera working. So they must have some chips in for now.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2012 sticker has separate line items for parking sensors and Nav, so this sounds accurate. However I DO NOT yet have my backup camera chip

I wish Audi would have filled the backorders in the field (or at least provided ETA dates) before they started shipping cars with functional cameras again.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

My guess is they have been splitting the distribution from their supplier between the factory and the dealerships. And it just takes longer for the dealerships to get the chips allocated and the customers called into the service dept.

From a cost perspective I doubt they would make sure the existing cars are taken care of before getting the chips to the factory. Much easier, faster and cheaper to install the chips on the assembly line than bog down the service department with the field services.

In the time it takes to install 6 months worth of existing customers think how many more cars would be produced without them.

To tell you the truth I am still turning around and looking until I get comfortable with the distance it looks on the camera and the actual distance. Like backing in the garage. I stopped, got out and looked how much room I have and get back in and look at the display to compare till I get used to it. The sensors go off and only half the car is in the garage!

In any effect I hope you get your chip soon. But hey there are so many things I am enjoying about this car that I don't think I would care as much about not having the chip and having to take it back for the install. Can't drive the car when it is in the shop!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I definitely understand (and actually agree with) putting chips in new cars as they are produced before filling the field back orders.

I am really upset that Audi can not be honest and communicate about what is happening. No one in the Audi organization (dealers, parts suppliers, AoA, etc) has information they are willing to share with current Audi owners about chip availability.

If the supply is turned back on and they have predictable manufacturing they should be able to to notify every single Audi owner of an expected install date +/- a week or two (even if it is March, 2012). Instead all we hear is "I don't know anything about the chip supply."

Add the MMI problems to the list and Audi has failed in their customer service. I have owned Toyota cars for the past 12 years and NEVER had to complain to the manufacturer for anything. I have had to complain to Audi more times than I can remember in the first two months of ownership.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451
I definitely understand (and actually agree with) putting chips in new cars as they are produced before filling the field back orders.

I am really upset that Audi can not be honest and communicate about what is happening. No one in the Audi organization (dealers, parts suppliers, AoA, etc) has information they are willing to share with current Audi owners about chip availability.

If the supply is turned back on and they have predictable manufacturing they should be able to to notify every single Audi owner of an expected install date +/- a week or two (even if it is March, 2012). Instead all we hear is "I don't know anything about the chip supply."

Add the MMI problems to the list and Audi has failed in their customer service. I have owned Toyota cars for the past 12 years and NEVER had to complain to the manufacturer for anything. I have had to complain to Audi more times than I can remember in the first two months of ownership.
What MMI problems? I'm just curious, so I can keep an eye out for it.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audifan22
What MMI problems? I'm just curious, so I can keep an eye out for it.
The first one was the lack of MMI ability to remember the current settings (mix, etc).

The second was my MMI blasting at full volume from the rear drivers side speaker on starting the car. Did it every time until I let the car sit for over an hour.

The third was the MMI screen blacking out on startup for about a 1/2 day.

Not sure what will be next, but I have lost confidence in Audi as a result.

Quick Reply: Rear backup camera clarification