S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Rear diff light came on. Dealer Friday.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
I've actually got mixed feelings about this practice - especially for something as major as a differential on a car as rare as an S4.

If, last fall, the my dealer had "my car" on the lot - I'd be very PO'd right now if I learned that they actually took a perfectly fine component off my car and replaced it prior to my purchase. Now, if they disclosed this prior to me buying - that's different, but if they sell it as "new from the factory" that's not true.
I agree. If they don't disclose it then its very wrong. I have a feeling they might forget to mention it to future buyer of this S4...
Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've actually got mixed feelings about this practice - especially for something as major as a differential on a car as rare as an S4.

If, last fall, the my dealer had "my car" on the lot - I'd be very PO'd right now if I learned that they actually took a perfectly fine component off my car and replaced it prior to my purchase. Now, if they disclosed this prior to me buying - that's different, but if they sell it as "new from the factory" that's not true.
I agree that it should be disclosed, and am not sure if they are required to or would. That said, and ordered car is not the same as "one on the lot" and they are not allowed to even let someone test drive YOUR car which they already took money down on because you haven't picked it up yet, so taking parts from it would never happen in this case. I do see what you mean in that if someone bought one off the lot though.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree here as well, I wouldn't want a car I am buying to have parts scavenged and replaced. No good reason, I can't make a case for the workmanship is not on par or anything like that. My car is at the dealership waiting on some parts but I can excercise some patience for a week.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I agree that it should be disclosed, and am not sure if they are required to or would. That said, and ordered car is not the same as "one on the lot" and they are not allowed to even let someone test drive YOUR car which they already took money down on because you haven't picked it up yet, so taking parts from it would never happen in this case. I do see what you mean in that if someone bought one off the lot though.
I'm not so sure about that. I know that if your car (that you ordered) is damaged at port and is repaired in a body shop, they are not legally obligated to tell you. The car isn't yours and they are given allowances to repair it if damaged. So if they swap out a part on an "ordered car" I'm pretty sure they wouldn't tell you. I don't trust car dealers as far as I can throw them (no offense if any of you work in the industry).
Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I completely agree with you guys. If they removed my Sports/Rear Diff and never told me, then sold me the car I would be upset. To me it's just not ethical, at some level. The dealerships 'try' to do repairs and get them the same as how they came from the factory...sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. A rear diff is obviously a major part of the car and highly complex. Now if we were talking about wiper blades or an air filter...no big deal.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+100!!!