S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Is Rear Diff option worth it if this is just a daily driver and nothing more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Rear Diff option worth it if this is just a daily driver and nothing more?

I don't plan to take this car to the track and I don't plan to do any wreckless driving. Will the rear diff option be worth it if I just plan on doing regular driving and the occasional semi-aggressive driving on city streets?

I figure I can use the $1K or so and apply it to something a bit more cosmetic or functional under normal driving circumstances, like B&O sound.

What do you guys think? I would hate to regret getting this option if it's a must for this vehicle.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

The sports diff is the defining feature of this car's performance in a lot of ways (see the numerous reviews that praise this option and say the same). Yeah sure you may not use it as much as the B&O, but is a must have in my opinion. B&O and the sports diff if you can swing it.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zillmc
The sports diff is the defining feature of this car's performance in a lot of ways (see the numerous reviews that praise this option and say the same). Yeah sure you may not use it as much as the B&O, but is a must have in my opinion. B&O and the sports diff if you can swing it.
I got 19s, S-tronic, Nav+, B&O, keyless, voice, & Sport Diff. But, I had back up sensors with my last Audi and I do miss them. How much do you use your Driver Assist? As much as your other features?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

The way I look at the diff is that it is only $1100cdn. What does it provide for the $1100?
1. Better resale
2. Provides 75% of what ADS will give you
3. Better handling during the aggressive cornering even on city driving.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes!!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Sports diff adds to the S4, the best of rear wheel drive handling. Wag the tail if you want but more importantly use throttle on and off to help steer the car. I suggest the Sports Diff has a safety aspect in taming the beast. I went from from 200 HP to 333 HP, which is an much different performance window. Sports diff will allow me to find my limits driving the car, with a extra margin of safety. It a daily driver then you happen to be driving twisties one afternoon, then you want it.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RLiu818
I don't plan to take this car to the track and I don't plan to do any wreckless driving. Will the rear diff option be worth it if I just plan on doing regular driving and the occasional semi-aggressive driving on city streets?

I figure I can use the $1K or so and apply it to something a bit more cosmetic or functional under normal driving circumstances, like B&O sound.

What do you guys think? I would hate to regret getting this option if it's a must for this vehicle.
I was in same boat as you and I skipped on rear diff. I was more concerned with quattro and engine. I don't plan on tracking car. I am leasing so no concern about resale value for me. I also drove an S4 without rear diff and still came away very impressed. Another thought I had was the potential for problems with rear diff.
Although I have not heard of any major issues with rear diff so far. I have to admit it is a nice piece of technology and definitely sets it apart from a 3 series. I also thought and probably not accurately that rear diff car would be worse in the snow.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997C2S
I also thought and probably not accurately that rear diff car would be worse in the snow.
Rear diff will help in any low traction/slip scenario, it cannot tell what is causing the slip - be it rain, sand, gravel, snow, or just a driver taking a corner too hard and causing the inside rear tire to unload weight and slip.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RLiu818
IWhat do you guys think? I would hate to regret getting this option if it's a must for this vehicle.
A4 S-Line if you're more about cosmetics.

Sport Diff is what make you grin when you whip out of an impossible corner.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drrick89
I got 19s, S-tronic, Nav+, B&O, keyless, voice, & Sport Diff. But, I had back up sensors with my last Audi and I do miss them. How much do you use your Driver Assist? As much as your other features?
Surprisingly I've found the Drive Assist to be very useful and a nice safety feature. It's quite convenient to just glance at the mirror to see if cars are around you/coming rather than a full head turn, especially in traffic. I prefer that feature over the backup sensors and camera, but it's a nice have.

Quick Reply: Is Rear Diff option worth it if this is just a daily driver and nothing more?