S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Rear view camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that it is worth a call.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Let me just put this out there to ponder.

The part needed to make the backup camera visible was built in a factory that can no longer produce it at the moment. Audi is sourcing the part from another factory and hopes to have them ready by first quarter of '12.

All customers are notified of the situation before placing an order for a car. The cars still have sensors that alert the user of how close they are in proximity to something.

The fact that this part is not currently available is NOT Audi's fault. It is not a part that can cause damage to a vehicle/driver during use. It will not inhibit the driving experience. It has not been deemed a recall by the manufacturer.

Why would AOA offer a product(AudiCare) that costs them $800-1000 to a customer because of a situation out of their control?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
The fact that this part is not currently available is NOT Audi's fault. It is not a part that can cause damage to a vehicle/driver during use. It will not inhibit the driving experience.
First off let me say I don't need to have free Audi Care but I have to disagree with this part of your post.

It definitely is Audi's fault, it's the way the business model works. It's something that was ordered and not received.

If my supplier drops the ball on me I definitely don't tell my customer it's not my fault. They don't want to hear that. I may explain what happened but ultimately I'm responsible to supply that customer with the paid parts.

Once again, I don't expect the free Audi Care. I'm not saying that "Audi" hasn't taken responsibility either but just commenting on your post.

I do really like my rear cameras. In some cases they help me to get as close to a fixed object as possible to create more room so the mobile objects hopefully don't get me

I guess it will be nice when they are all working properly

Last edited by imolar; 09-01-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dude, have some decency. The supplier was knocked out by the tsunami. It's not like it's Audis fault. They don't control weather. Plus many other factories got wiped out too.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, have some decency. The supplier was knocked out by the tsunami. It's not like it's Audis fault. They don't control weather. Plus many other factories got wiped out too.
Concur.

Using a rear view mirror, and the neck muscles, certainly won't hurt anyone for a few months...
Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bandersen
Concur.

Using a rear view mirror, and the neck muscles, certainly won't hurt anyone for a few months...
I have found the parking sensors to be very helpful while waiting for the rear camera.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It went over.....nevermind. Dude.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I asked my dealer. No free Audi Care. No biggie.

I agree it's not Audi's fault. I think BMW is also impacted. Many new BMW cars are missing the rear view cameras too.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe "fault" isn't coming across like I intended. It's not that big of a deal to me as I said that I wouldn't expect anything for the trouble. The horrific disaster in Japan was definitely out of Audi's control.

Would be nice to think that there was an alternate source though even if a supplier had problems from something other than this uncontrollable catastrophe.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by imolar
Maybe "fault" isn't coming across like I intended. It's not that big of a deal to me as I said that I wouldn't expect anything for the trouble. The horrific disaster in Japan was definitely out of Audi's control.

Would be nice to think that there was an alternate source though even if a supplier had problems from something other than this uncontrollable catastrophe.
Understand where youre coming from. The last thing I have is that everyone was informed of the missing piece to make the backup camera work BEFORE taking delivery. So, its you're choice to drive the car off the lot or not. If you drove it off the lot, you accept that there is a delay in having this part functional.

However, if it was undisclosed at the time of purchase, thats a different story.

Quick Reply: Rear view camera