S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

rev. limiter

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rev. limiter

my friend test drove my car last night, the schmuck went to red line & beyond a couple of times while driving, claiming it caught him off guard, specially on dynamic mode, the question is: why didn't the rev. limiter cut off power? also how bad could a couple of trips to 7200 rpm affect the engine?
Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zamalek
my friend test drove my car last night, the schmuck went to red line & beyond a couple of times while driving, claiming it caught him off guard, specially on dynamic mode, the question is: why didn't the rev. limiter cut off power? also how bad could a couple of trips to 7200 rpm affect the engine?
If the engine was warmed up then you will be fine, but if he turned the car on and gunned it down the street, then I would be a little worried to be honest. Never should anyone put that much pressure on a engine when its cold, just not healthy at all...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ x2
Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Banned

Rev limiter was designed for exactly the situation you described. Saftey feature to PREVENT over revving and engine damage. It is set lower than what the engine can really safely tollerate. Shouldn't be a problem. But as previously posted, I would not want anyone doing it when the engine was cold. Actually, since you are still in the break in period, it probably did more good than harm.

Last edited by DrGP; 05-02-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree with what everyone here has said. However, you commented your friend went "beyond" redline. The only way that is possible is to downshift to a gear that's too low for the speed you are traveling at (like throwing it into 2nd at 80 MPH). The speed of the car will run the engine up over redline (the rev limiter won't help you).

If that happened, you could be in trouble depending on how far over your friend went (and how many times they did it).
Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
I agree with what everyone here has said. However, you commented your friend went "beyond" redline. The only way that is possible is to downshift to a gear that's too low for the speed you are traveling at (like throwing it into 2nd at 80 MPH). The speed of the car will run the engine up over redline (the rev limiter won't help you).

If that happened, you could be in trouble depending on how far over your friend went (and how many times they did it).
And that's what we call a "money shift"
Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky

That's a great point. Zamalek, is yours a 6MT? If so, mellow's explanation makes sense. Downshifting to too low of a gear will over-rev in any car, and the limiter won't save you. Hopefully, nothing too bad will come of it if it wasn't revving too high or for too long.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

actually, all 3 7200 rpm run he did were on first gear take off, no down shifting, the engine was about 20 min. running in 80 deg. evening, but i was surprised the rev. limiter didn't cut power @ 7200 rpm, in my 993 it did so just @ red line, also in my clk 55 & bmw 330i, does this mean the red line is set below the danger zone on this car? the car is 6mt by the way.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by zamalek
actually, all 3 7200 rpm run he did were on first gear take off, no down shifting, the engine was about 20 min. running in 80 deg. evening, but i was surprised the rev. limiter didn't cut power @ 7200 rpm, in my 993 it did so just @ red line, also in my clk 55 & bmw 330i, does this mean the red line is set below the danger zone on this car? the car is 6mt by the way.
Yes, this means Audi is very comfortable with the 7200 rpm redline and the rev limiter is set a little higher. This is good because if the redline was set at the fuel shut off point, there is a greater chance of bouncing off the limiter which makes the driver (guilty a few times) look like an idiot.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Rev limiter was designed for exactly the situation you described. Saftey feature to PREVENT over revving and engine damage. It is set lower than what the engine can really safely tollerate. Shouldn't be a problem. But as previously posted, I would not want anyone doing it when the engine was cold. Actually, since you are still in the break in period, it probably did more good than harm.
that's good to know drgp

Quick Reply: rev. limiter