S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Ride quality compared to BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're constantly comparing the S4 to 335i's. You know it rains (in all) and snows (in many) places in real life...

It makes the fact that the Audi performance is that close (actually better) in dry tests prove that it is the better machine when reality sets in.

There is no F30 335xi 4-door, but when/if there is lets see what those comparisons show.

Last edited by FatalBert; 04-17-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somehow I found the RFT tires on 3 series to be much more noisy than S4's 19 inch, though all objective measurement put them to be almost exactly the same (S4 being 1 or 2 dbs quieter).

Not sure about F30, the 335i coupe I drove with sports suspension is more bumpy than S4 as well. It's generally believed that 3 series without sports suspension suffers in performance, but with sports suspension then it becomes more uncomfortable.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've driven around 10,000 miles in the E90 335i, and around 5,000 miles in the S4 now. Ride quality in the E90 335i ranges from spine breaking to sublime, unfortunately. The E90 has three suspensions: "xDrive," sport and standard. The standard suspension is available only in non-sport sedans; the sport suspension is the ONLY option in sport package ("M Sport" in some places) sedans, and ALL coupe models (even the base 328i coupe has the sport suspension, even if it doesn't have the sport package). The xDrive/all wheel drive cars, regardless of sedan or coupe, sport or not, have an uncomfortable in-between.

The standard sedan suspension may be among the best I've experienced and is quite similar to the E60 5 series, though even more controlled due to the lighter weight of the 3 series. It's wonderfully compliant and creamy, yet lacks too much body roll. It can't be considered soft, and won't beat an M3 in the curves, but it's absolutely wonderful for 95% of driving, including any spirited back road driving on anything less than ideal pavement. This is very, very similar to the non-ADS S4 tuning. (The ADS-equipped S4s set to comfort, IMO, are more rubbery without necessarily being more compliant than the standard E90 sedan suspension, but that's nitpicking.) If the standard E90 rode and handled identically when equipped with AWD, I'd have gone that route over the S4. But it doesn't.

The sport suspension is among the worst I've ever experienced on bad roads. It's absurd. It must have 25% of the travel of the S4. It scrapes on everything. It bottoms out on everything. It makes your brain bleed, your kidneys explode, your teeth crack. It works wonderfully on completely smooth roads -- think Arizona. If you live anywhere with pockmarked roads, or have snow, or drive in cities, or ever deal with speed bumps, these cars are completely useless. I've outdriven a friend driving a 335i coupe on extremely bumpy Bay Area roads in the hills with a VW rental car, because the crunchy sport suspension of the E90 coupes just can't get any traction with those horrible runflats they come with. BMW needs to test their cars in American cities before shipping them here. Completely unacceptable to the point of souring me on the brand entirely.

The xDrive E90s are even worse. They have heavy duty shocks and stiffer springs to cope with the much higher curb weight of their AWD system, so you get a lot of the disadvantages of the sports suspension while having a comically high ride height. It feels like you're sitting on top of a bowling ball. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Totally ruins the car. At least they don't scrape on everything...

I'd love to get some quality time with the F30, as I can't speak for it at all. But I can tell you the S4 with the Alu Kreuz and upgraded sway bars combines almost every single positive trait of the standard E90 (compliancy, suppleness, control) with the E90 sport package (low body roll, quick turn-in, excellent steering feel). I'd be stunned if the F30 could beat that combination, but who knows.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree on a smooth road the 335i is great, but hit a couple of bumps and you are done. I have broken my back three times (yeah so I am slightly crazy..moto-cross, skydiving, and aikido)and like I said RFT's are a nightmare in more ways than one. The only one that truly benefits is BMWNA. They cut down on cost of design and product, while passing it on to the customer under the premise of convenience. There is no convenience in being without your car for three days just to change a flat tire. I am on a wait list for the 335i xdrive as I want to be fully sure of my decision when I order my next toy as I still believe spending $50k + on a car is a lot and should be exactly what you expect and want. So far the S4 wins in all categoreies except one I have to experience which is service after the sale.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
I agree on a smooth road the 335i is great, but hit a couple of bumps and you are done. I have broken my back three times (yeah so I am slightly crazy..moto-cross, skydiving, and aikido)and like I said RFT's are a nightmare in more ways than one. The only one that truly benefits is BMWNA. They cut down on cost of design and product, while passing it on to the customer under the premise of convenience. There is no convenience in being without your car for three days just to change a flat tire. I am on a wait list for the 335i xdrive as I want to be fully sure of my decision when I order my next toy as I still believe spending $50k + on a car is a lot and should be exactly what you expect and want. So far the S4 wins in all categoreies except one I have to experience which is service after the sale.
sorry but i have to chuckle at the aikido being in there with motocross and skydiving lol
Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try the new F30 335i, the suspension is softer with the new
f30 than the e90.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I drove an 07 E90 335i with the 18 inch 162 style wheels. In 5 years I had 3 "eggs" on 3 of my RFTs.

Each change out costing $800 plus.

Further, I took great care of those 162s style wheels...trust me those eggs on the side walls were not from pot holes or curb inflicted damage (as BMW claimed).

So take it from me those RFTs are a Major pain and Expensive to maintain.

If you go F30 335i...you must get the tire insurance.

It's expensive but so is an $800 tire.

With respect to ride....I find the 19s on my 2012 S4 to be a little more forgiving than the RFTs on my 162s.

What is far superior is the supercharged V6 over the N55.

Having come from the twin set up on the N54....I just could not go to the N55.

Perhaps the lag on the N55 is not bad...but it just is not as good as the N54 set up.

The S4 supercharged V6 was the closest I could find. In fact its superior to both N55 and 54.

The N54 by a smaller margin.