S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Road hazard insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road hazard insurance

I purchased the road hazard insurance on my previous S5 for $1300. Now that I traded my S5 in for an S4, the dealer says I can get a prorated refund since I filed no claims (you get a full refund if less than 60 days). It's a 5 year contract, so I should get a good portion back.

Last night I started reading the fine print on the contract and was shocked at what a bad deal this is. If you have it or are considering it, please read the fine print. Here are some highlights (paraphrased):

- Does not cover incidents that occur in a road construction area or uneven road.
- Does not cover after market tires
- Does not cover damage if your primary auto insurance will cover it
- If rim is damaged, will not replace if tire can still maintain a seal
- Driver error (curb rash etc) not covered
- Sidewall damage not covered

There were many more that I can't recall. Basically you have to puncture the tire with a nail, or maybe a pothole. Everything else, not covered. And I would think if you actually bent your rims beyond repair, you were in a pretty bad accident, in which case your auto policy would pay for it.

For $1300 I would have to damage all 4 tires to break even. I'm just going to keep my money this time and pay for the incidents as they happen. Knock on wood, I think I will come out on top.

Anyone that wishes to cancel their tire insurance they purchased, is entitled to a prorated refund. Read your contract, under "Right to Cancel".
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

who was the coverage through? when I got mine I didn't see any of that in there but I might have to look again. Weird enough my wheel and tire coverage is through Mercedes Benz but I got it at the Audi dealer, also the extended warranty they offered me was through Nissan.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, from experience, if you replace a 19'' tire on an S4, it easily costs $400 with mounting and tax. If you replaced three tires in 5 years you'd be even. Seems likely that you'd replace three tires in 5 years due to pot holes. Whether you do it or not you pretty much come out even.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

The road hazard insurance I purchased spells out coverage for the exclusions you mentioned. Must be a different underwriter. Also, these polies are highly negotiable. I paid $500 for mine.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Muray
Well, from experience, if you replace a 19'' tire on an S4, it easily costs $400 with mounting and tax. If you replaced three tires in 5 years you'd be even. Seems likely that you'd replace three tires in 5 years due to pot holes. Whether you do it or not you pretty much come out even.
I lived in NYC area for about 15 years and never had a flat tire due to a pothole. This is the first year having 19" tires to be fair though. Previously was 17 and 18".

I just feel like 3-4 flats in 5 years would be unlikely for me.

I don't see how I come out even either way. If I have no flats, or 1 flat. I save over $1000 not getting the insurance.

I understand the insurance might make sense to some. I was more pointing out that there is a lot of exlusions in my contract, so definitely read them before making a decision.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Each dealership tends to use different warranty companies for each of the items sold in the F&I department.

For instance, our tire+wheel coverage has no deductable, will fix curb rash with no maximum amount of times or minimum time frames and will fix/replace bent rims.