S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Road & Track - S4 vs. Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road & Track - S4 vs. Boxster Spyder

Forgive me if this has already been discussed as I have been busy with family in town for Independence Day weekend. I am surprised to see that no one has commented on the Aug '11 Road & Track article comparing the '11 S4 6-spd to an '11 Boxster Spyder (the lightest, fastest and most powerful Boxster).

They seem to have managed the quickest 0-60 time for a stock S4 at 4.4 seconds...the same as the 965lb lighter Boxster! They aren't really suggesting that someone would cross shop the two cars (in fact they said it wasn't really apples to oranges, but more like apples to coconuts), but it was a very good article.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...ance-part-deux
Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did exactly that they did...I have since traded my S4 for a CPO Boxster Spyder, in fact my Stasis S4 is faster but the fun factor goes to the Spyder like in the article.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Makes me wonder what a DSG with launch control would do..

But yeah, apples to coconuts for sure. I'm personally not a fan of the Boxster, but I'm sure its a fun car.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
Makes me wonder what a DSG with launch control would do..

But yeah, apples to coconuts for sure. I'm personally not a fan of the Boxster, but I'm sure its a fun car.
My new S-tronic tranny - with 2012 software & hardware - should be shipping from Germany by the end of the week, so I should be getting my 2010 S4 back from the dealership in a week and a half or so. When I get the car back, I'll be sure to give you guys a full report.

I agree with you, though. Comparing a daily driver, like the S4, to a mid engine sports car, like the Boxter, doesn't make much sense to me!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Idiots... them and C&D... you are comparing a 2-seater maxed out version to an S4 without ADS.....

I am amazed at low quality of these articles....
Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by drrick89
My new S-tronic tranny - with 2012 software & hardware - should be shipping from Germany by the end of the week, so I should be getting my 2010 S4 back from the dealership in a week and a half or so. When I get the car back, I'll be sure to give you guys a full report.

I agree with you, though. Comparing a daily driver, like the S4, to a mid engine sports car, like the Boxter, doesn't make much sense to me!
It's good to know that our cars come so close to the sports cars they don't make sense to be compared with! Makes me glad!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drrick89

DrRick-

How long now without your car? You must be nearing a B8 S4 record. I thought the 15 days without mine was bad.

Bruce
Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
DrRick-

How long now without your car? You must be nearing a B8 S4 record. I thought the 15 days without mine was bad.

Bruce
Dropped the car off @ the dealership on June 7th, so tomorrow will be a month. Fortunately, they're supposed to be making a car payment for me.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by plivac
Idiots... them and C&D... you are comparing a 2-seater maxed out version to an S4 without ADS.....

I agree about R&T - I've never been impressed with their articles. They are neither funny nor detailed enough for my taste. On the other hand, I've found C&D to be a bit more accurate and far more entertaining. Here's a comparison between the RS5, M3 and CTS-V on the ring. The RS5 doesn't win, but at least for understandable reasons.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by plivac

I think it's an awesome article for the B8 S4. This is NOT a traditional comparison ...this is a 'wow...you can get sports car performance in 4 door sedans' article, and is a gigantic compliment to the S4. They were STUNNNED by what the S4 did when they tested it last year. This is a followup to that to show just how absurdly good it is as a performer.

How that went over your head, I will never understand.

Quick Reply: Road & Track - S4 vs. Boxster Spyder