S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Running out of VAG COM idea's...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks redrocker..
Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is it very difficult to operate the VAG COM? I don't have any experience with it, but seeing as how we have 3 Audi's in the family, I've thought about purchasing one.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B6bydesign
Is it very difficult to operate the VAG COM? I don't have any experience with it, but seeing as how we have 3 Audi's in the family, I've thought about purchasing one.
Just a 6' cable with a USB on one end and an ODB connector on the other which plugs into the ODB port down near the foot rest on the drivers side footwell. The software is Windows bases, and has a button/GUI which is easy to use. The only caveat is to be sure what you are doing prior to doing it, and don't do anything not mentioned in the instructions, as you can do some harm to the MMI (like wiping out NAV, causing error codes, etc).

It's pretty non-invasive overall and you not trying to scare you but just be cautious is all - most things you cannot change which would do any real harm, but some could cause you to need a tow to the dealer to have the MMI reflashed.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShowCarMike
Is there a site where we can look up all the Vag-com items. I want to do a few things to my car but want to see a list of things i can do.
Try these: http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/article...des.html#codes
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html
Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
The only caveat is to be sure what you are doing prior to doing it, and don't do anything not mentioned in the instructions, as you can do some harm to the MMI (like wiping out NAV, causing error codes, etc).

It's pretty non-invasive overall and you not trying to scare you but just be cautious is all - most things you cannot change which would do any real harm, but some could cause you to need a tow to the dealer to have the MMI reflashed.
To that end, it is always a good idea to record or save your stock settings prior to making changes should you ever make a mistake and cannot figure out how to get it back.

Also, if you are working with the long coding following instructions and you are trying to get back to stock settings, do not rely on someone's coding as different models and options will create different long codes.

I learned the hard way: I was messing around on my MKV GTI to get the rear hatch to pop and randomly changes settings which effectively prevented my car from locking but allowed the alarm to arm, only the car was always armed! It took me some time to get it back properly, as I never followed my own advice (keep a record of your stock coding)
Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I'll also add that I changed my DRL's to be on 100% brightness when parking and headlights are on.
can you tell me how to keep DRL on 100% brightness with headlights on?? I already enabled with parking lights on, but not with headlights. I thought you weren't able get full brightness with headlights.. please tell.

EDIT: nevermind.. I found the answer.. thanks!!!
Adjust LED Brightness
This will allow you to change the intensity of the LED's when your headlights are on. By default the LED's are only 8-9% or brightness.

[09 – Cent. Elect.]
[Security Access - 16] (enter security code. One of the default codes is- 20113)
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 3
Enter new value for LED brightness i.e. "100" If you want LED's at 100%.
Values bellow 5 turns the LED's off and generates an error code and warning in DIS
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes that is the one, works great
Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Question I have is....Do you S4 B8 owners think it is worth having this Vagcom program if your car is not equipped with the navigation system?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

I do. Most of the changes don't require having Nav.

The other thing is, sooner or later its going to have a problem and "throw a code". With the vag tool you can at least tell what the code is - and maybe get on-line help with a diagnosis. Not that I don't trust my dealer's service department, but ... well, actually, I don't.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there a list of people who offer Vag-Com cable use in various areas?? I personally dont want to go to the expense of buying the cable and software for only a few changes (blinking etc) so hoping someone in the Calgary area might offer up the service???

Quick Reply: Running out of VAG COM idea's...