S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: How do you drive your S-Tronic? Auto, Sport or Manual?
Auto
31.43%
Sport
37.14%
Manual
31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

S-Tronic - Auto, Sport or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Tronic - Auto, Sport or Manual?

Just curious how everyone drives their S-Tronic most of the time. . .
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is the sport mode? I thought it was either auto or manual modes. In manual I can shift using column mounted paddles
Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are not in manual (M), you are in either D or S. You switch by pulling back on the shifter to where it says d/s. The shifter doesn't actually slide to a new position but just by rocking it to there it flips. You see the mode change on the instrument display. Switching to dynamic engages it too.
I heard it might have been different on pre-2013s

Effect is much more aggressive throttle and shifting, but its still completely automatic.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My current ride a 2010 S4 which I just sold is Stronic. Wife drives in in D auto. When I drive the cra which is 97% of the time it's always in full manual dynamic. I drive her in D dynamic each morning until it gets to operating temperature. Then she's driven in manual like I stole her. I have a company gas card so fuel economy is not a concern.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KZEVO
What is the sport mode? I thought it was either auto or manual modes. In manual I can shift using column mounted paddles
Hey KZEVO, you can move the shifter all the way down to S mode which gives you higher revs before shifting. Not sure if it affects throttle response. You can't move into paddle shift mode when in S, but you can still use the paddles and the car will revert back to its own desired gearing after a few secs with no paddle input from you.

Regarding dynamic etc, not all cars have ADS that allows you to change the behavior of the car (suspension, steering, throttle). I don't have this, but I enabled some of it with VAGCOM. I drive in M mode 99% of the time.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
My current ride a 2010 S4 which I just sold is Stronic. Wife drives in in D auto. When I drive the cra which is 97% of the time it's always in full manual dynamic. I drive her in D dynamic each morning until it gets to operating temperature. Then she's driven in manual like I stole her. I have a company gas card so fuel economy is not a concern.
I'm sure you know this, but you can drive in M mode when the engine is cold and just keep the rpms down. No redlining until the oil temp is up Driving in D works too of course as long as you don't stomp on it. Hope your 2013 comes soon!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
I'm sure you know this, but you can drive in M mode when the engine is cold and just keep the rpms down. No redlining until the oil temp is up Driving in D works too of course as long as you don't stomp on it. Hope your 2013 comes soon!
How do you put it in Manual mode so you control shifts solely with the paddle shifter? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i drive it in D.. until temp is up... and then shift to S mode.

i have 13 S4. I don't know much about pre-13 car..
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by isles1
How do you put it in Manual mode so you control shifts solely with the paddle shifter? Thanks.
When in D, move the shifter to the right. You can then use the paddles or the shifter.

Note that you can use the paddles at anytime, in D, S, or M mode. In D or S, though, the DSG will default back to its desired gearing after a few secs if you stop providing input. This can be helpful if you just want to downshift quickly for a pass or a sharp turn and then just let the DSG go back to higher gears after. I personally drive in M pretty much all the time. The car doesn't know when I'm about to turn, go up or down a big hill, whatever. I keep the RPMs around 2K or just under for cruising but the DSG will drop down to 1500 or so if you are in D mode which helps your MPGs a bit.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
Hey KZEVO, you can move the shifter all the way down to S mode which gives you higher revs before shifting. Not sure if it affects throttle response. You can't move into paddle shift mode when in S, but you can still use the paddles and the car will revert back to its own desired gearing after a few secs with no paddle input from you.

Regarding dynamic etc, not all cars have ADS that allows you to change the behavior of the car (suspension, steering, throttle). I don't have this, but I enabled some of it with VAGCOM. I drive in M mode 99% of the time.
ThAnk you for clarifying

Quick Reply: S-Tronic - Auto, Sport or Manual?