S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-tronic hesitates

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gmermel
No disrespect intended, as I do appreciate your help: downshifting to accelerate for a pass is routine. On a 2 lane road, putting along in 7th/2000rpm's at 65 I would expect I would grab 3rd at whatever rpm's to execute the pass and quickly get to XX mph.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm doing it to slow. When I do, the rpm's rise appropriately, but on engaging there is a lurch as the resistance hits.

I just went out in the S4 and then my R32/DSG and will start a new thread to report......
See in this exact situation you list, 7th and 3rd are on the same input shaft, and it will take a long second for the DSG to hit 3rd, as it has to:
clutch, disengage 7th, rev the **** out of the engine to the speed it needs to be to match where 3rd will place the engine RPM, engage 3rd, release clutch.

Very normal for it to hesitate while revving the engine for a change on the same shaft, however if in this same scenario, you pull the "-" paddle 4 fast times, will be faster (oddly enough) and sequentially drop through the gears.

Here's a video I shot showing how fast you can downshift hitting the paddles - note the gear indicator in the bottom left of the DIS and the tach - you almost cannot even see the individual gears as it moves through them

I start this video in 7th gear BTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2W4Pj3DsTg
Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scenario

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy

I start this video in 7th gear BTW
I would be very interested in seeing a video from gmermel of what he is describing. But it sounds different than your video because you are downshifting while slowing and the tach is not downshifting to over 4K. Sounds like he is downshifting while accelerating in the meat of the powerband. So he is gassing it around 3500 RPM right when the car is in the sweet spot and downshifting to 5K while accelerating.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Hard Driver
I would be very interested in seeing a video from gmermel of what he is describing. But it sounds different than your video because you are downshifting while slowing and the tach is not downshifting to over 4K. Sounds like he is downshifting while accelerating in the meat of the powerband. So he is gassing it around 3500 RPM right when the car is in the sweet spot and downshifting to 5K while accelerating.
I'd love to see it as well. I can easily shoot one where I am hammering the throttle - I have the VCDS mod so it now shows what gear I am in no matter the mode.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
See in this exact situation you list, 7th and 3rd are on the same input shaft, and it will take a long second for the DSG to hit 3rd, as it has to:
clutch, disengage 7th, rev the **** out of the engine to the speed it needs to be to match where 3rd will place the engine RPM, engage 3rd, release clutch.

Here's a video I shot showing how fast you can downshift hitting the paddles - note the gear indicator in the bottom left of the DIS and the tach - you almost cannot even see the individual gears as it moves through them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2W4Pj3DsTg
I'm very impressed with that video.

Your description of the mechanics involved is helpful, but the description I've made applies to a 7-4 downshift as well......

Your video looks and SOUNDS the way I would expect the S-tronic to work. Even the sound as the RPM's jump is musical. Mine ain't that way....

I'm sure something is wrong. And am getting the car serviced.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Definitely get it serviced and let us know!